107 license

Reaction score
How hard is it to get your 107 license? I read somewhere about a 300 question test. I hate test anyway and it may be way out of my league. I am 72 and haven't taken any kind of test in years. Just wondering how hard it is. I would like to do some real estate video for a friend in the business. Looking for advice. Thaks

How hard is it to get your 107 license?
If you have any aviation knowledge, it may not be too difficult. I looked in to it at one time and decided against it. Right now the market is flooded, and getting the Part 107 is a bit like being an actual pilot. You will need to know weather charts, sectional charts, airspace regulations, etc..etc...There are numerous sites to get more detailed information on that.

Fly Dawg is correct.

It’s not a 300 question test. It’s 40 I think. But the question pool is much larger.

The initial test is 60 questions; 40 for the recurrent (every two years).
You will have two hours to complete the test.
You must pass with a 70%

Topics and percentage on test
Aircraft operations 35 – 45%
Regulations 15 – 25%
Airspace and Requirements 15 – 25%
Weather 11 – 16%
Loading and Performance 7 – 11%

Download the Remote Pilot Knowledge Test Guide for all the details

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
It is not easy, but if you study , you will pass. Get familiar with charts, weather, and regulations. I watched many youtubes..there are very good ones. I am not a kid either..and I passed with 93.

Perhaps a suggestion....
As a licensed REALTOR and a currently un-107-licensed drone pilot, I know that I cannot engage in any commercial services. (as in charging $$$ for my flying.)
However, if I gift my video to another REALTOR and HE then charges the end user for it, methinks I am breaking no laws.
Whaday'all think?

Perhaps a suggestion....
As a licensed REALTOR and a currently un-107-licensed drone pilot, I know that I cannot engage in any commercial services. (as in charging $$$ for my flying.)
However, if I gift my video to another REALTOR and HE then charges the end user for it, methinks I am breaking no laws.
Whaday'all think?
No dice. It’s not a hobby flight. It will be seen as clever by half.

Perhaps a suggestion....
Whaday'all think?
Also you don’t only have to be charging for it. If you do it for your own listing you aren’t charging. You are furthering your business though. Also if you wanted to volunteer your services for a land conservancy it’s also not a hobby flight even though you aren’t making money.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT and N42742
Perhaps a suggestion....
Whaday'all think?
Totally ..... breaking the law.

Reactions: N42742
It is 60 questions, you have two hours to complete the test. It can be taken at any CATS testing center. FWIW I passed I studied for a couple weeks a few hours each night ( downloaded the study guide from the FAA website). I watched a few videos on youtube. It's not hard at all.

My company purchased a Phantom 4 pro. My general manager appointed myself in charge of it as I have shown him some videos I made as a hobbyist. But as an employee of a company and being compensated for my employment (i.e., earning a paycheck) I would have to obtain a Part 107 Certificate (not a Licence BTW) to fly our UAS legally.

If in any way shape or form you are earning money within ANY aspect of operating a UAS you will need a Part 107 Certificate to fly legally. The post above about gifting photos and videos is not legal and terrible advice.

Edit to Add:

You can go to 3DRs website and take the practice exam, it's basically the same questions you will see on the real test. Once your done, review the questions you got wrong, study those topics. Wash rinse repeat as necessary.

Last edited:
Hi, Bullerman. None of us were born with this knowledge. You can learn it just like anyone else. It just takes a little time and commitment.

If you'd like to see the kind of questions that appear on the test, try this sample exam. (It will provide explanations for your wrong answers so you'll learn something in the process.)
Gold Seal – Pass Your Drone Test or We’ll Pay For It

Perhaps a suggestion....
Whaday'all think?

INTENT of the flight is what matters. Did you do the flight for purely hobby/recreational purposes with no intention of selling/giving/sharing the product with the other Realtor?

Hobby/Recreation/336 flights are exactly that and it does NOT matter if you make money/beer/food for it. INTENT of the flight is all that matters.

"Me" would be wrong in the above situation.

This is to grtday - I checked on a similar situation by calling the FAA. They said that anything (pictures / Videos) taken from a drone used in promoting your business (which using them to sell a house) whether money changed hands or not is considered commercial use. You can check for yourself by calling the FAA like I did at (844) 359-6982. I would be very careful about trying to scheme ways around the FAA regulations, since the penalty for violations can be from $25,000 to $250,000 and include jail time. See Drone Operator Will Pay $200,000 Fine for Violating FAA Regulations where violating the FAA regulations cost them $200,000.

I am a 75 year old 107 licensed drone pilot. I have never really needed the license as my work is recreational but I feel ALL serious pilots should take the test just to understand safety and other issues that can be associated with flying drones. I studied only the FAA online material, but I would recommend an online or in person course. Now I am learning (by experience, trial-and-error) how to capture and edit drone video. This is my sample video that has integrated 4 trips to a lighthouse over 2 years. I think it takes a 1000 hours to become an expert, but you need to enjoy the learning process each step of the way and just "go for it"! Link to training video:

Last edited:
How hard is it to get your 107 license? I read somewhere about a 300 question test. I hate test anyway and it may be way out of my league. I am 72 and haven't taken any kind of test in years. Just wondering how hard it is. I would like to do some real estate video for a friend in the business. Looking for advice. Thaks
Hi there. I'm 75 and have had the 107 for two years. Study, read and have someone ask you questions from your study material. Don't let your age and testing inexperience hinder you. Go for it!! The reward is great. When you pass the test, you get "bragging rights". Good luck.

Hi there. I'm 75 and have had the 107 for two years. Study, read and have someone ask you questions from your study material. Don't let your age and testing inexperience hinder you. Go for it!! The reward is great. When you pass the test, you get "bragging rights". Good luck.
Amen, great advice. The test is not really that difficult if you are willing to put some time into studying the material. And you don't need to spend any money in courses to pass - there is plenty of free information out there on the internet. The practice tests that you can find out on the internet are very much representative of what is actually in the test.

Study the the material and then when you think you are ready, take some of the free practice tests to gauge if you are ready to take the real test.

There are many videos on Youtube that explain some of the more difficult concepts and many practice tests on line to help you out. Prepware's Remote Pilot is a $5 App that I used to help. I studied on and off for 3 months and did very well on the test, you can too.

INTENT of the flight is what matters. Did you do the flight for purely hobby/recreational purposes with no intention of selling/giving/sharing the product with the other Realtor?

Hobby/Recreation/336 flights are exactly that and it does NOT matter if you make money/beer/food for it. INTENT of the flight is all that matters.

"Me" would be wrong in the above situation.
Just playing Devil's Advocate here because this is the one thing I am unclear about. Say a year after you took that video with the intent being as a hobbyist (even though you are Part 107 Certified) someone wants to use that video in furtherance of their business. Are you supposed to refuse? To me, that is the unclear part. As a result, I always try to operate under 107 guidelines even though the video I shoot is not intended for commercial use at the time of shooting. That being said I have yet to fly in airspace that would require me to contact the ATC.

its not hard at all.. 60 questions, all multiple choice, but you have to study for it. I took an online video course from remotepilot.com that was excellent. I purchased the course on Friday, watched the videos on sat and Sunday and passed the test on Monday. I did also study for a few weeks reading the faa on line training, and then watching the videos really helped to clarify things. The test cost $150 and the video course was about the same. well worth it. I'm 64 and have been away from "test taking" for some time, but its not hard if you prepare. Good luck!

Just playing Devil's Advocate here because this is the one thing I am unclear about. Say a year after you took that video with the intent being as a hobbyist (even though you are Part 107 Certified) someone wants to use that video in furtherance of their business. Are you supposed to refuse? To me, that is the unclear part. As a result, I always try to operate under 107 guidelines even though the video I shoot is not intended for commercial use at the time of shooting. That being said I have yet to fly in airspace that would require me to contact the ATC.

Its not unusual for this to happen. I've sold several video and images a couple years after taking them. In fact I just sold some of my images from 2016 to a large company that rhymes with "FISNEE" that I captured one afternoon flying for hobby high in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I happened to be in the right place (well I intended to be there then lol) at the right time taking pictures and grabbed some that ended up being very sought after by some deep pockets. At the time they were only COOL to me but later something changed and these images became very valuable to certain people. They contacted me, we worked out a price and contract and the rest is history.

The only thing that matters to the FAA is your INTENT at the time the flight was made. Just like if you're flying for hobby/recreation and you later realize you captured an amazing (or news worthy) shot. Legitimately you was flying hobby at the time so after the fact you can do whatever you like. It's up to the operator to do what's right at the time of the flight.

Reactions: sar104

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl