Yet another post on Compass errors

Reaction score
Every test flight I've made so far has had at least one or more "compass errors" for a short time. I've calibrated everything, and calibrated the compass just before the flight. Funny thing is after touching the compass calibration button on the iPad I've noticed sometimes the iPad compass calibration page comes up. I cancel this and calibrate the Phantom 3A normally.

Any thoughts the iPad compass is somehow causing these errors? No errors in the log. At all.

Every test flight I've made so far has had at least one or more "compass errors" for a short time. I've calibrated everything, and calibrated the compass just before the flight. Funny thing is after touching the compass calibration button on the iPad I've noticed sometimes the iPad compass calibration page comes up. I cancel this and calibrate the Phantom 3A normally.

Any thoughts the iPad compass is somehow causing these errors? No errors in the log. At all.
You would do well to complete the iPad calibration..

Reactions: FrequentFlyer

No the iPad compass is not interfering. Compass errors on your GoApp are from the compass picking up some ferrous metal nearby or magnetic field. When calibrating be sure to leave your cellphone & keys in your vehicle or far away from the compass.

iPAD compass error is the first signal to you that the area around is not good for compass calibration as it has effect of magnetic fields. You should move away from that place. Never ignore compass warnings either from iPad or from Phantom.

For your Go app radar to work properly, your iPad compass has to be calibrated.

My Phantom is about 30 feet from my car. I calibrate it there. I stand near my car while flying mind you, and naturally the iPad compass would be messed up. I did not know "For your Go app radar to work properly, your iPad compass has to be calibrated".

Interesting. Is this stated in the manual?

iPAD compass error is the first signal to you that the area around is not good for compass calibration as it has effect of magnetic fields. You should move away from that place. Never ignore compass warnings either from iPad or from Phantom.

For your Go app radar to work properly, your iPad compass has to be calibrated.
That's not true! All the compass does on the iPad is to find magnetic North. It has nothing to do with the GoApp other than to show the direction of the radar.

That's not true! All the compass does on the iPad is to find magnetic North. It has nothing to do with the GoApp other than to show the direction of the radar.
Yes thats what I m saying too.

If iPad gives an compass error, it means there is a strong magnetic field around.

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
My ipad never gives me a compass error. Sometimes it just goes into a compass calibration when I open the dji app. I think it has more to do with a correlation to the app, somehow sensing the app relies on ipad compass in some respect. It used to make me calibrate the iPad compass more frequently than it does now. It happens very rarely now. It almost seemed like an iPad bug. It happened frequently enough that I'd cancel it. Now it's so rare that if it pops up I just do it.

I had my first phantom compass error last week. I took off from a concrete sidewalk, so it's no surprise why. The only surprise is that I was careless enough to do it. I won't be doing that again!

My ipad never gives me a compass error. Sometimes it just goes into a compass calibration when I open the dji app. I think it has more to do with a correlation to the app, somehow sensing the app relies on ipad compass in some respect. It used to make me calibrate the iPad compass more frequently than it does now. It happens very rarely now. It almost seemed like an iPad bug. It happened frequently enough that I'd cancel it. Now it's so rare that if it pops up I just do it.

I had my first phantom compass error last week. I took off from a concrete sidewalk, so it's no surprise why. The only surprise is that I was careless enough to do it. I won't be doing that again!
My point exactly. All it does is sync to the GoApp to align the radar arrow. Magnetic field has nothing to do with the iPad compass. When the GoApp tells you there's a compass error it's coming from the P3's compass NOT the iPad compass.

Has it ever been confirmed that taking off from a rubber mat can help negate possible compass abnormalities?

Has it ever been confirmed that taking off from a rubber mat can help negate possible compass abnormalities?
How could a rubber mat help Compass abnormalities? It will never shield an external magnetic field.

Ground abnormalities pre flight? Just curious.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl