Yaw arm broke, repaired and now gimbal goes crazy, have tried common fixes

Reaction score
I have had this P3 standard a little over a year and have had no issues what-so-ever until now.

The first hard landing I've ever had, about a 2 weeks ago... and I really can't comprehend how it was that hard of a landing. About 3 feet off the ground, I got nervous because I ended up too close to a building. Pulled down on the throttle fast, it bounced a little and then stopped, on a perfectly flat/smooth sidewalk. It didn't flip, it didn't hit anything. No plastic was damaged, cracked or broke. BUT the METAL yaw arm broke right above the 2 bottom screws on the side.

So I replaced it. The ribbon cable looks perfect.

After reassembling, the gimbal just goes crazy.

I took it apart again and checked all the connections, removed and re-seated each ribbon cable end.

I checked the position of the shaft of the camera to the the little circuit board (don't know the technical name) but made sure the 'D' of the shaft was perfectly horizontal with the camera, according to reading other posts and Youtube videos.

Put it back together again, no change.

I have run IMU calibration twice. No improvement at all.

I guess I'm going to be buying more parts.

Besides buying a complete gimbal/camera assembly, what should I replace first?

There may be a tiny nick in the ribbon cable. You can get them at FStop labs for about $20. I use a magnifying glass when checking ribbon cables but sometimes you just can't see the nick. I repair these for a living.
I have those cables in stock if you are anywhere near Florida.

Mine did the same. When disassembling the camera to the pitch shaft, I didn't note which way the shaft belongs when inserted into the camera body, and I couldn't find any directions online, so I used logic.
The rounded side of the shaft seemed most logical to me to face the side where the screw enters, but I was wrong and the gimbal went wild . I took it back apart, and reinstalled the shaft with the flat side facing the screw entry hole, and that solved my issues.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using TapaTalk

Make sure that all of your motor shafts are oriented correctly. The pitch and yaw shafts have set screws but you can still put them in wrong on the pitch motor shaft. The roll motor shaft need to have the flat part pointing up and aligned with the top of the camera. I initially did the alignment when mine was acting up and the result was the same until I noticed that I had the flat part pointing down. I hope this helps you out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic