Yaw motor replacement

Droneted

Phantom 4 gimbal repair advice
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I uploaded a new and I hope improved how to video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Forman
To everyone that visits here...."DO NOT BUY YAW MOTOR PARTS OFF OF AN EBAYER FROM MONTCLAIR, CALIFORNIA"...."THEY HAVE MULTIPLE DIFFERENT NAMES ON EBAY"THEY ARE ADVERTISED AS NEW BUT I RECEIVED ONE TODAY THAT HAD ONE OF THE SENSORS MISSING. They sell these as NEW but down in the description it says "95% NEW"..... Buyer beware! Very shady... Poor communication... Wish me luck on getting my money back...

To everyone that visits here...."DO NOT BUY YAW MOTOR PARTS OFF OF AN EBAYER FROM MONTCLAIR, CALIFORNIA"...."THEY HAVE MULTIPLE DIFFERENT NAMES ON EBAY"THEY ARE ADVERTISED AS NEW BUT I RECEIVED ONE TODAY THAT HAD ONE OF THE SENSORS MISSING. They sell these as NEW but down in the description it says "95% NEW"..... Buyer beware! Very shady... Poor communication... Wish me luck on getting my money back...
I am not sure there are any new motors out there. About 50% of what I buy are bad. I go right back on them and file a claim with eBay.I usually win

I am not sure there are any new motors out there. About 50% of what I buy are bad. I go right back on them and file a claim with eBay.I usually win
I think I will just file a claim… I told them I wanted a refund but they haven’t gotten back to me yet… The shame is that I paid extra money for priority shipping and I know I probably won’t get that back… And I certainly don’t want to pay for more shipping to send this back to them… It belongs in the garbage… What a shame… I am going to make sure that eBay makes them advertise “New”(other) rather than just New. I would rather pay for a used one that I know is good… Then have a company charge me full price for one that is advertised as new… Do you have any good ones that you like to sell me Ted? Lol

Hi Ted, I saw your video on youtube and I think it might help me with my issue but I'm not sure.
I had repair a Phantom 4 (flex and yaw arm replacement) and reassembled again without the yaw motor connected as its flex is broken and get a new one will take me almost two month here in Argentina.
So the thing is that I want my client to be able to use it without the yaw stabilization (as far as I understand yaw is controlled by the drone and is not something human controlled), at least us it that way until I get the new yaw motor.
The problem I'm facing is that the camera is fallen to one of it sides and I think is the roll motor which is decentralized but as I'm pretty new in this I want to consult you as you have much more experience. I'm attaching two pictures with what I think is the problem and I would need advice if this motor can be splitted and fixed.
So I'm thinking the "E" from center is the equilibrium point and should be aligned the flex as when I move the motor in the second pic to match flex direction it has the position I see in the camera.

20180513_181748.jpg

20180513_181756.jpg

PS: automatic gimbal calibration is not possible as there is one motor missing (the yaw motor).

I hope my explanation (and english) is accurate.

Your English is perfect. The gimbal will not work without all the motors in place and working. If one motor is not working corectly it gets confused and does odd things. If someone else has an idea feel free to jump in. I don't know everything

Reactions: Mike Davies
Your English is perfect. The gimbal will not work without all the motors in place and working. If one motor is not working corectly it gets confused and does odd things. If someone else has an idea feel free to jump in. I don't know everything
I would have to agree with you Ted… I don’t think it would be a good idea to try and use this without one of the motors.... it may also cause strain on other parts… And you don’t want to have to pay for something that isn’t broken before you start… Very expensive

So what do you think Ted? Bought this as a brand new Yaw motor from eBay seller in Philadelphia, Pa U.S.A. Sensors looked marked ever so lightly and I was hoping the scratches weren't deep enough to disrupt the circuit, so I took a chance. It was doing this even if I when I wasn't in front of it.

Reactions: Droneted
Well I just ordered a yaw motor from aliexpress, now I have to wait a long time for it.
Reading Mike makes me wonder if I'm gonna have problem with the "new" part.... seems a very tricky issue this motors thing (wondering why dji don't sell official parts). So if I run with problems with the new part is it possible to just remove the flax cable from it and put it to the original one? Is that possible at all?

Well I just ordered a yaw motor from aliexpress, now I have to wait a long time for it.
Reading Mike makes me wonder if I'm gonna have problem with the "new" part.... seems a very tricky issue this motors thing (wondering why dji don't sell official parts). So if I run with problems with the new part is it possible to just remove the flax cable from it and put it to the original one? Is that possible at all?
Hopefully you have better luck with your motor purchase. If you have problems, I wouldn't try to operate this with the original one. Worst case scenario I would send it to a professional repair for DJI in your case. I dont think that DJI sells parts on the open market because I dont think they want the general public trying to make their own repairs.... If I personally didnt have a background in Electronics and Mechanics, I certainly would not have opened this and tried to repair it. I rebuild laptops and cellphones and this is a little more tricky than both.

Hi Ted, I saw your video on youtube and I think it might help me with my issue but I'm not sure.
I had repair a Phantom 4 (flex and yaw arm replacement) and reassembled again without the yaw motor connected as its flex is broken and get a new one will take me almost two month here in Argentina.
So the thing is that I want my client to be able to use it without the yaw stabilization (as far as I understand yaw is controlled by the drone and is not something human controlled), at least us it that way until I get the new yaw motor.
The problem I'm facing is that the camera is fallen to one of it sides and I think is the roll motor which is decentralized but as I'm pretty new in this I want to consult you as you have much more experience. I'm attaching two pictures with what I think is the problem and I would need advice if this motor can be splitted and fixed.
So I'm thinking the "E" from center is the equilibrium point and should be aligned the flex as when I move the motor in the second pic to match flex direction it has the position I see in the camera.

View attachment 98813

View attachment 98814

PS: automatic gimbal calibration is not possible as there is one motor missing (the yaw motor).

I hope my explanation (and english) is accurate.
Were you worried about being 180 degrees off on mounting this motor? Was that your concern, that you had it in the right position?

Hopefully you have better luck with your motor purchase. If you have problems, I wouldn't try to operate this with the original one. Worst case scenario I would send it to a professional repair for DJI in your case. I dont think that DJI sells parts on the open market because I dont think they want the general public trying to make their own repairs.... If I personally didnt have a background in Electronics and Mechanics, I certainly would not have opened this and tried to repair it. I rebuild laptops and cellphones and this is a little more tricky than both.
As Ted has previously stated.... Check the sensors for scratches, score marks when you get the new motor. You are gonna have to use Teds method to pull the motor apart to inspect it. If they are smooth and dont have the scratches on the 2 sensors (opposite of the ribbon cable) then you have to install it back together with the original magnet housing that came with the drone, also shown in Teds method (Video). Let us know when you get the new part... Try to walk you thru it.

So what do you think Ted? Bought this as a brand new Yaw motor from eBay seller in Philadelphia, Pa U.S.A. Sensors looked marked ever so lightly and I was hoping the scratches weren't deep enough to disrupt the circuit, so I took a chance. It was doing this even if I when I wasn't in front of it.
If it is just the yaw sensors , it is a good deal. Most of the time ,that is all that is wrong. The same sensors are in the pitch and roll motors and I have seen those damage also. However they are just a swap. No need to take the apart like the yaw. Just get a new one and put it in.

I know I am repeating this but I want it to be clear. The yaw motor is the only one that requires special treatment in replacing it. The pitch and roll are a direct replacement. Just swap them out. You still have to inspect the sensors on them. They have 2 sensors on each and they are the same sensors as the Yaw motor. Any scratches or gouges and they need to be replaced.

Sorry I have not been following this thread right along. I just moved from Florida to Upstate NY. It was too cold here to type a reply. I am freezing. Also I have been busy setting up my shop and fixing cameras.
By the way I hate NY. My taxes just doubled and I get nothing for it. I guess the money goes to those that don't want to work.

Sorry I have not been following this thread right along. I just moved from Florida to Upstate NY. It was too cold here to type a reply. I am freezing. Also I have been busy setting up my shop and fixing cameras.
By the way I hate NY. My taxes just doubled and I get nothing for it. I guess the money goes to those that don't want to work.
Yes Ted... I’m not too far from you here in Pittsburgh, Pa… I am not crazy about the cold either… Getting too old for this

Reactions: Crab Life
Well I replaced the yaw motor with a "new" used part and still camera is leaned right...
I tried to open it and re balance and doing that I broke the bearing so I need a new gimbal motor, the one that control the lean angle.

My question is.... Does the phantom 3 motor works on a phantom 4 ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31