Yaw motor swings to Left or right

Droneted

Phantom 4 gimbal repair advice
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
After a crash and repair, sometimes the yaw will swing to the left or right. I have written about this before. One method of fixing it is to move the set screw off the flat spot on the shaft. From my experience it is usually just to the left if it swings left. The other method is to move the magnet that is adhered to the shaft. The big question was, How do you get the magnet off without breaking it? I have been working on how for a week or so. I tried glue remover etc and that failed.
Here is what does work. First put a mark on the magnet with a black magic marker. You need to know where you started from when you put it back. Put needle nose pliers under the magnet very gently. Heat the shaft above,not on, the magnet. Don't heat too much as it won't take much. Gently move the pliers and the magnet will come free. Make sure you do not overheat the shaft. You will destroy the motor. The Pliers block the heat from getting to the motor. Use a cotton swab and put some acetone around the magnet after it it warmed up if it does not seem to want to come off.

Now that it is free, move the mark so that it is on the edge of the flat spot and in the same direction as it swings. Swings to the left move it to the left. You will have to try different spots and it will take some time as you will have to keep taking it apart to adjust. Good luck
IMG_3865.JPG

Last edited:
So, the magnet is where you have the pliers? There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there on the yaw motor? My yaw motor shaft is bent and got a replacement motor. I put the new motor in and when the drone starts up the camera is pointing about 30 degrees to the left. I did the gimble recal and it still pointed to the left. Very frustrating.

• Sad
Reactions: Andpao13
Are you doing ok? It is not easy to remove the magnet and re-position it. Make sure you mark it so u have a starting point. Usually it is a move to the left or right of about 90 degrees or less. If you want to see if it will work just lock the shaft on the edge of the flat area on the round part. don't over tighten and mark the shaft as you will have to file off the rough spot you made. You could always send it to me to do. I don't charge that much.

So, the magnet is where you have the pliers? There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there on the yaw motor? My yaw motor shaft is bent and got a replacement motor. I put the new motor in and when the drone starts up the camera is pointing about 30 degrees to the left. I did the gimble recal and it still pointed to the left. Very frustrating.
Have you figured out a fix for your use motor issue. I'm having the exact same problem with mine. I replaced a bent yaw motor with a new motor and now my gimbal points full right when I power it up. I've tried 3 different motors and the problem comes back every time.

When I put the bent motor back in, the gimbal points straight ahead.

Try what I put above about just locking the yaw arm at the edge of the flat spot. Usually the right side. See what happens then move it again until u find it is pointing straight ahead. The problem is in the main gimbal board and that can't be adjusted by you or me. If this works contact me for further instructions.

Try what I put above about just locking the yaw arm at the edge of the flat spot. Usually the right side. See what happens then move it again until u find it is pointing straight ahead. The problem is in the main gimbal board and that can't be adjusted by you or me. If this works contact me for further instructions.
Thanks! I'll try this out later today. I attempted this at some point over the past week as I was trouble shooting the issue, but didn't try every position around the motor shaft.

When I loosen the set screw and power everything up the shaft spins, stops, spins, stops, etc. I'll dig into it again this afternoon.

Reactions: FlyingCircles
Ok, I clocked the motor like you said and I got the camera to point straight ahead. I performed the auto calibration and the camera returns to the straight and level position. I'm noticing a vibration in the gimbal now when the camera is pointing straight ahead. When I pan the camera downward the vibrations stop. What should I do next?

it is either the pitch sensor or the pitch motor is damaged. that would be my guess.
make sure you remember where you had the yaw arm locked onto the yaw motor shaft as you will have to take it apart to fix the pitch problem. Can you put up a video of the vibration so we can see what it is doing?

I just emailed you two videos for you to review. One video shows the drone start up and turn fully to the right, but without any vibrations. The other video shows the drone startup with the setscrew clocked 90 degrees out, which centers the camera but causes vibrations. Thanks for your help!

[QUOTE = "Keanek1, publicación: 1132348, miembro: 89283"]
Ok, aceleré el motor como dijiste y conseguí que la cámara apuntara hacia adelante. Realicé la calibración automática y la cámara vuelve a la posición recta y nivelada. Ahora noto una vibración en el cardán cuando la cámara apunta hacia adelante. Cuando bajo la cámara hacia abajo, las vibraciones se detienen. ¿Qué debería hacer después?
[/CITAR]

hola ¿ya sabes solucionar esa vibracion? yo tengo el mismo problema

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl