Yes or no? Can a hobbyist drone pilot fly at night?

Also note in that same guide...[https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/100.pdf]

"All model flights must be conducted in accordance with this safety code and related AMA guidelines"

if you look to page 8 under "RADIO CONTROL" night flying is mentioned

"Night flying requires a lighting system that provides the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems by themselves are inadequate for night flying operations and must be supplemented with other lighting systems."

The Phantom has a lighting system as many other race drones and such do not.
For many flights at night you can clearly see the lights in the sky: But after about 1000 ft you need additional lights but other than that those lights work well on the drone and even flash.

I feel that Night Flying should have its own chapter as its very loose in details.

I flew at max distance of approx 700 feet (I was in the middle and flew from about 700 feet away one direction to approx 600 feet in the other). The lights on the drone were visible in the very clear winter night sky. I never lost sight of it. It was approx 2:30 am, no one walking the streets or sidewalks, only the occasional car.

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. I will be looking into one of those light bars.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
That video demonstrates how the difference in lights on the drone such as the battery lights to the Bar light . That bar light works beautifully as I have found the cree lights and lume cubes to be to bright and gain to much attention. Something most of us do not want flying at night.

The Video looks bright but that is not the real story , it was much darker outside. notice at 1000 ft the battery lights fade away quickly...
These are, I assume, the Polar Pro Phantom 4 LED lights - what's interesting is that they are listed as discontinued and I cannot find them anywhere (including eBay) - any others like this?

Last edited:
Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
These are, I assume, the Polar Pro Phantom 4 LED lights - what's interesting is that they are listed as discontinued and I cannot find them anywhere (including eBay) - any others like this?

Sorry they are discontinued now: I found this , but not quite the same, the ones I have are USB and these are hard wired.
https://www.adorama.com/ppp4led.html

Unfortunately, from personal experience, when flying over or near people with getting prior permission, you may find you will have to absorb a significant legal fee to prove you are flying legally. I advise flying no later than 30 minutes after sunset per guidelines. Otherwise, get an authorization.

I advise flying no later than 30 minutes after sunset per guidelines. Otherwise, get an authorization.
There is no such "authorization" in Section 336. Part 107 pilots may obtain such, but not hobbyists. The guidelines you mentioned are currently for Part 107 only.

Reactions: Rsm425 and N017RW
Not in the US. Part 107 waivers allow you to fly in ways otherwise prohibited by the FAA's Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations, also know as the Part 107 rules. If you want to fly over people, beyond the visual line of sight (BVLOS), above 400 feet, or at night, then you need to obtain a Part 107 waiver.

There is no such "authorization" in Section 336. Part 107 pilots may obtain such, but not hobbyists. The guidelines you mentioned are currently for Part 107 only.
You can do it but it's still not legal and you can get fined or jailed. Especially near an airport.

You can do it but it's still not legal and you can get fined or jailed. Especially near an airport.

Are you saying night flight is illegal for hobby flights in the USA?

If so, you may have a misunderstanding.

Are you saying night flight is illegal for hobby flights in the USA?

If so, you may have a misunderstanding.
Are you saying it's okay to fly near an airport for hobby flights. you need to have proper lighting and an FAA waiver. If one law applies they all apply. You may not lose a license as a hobbyist but you can still get fined or jailed.

Not in the US. Part 107 waivers allow you to fly in ways otherwise prohibited by the FAA's Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations, also know as the Part 107 rules. If you want to fly over people, beyond the visual line of sight (BVLOS), above 400 feet, or at night, then you need to obtain a Part 107 waiver.

That is not actually true. It does depend if you are flying for recreation (Section 336) or commercially (Part 107).
  • As a recreational flyer the actual laws and regulations are clear as mud. The FAA has no authority over recreational flying and as such the recommendations are to fly while abiding by commonly accepted practices of a community based flying organization (like the AMA). Under such recommendations there are no rules against flying at night, so it is therefore allowed. As long as you are not flying commercially and not breaking any other recommended rules then you can fly at night all you want.
  • As a commercial flyer under Part 107, you may not fly at night. You can fly 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset provided you have strobes on your craft. Otherwise you may not fly at night.

That is not actually true. It does depend if you are flying for recreation (Section 336) or commercially (Part 107).
  • As a recreational flyer the actual laws and regulations are clear as mud. The FAA has no authority over recreational flying and as such the recommendations are to fly while abiding by commonly accepted practices of a community based flying organization (like the AMA). Under such recommendations there are no rules against flying at night, so it is therefore allowed. As long as you are not flying commercially and not breaking any other recommended rules then you can fly at night all you want.
  • As a commercial flyer under Part 107, you may not fly at night. You can fly 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset provided you have strobes on your craft. Otherwise you may not fly at night.
So why did I ever get a part 107 liscense?

So why did I ever get a part 107 liscense?

That is your decision. If you want to fly commercially then you must get the license. If you want to fly within 5 miles of an airport based on actual airspace restrictions as per the sectional charts then you must get your license. If you want to post your videos on a YouTube channel and there are ads on that channel then you must get your license. etc...

That is your decision. If you want to fly commercially then you must get the license. If you want to fly within 5 miles of an airport based on actual airspace restrictions as per the sectional charts then you must get your license. If you want to post your videos on a YouTube channel and there are ads on that channel then you must get your license. etc...
So only some rules apply to non licensed pilots. I think you will represent the drone pilots at Gatwick very well .

So only some rules apply to non licensed pilots. I think you will represent the drone pilots at Gatwick very well .

What are you talking about? The malicious and willful disregard for safety at Gatwick was reprehensible and I don't think that joking about is either funny or appropriate. I was just filling you in on the actual laws and regulations as they apply to drone operators for both commercial and recreational flying.

Reactions: Loz and Fly Dawg
Are you saying it's okay to fly near an airport for hobby flights. you need to have proper lighting and an FAA waiver. If one law applies they all apply. You may not lose a license as a hobbyist but you can still get fined or jailed.

For the hobbyists, the same (daytime) rules apply at night with the addition of sufficient lighting to maintain VLOS including attitude and orientation.

Reactions: Videojim
Things are going to change if the haven’t already. Although approved the new FAA Reauthorization Act will not be fully implemented for a couple years. Night flying for non Part 107 will be eliminated or part 107 holders will not be able to hide under recreational part. I think the former will be the new rule. Night flying is inherently more demanding then day flying. Although you can light up your Phantom like a Christmas tree and see it 5 miles away you will not be able to se the power lines, poles and other obstacles much closer to you.

The PIC is responsible for all aspects of the flight.
If you are unaware or incapable of avoiding objects with the proper clearance then you are negligent and if caught will have to deal with the consequences.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT