Wow! A Hawk attacks the P3P

iAm

Reaction score
I was flying 300 metres high taking photos of cottage country in Ontario Canada.
On the way down at about 75 metres high I saw a bird fly over me and turn around. When it turned around I knew it was a hawk and he was on a mission to hit my P3P.
I was descending and it all happens so fast, as I watched the hawk fly straight at my bird and hit it enough for the P3P to tumble because The Hawk obstructed the prop. At that point I wrote the P3P off, I thought for sure it was going to keep tumbling into the water. But, luckily it regained balance at about 25 metres. I then had full control, so I was able to happily land it safely beside me.
I was disappointed I didn't have my video recording on.
The only damage is a scuff mark.
I consider myself very very lucky.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 621
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 496
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 633
Last edited:
Yesterday I had 5 hawks start circling just above my p3a at about 150ft. I was with a friend and we both thought this strange as the hawks appeared fairly suddenly. One right after the other. The p3 was over an open area so I dropped to 50ft and the hawks peeled off for home.

I went back up and they did not return. This is the second time this has happened. The locations were different. The first time I thought it was just a coincidence. But now I am sure it is not.

Yesterday I had 5 hawks start circling just above my p3a at about 150ft. I was with a friend and we both thought this strange as the hawks appeared fairly suddenly. One right after the other. The p3 was over an open area so I dropped to 50ft and the hawks peeled off for home.

I went back up and they did not return. This is the second time this has happened. The locations were different. The first time I thought it was just a coincidence. But now I am sure it is not.

Hopefully this kind of Hawk behaviour is only during nesting season
There was no hesitation whatsoever in attacking my P3P.
It's making me very reluctant to fly over swampy areas that I'm not familiar with, always be leary of nesting Hawks.

Last edited:
It was interesting to watch how they came into the circle one at a time. But I would have needed a ground camera to get a picture.
But seeing what happened to you, I don't think I am going to wait that long.

You were lucky.

I have had a sparrow hawk fly near me but I flew full throttle away and landed it about 100 meters from me.. I think if you see birds nearby just get it down or fly fast horizontally then bring it down. Hovvering and hoping the birds leaves you seems the worst thing you can do once it's interested in you.

Yea I agree quickly fly horizontally and the opposite direction of the attacking bird.
They have really good aim of their target.

This one looked more menacing than it was, but I did give me a look over. I believe it to just be a Swallow.
9e8394bc674cb255a8d61ef381ca5a62.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
That had to be close to a collision.

Very.
Thought it was game over, these birds are so fast. After a quick look, he moved on.
Was a great shot though. Captured from a video clip. Notice his eyes looking right at me, lol.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Even Rabbits get upset at phantoms.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic