WTH Just Happened? Props just flew off!

I'll let someone else answer the heat on the main board question.

How did the ESC become detached from the board?

No arcing is a good thing. I think it's also an indication of no power at impact. Did you remove the battery or was it ejected?

"One last weird thing I noticed, after the crash I picked up the battery..."

When I found the bird the battery was partially in compartment, partially in snow. Battery was off when I got to the crash, which I thought was weird.

jshull0 said:
burlbark said:
That sure was a cold solder joint. I would expect the copper to tear off the mainboard before the solder let go. That could have been your failure.

Jeremy

That's what I was thinking too, is it that imperative to keep heat off the main board or esc while soldering? I ask because I was debating on using a fine silver solder that requires a little bit more heat to melt, but is better at handeling current. I have a adjustable iron with a very very fine point, just wondering.

I have no worries about hurting the board by soldering to it with regular solder and its melting temps. I turn my soldering station up to 420c when doing those leads to put them down quick.

However, the white insulation on the esc lead is made of plastic and melts easily causing a direct short. I take an ohm meter to the leads after repair and make sure there is no short before powering up.

I would recommend you pre-tin the board before attempting to solder them down and I would not use any high temp solder. There is no need for it, you are working with low current and its DC.

Jeremy

Thanks for the info Jeremy, I'll use the same technique. Am going to start replacing parts today when I get off work. If you have any other suggestions feel free to bring them up, don't want to have to tear into this thing after the fact. Thanks!

Update,

Fixed quad presumably, will fly tomorrow. One thing I noticed was that new 2312 motors were slightly bigger than the 2312's that came with quad which I thought was weird. Still have to fix gimbal, that should be fun.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj