You need a permit to operate the Phantom in Canada!

Thanks! I'm from Oakville (GTA). I'm flying planes for years, have 4 planes and 1 heli. I wanted to assemble a quad for video. It's rather expensive, so I wanted to be able to use it for business occasionally, at least to justify the cost (which I can't justify just for the hobby), and see where it goes. But the insurance is the problem. I will contact him, see what he says...

romandesign said:
New regulations just published grant an exemption even for commercial use for UAV under 2kg. So no permit is required anymore.

This is true, depending on where you're planning on flying. The biggest point that seems to be ignored on the exemption list is point #26:

"The pilot operating under this exemption shall only operate a UAV at least five (5) nautical miles from a built up area."

With that, any work in a city is prohibited. Be sure that your project is not in a city before you fully assume that you're exempt. :)

Good point. Well, applying for a free permit is not such a big deal I guess, but I still need liability insurance anyway.

romandesign said:
Good point. Well, applying for a free permit is not such a big deal I guess, but I still need liability insurance anyway.

Yep you're right. Other than the time to prepare and then wait for approval to come back, it's not the end of the world.

romandesign said:
Thanks! I'm from Oakville (GTA). I'm flying planes for years, have 4 planes and 1 heli. I wanted to assemble a quad for video. It's rather expensive, so I wanted to be able to use it for business occasionally, at least to justify the cost (which I can't justify just for the hobby), and see where it goes. But the insurance is the problem. I will contact him, see what he says...

Cool, I am starting to use mine on the side. I really dig the new exemption rules. We gave a ton of wineries and orchards out this way that are out in the country.

WPSPETE said:
Cool, I am starting to use mine on the side. I really dig the new exemption rules. We gave a ton of wineries and orchards out this way that are out in the country.
So did you get insurance for that? Can you justify "on the side" usage against the insurance cost? You can PM me so not to discuss details in public... I appreciate all advice and experience...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31