Youtube livestreaming

Reaction score
Hi

I have ordered P3 Advanced. Could you say, how the Youtube Livestreaming feature works?

According to DJI "YouTube Livestreaming
As you are flying, share the view with your friends
and the world, live over YouTube. Now anyone can
experience the joy of flight, and watch, comment
and share your experience in near real time."

Presumably, you plug the USB cable from the Phantom controller into your phone or tablet which carries the video (and some other data) from the Phantom, and then your phone or tablet uses a Wifi or mobile data connection to send the video to YouTube in real-time.

Well you'll obviously need a data connection to the internet on the device you've got attached to the Tx.

So if using a tablet for fpv, you better make sure it has mobile data, not just wifi. Or you could use your phones data and turn on its wifi hotspot and connect to it via wifi from your tablet.

So if using a tablet for fpv, you better make sure it has mobile data, not just wifi. Or you could use your phones data and turn on its wifi hotspot and connect to it via wifi from your tablet.
+1. Plan on going the hotspot route myself.

bbfpv, on my page here it shows the post above yours as 8 minutes ago, and yours as 7 minutes ago. Did you edit your post for that time difference?

Edit: OOPS....I see what happened. Nvm. :rolleyes:

It says 720p live stream. I tend to think that will be dependent on the device and obviously the connection speed.

I wonder how they think this should work. Wifi and LTE could be acquired, but there is no tablet today that can compress 1080p+ video at a usable rate to provide HD video on a live stream and I highly doubt 720p would work either, but I'll be glad if they can prove me wrong.

Live view is 720, so the device won't be handling 1080 video in the live stream function.

It doesn't really matter, both need to be compressed. Unless the live view is a readily compressed format like GoPro does to stream the live shot to your phone, but the quality is really bad. You need high processing power to get from FullHD 35-45MBit/s video down to 1/10th of that and maintain good quality.

If it works anything like Shou, there is an impact on quality, but it would still be quite watchable (obviously dependent on your data connection. Many of us are on LTE now, which is quite capable).

I hope Mark (@Parrottvision) won't mind me sharing his Shou channel, but he's had a number of live flights with his Inspire using Shou, which are automatically recorded. Shou itself has ~15 sec broadcast latency (evidenced by personal experience, and his attempt to talk to his viewers in the recordings); I'd imagine it would be a little less when pushing to YouTube.

https://shou.tv/parrottvision (The site is rather difficult to navigate. Click the handle on the top left to get the 'Videos' link, which takes you to his most recent one. Then browse the list of videos with the handle on the top-right. I recommend the ones from late March/early April).
This is also good for those who want to see the Pilot app in action.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic