Zenmuse H43D versions - v.1 vs. v.2

Reaction score
My Phantom 2+ came with the H43D gimbal to which I added the GoPro Hero3 30-pin bus connector modification. I bought my Hero3+ Black as "refurbished" and found when it arrived that the USB connector was missing its inner contacts, so using it for FPV was out of the question unless I used the GoPro bus. The greatest advantages for my particular setup is a) I can operate without the GoPro battery since power comes through the Zenmuse and video is passed through to the P2 main board, b) I can remove the memory card without having to fumble with the USB plug, C) a little weight savings because I'm not using the GoPro battery (though someone suggested the weight savings didn't exist, I disagree).

I bought the bus mod kit off of Amazon for about $15, and installation was pretty easy, though a delicate touch is needed to prevent damaging the Zenmuse cable. I had a rather bad crash of my bird a while back which bent the vertical gimbal arm of my H43D. I took it apart and was able to straighten the arm without any difficulty, but managed to break the flat cabling that connects the gimbal motors to the electronics. Not realizing that I could buy a replacement cable at the time, I went ahead and ordered another H43D from B&H Photo. I bought a "used" but tested and working model for $169 with free shipping and no tax, so consider that a real bargain!

Getting to the point of this post, as I looked at the new gimbal side by side with my original I found that the new gimbal does not have the cutout and blocking plate that my original has. I understand that DJI stopped providing the Hero bus connector because of a licensing dispute with GoPro (those wacky Chinese!), so I'm going to guess that my original Zenmuse was assembled with older parts and the new one has the newer back plate without the cutout. My P2+ was bought in July of 2015, and the replacement H43D was purchased in December, 6 months later.

I have ordered a replacement cable for my original gimbal but will swap the camera mounting plate out from my original so that I can still have the Hero 30-pin bus connector and enjoy FPV once again. An image of the old style which I call "v.1" on the left, and the newer "v.2" on the right is below. The cutout area that I'm citing is highlighted.

gimbal-5.jpg

Can you run a zenmuse gimbal with a fr sky l9 long range controller so that it can be controlled remotely.
I need to attach it to something else. I just need to know what each pin dose on the plug, and what else i would need to do the job.

Can you run a zenmuse gimbal with a fr sky l9 long range controller so that it can be controlled remotely.
I need to attach it to something else. I just need to know what each pin dose on the plug, and what else i would need to do the job.

You could swap camera plates but without spending another $80 LCD bacpak to trigger the video output from the 30 pin it won't work. You repair the camera yourself if you're not afraid to take it apart. Parts are available from www.peauproductions.com for your camera all you have to do is determine which board you need to replace the USB connector. It's been awhile since I have taken mine apart so I cannot help there.

Thank you for that, I'll give that ago and see what i can't burn out. lol

You could swap camera plates but without spending another $80 LCD bacpak to trigger the video output from the 30 pin it won't work. You repair the camera yourself if you're not afraid to take it apart. Parts are available from www.peauproductions.com for your camera all you have to do is determine which board you need to replace the USB connector. It's been awhile since I have taken mine apart so I cannot help there.

The Hero 3+ worked via the rear 30pin without the BacPac activation method (It was only disabled in Hero 4's).
And @jason is correct. Just swap out the back/support plate.

And to clarify the versions:
H33D 1.0 (30pin hero port.
H33D 1.1 (side USB for FPV).
The H43D never had the 30pin rear port unless modified. You would have to acquire a Hero LCD BacPack to activate the 30pin Hero Port on the GoPro4's.

The Hero 3+ worked via the rear 30pin without the BacPac activation method (It was only disabled in Hero 4's).
And @jason is correct. Just swap out the back/support plate.

And to clarify the versions:
H33D 1.0 (30pin hero port.
H33D 1.1 (side USB for FPV).
The H43D never had the 30pin rear port unless modified. You would have to acquire a Hero LCD BacPack to activate the 30pin Hero Port on the GoPro4's.

The new H4-3D cannot be modified with a 30 pin connector as the design was changed. But since all the earlier H3-2D and H3-3 D/H4-3D gilmbals use basically the same camera plates, cable connection and electronics it's possible to swap the plates that is if you can find the parts.

Take close look at the photo the plate on the right is completely different design.
gimbal-5-jpg.41479

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic