Good info from Transport Canada

eckoner said:
Bister said:
Here is Transport Canada's take on drones.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/s ... v-2265.htm

PS. I don't have a problem with the use of 'drone', I also call a tissue a Kleenex.

Good info, seems they have some solid laws and still leave the pilot with enough rope to hang himself.

My heart and condolences goes out to all Canadians! Tragic day but a great day to reflect.

Thanks.

I wonder if these are guidelines or hard laws. It looks like it is even more restrictive than the recent FAA rein predation in the US. 300ft max altitude instead if 400ft. No commercial and even academic use without special permission. No FPV.

I am not likening the direction of this...

macheung said:
I wonder if these are guidelines or hard laws. It looks like it is even more restrictive than the recent FAA rein predation in the US. 300ft max altitude instead if 400ft. No commercial and even academic use without special permission. No FPV.

I am not likening the direction of this...
I think more guide lines for safety from what I can find. At least that is what it says in the heading. The biggest thing is no commercial use (money making) with out filing for flight certificate. In Canada they fall under the same rules as model aircraft, camera or no camera. You can have FPV, but you still have to be able to see the craft, not rely on FPV. These have always been the rules for model aircraft, they really haven't drafted any new legislation from info I have, just restating the existing rules. I think I have most of this right.

Here is another link if you really like reading, but most of the stuff I find is in regards to commercial use. There is always a small line most miss saying if it is strictly for recreational use we'll leave you alone as long as you follow the "don't be stupid rule"... I'm paraphrasing of course.

https://www.priv.gc.ca/information/rese ... 1303_e.asp

Another article:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/comme ... -1.1386300

20 day wait to use my copter for business? This tells me the government has no interest in me ever making money with my copter legally.

Steely said:
20 day wait to use my copter for business? This tells me the government has no interest in me ever making money with my copter legally.
I know there are a couple companies that have gotten standing certificates for commercial work. I think they were getting certificates for flying for each job and they proved themselves and now have a standing certificate. I know one company in Regina was talking that they have one when they were telling how they used a drone to shoot the bus lines latest ad.

I think they are just taking baby steps to keep an eye on stuff, probably a good idea.

ShotBy.CA said:
Bister,

Yeah I'm one of the companies that you mentioned that received a standing SFOC from TC.

Cool. Did think I would get a response like that on here. Lol. Thumbs up to you. :D

How did you get a standing one? Not that I ever plan on doing anything other than my personal enjoyment. Did you get a few to prove yourself, then get a standing certificate (through lots of red tape I assume) ?

Reactions: 70Pixels.ca
Bister said:
How did you get a standing one? Not that I ever plan on doing anything other than my personal enjoyment. Did you get a few to prove yourself, then get a standing certificate (through lots of red tape I assume) ?

Yeah thats pretty much how it went. A few solid applications, demonstrate that I know what I'm doing and doing it safely. If you ever needed a hand with the SFOC applications (I have a template), shoot me a PM.

Reactions: 70Pixels.ca
Thanks for that info. How do you go about demonstrating that you know what you're doing?

Steely said:
Thanks for that info. How do you go about demonstrating that you know what you're doing?

Best way from what I've seen is through a series of smaller, SFOC approved flights. Don't ask for the world too soon.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl