Would you fly you P4 here?

Reaction score
I will be moving soon and there is a cell tower a few hundred feet from the house. To top it off, there are power lines across the street, not the wooden pole variety, but the big metal monsters. I'm not worried about collision, but signal. Will this be too much for Lightbridge to handle? Thanks.

Honestly I've never had a problem with powerlines and I'll fly pretty much anywhere that the general public are a little bit safe from me, but in honesty the best way to really to test it would be to find a safe large area and do some low n slow flying around the area, if your a few hundred feet away, just do your long distance flights in the opposite direction and you will be %100 great, the only time these power lines pose a threat in my honest opinion is when you are far away from the bird and fly extremely close to them, that's if you are talking radio interference? Now as for your compass and A/C instruments, sure flying within a few feet of any electro conducter is a bad idea but few 100 feet, away I wouldn't even consider it a danger, just something to remember is there.

I will be moving soon and there is a cell tower a few hundred feet from the house. To top it off, there are power lines across the street, not the wooden pole variety, but the big metal monsters. I'm not worried about collision, but signal. Will this be too much for Lightbridge to handle? Thanks.
If you are talking about power transmission lines I have flown around them before, the general rule of thumb I abide by is however tall they are, that is the distance I stay away from them. Some cell towers have many cables going from the tower to the ground at an angle, you probably won't see them on your tablet and the P4 collision avoidance won't see them either so if you just steer clear of the tower you should be fine. As far as signal goes if you leave it on auto you shouldn't have any problems, well you might have slightly decreased range but no safety concerns.

check your channels before flying, and i wouldnt fly it further than 200 feet away
i would go at least a mile away before flying it
you are just asking for a flyaway really

I've never had problems with power transmission lines. Once I flew right up next to the wire on a gigantic one and hovered there for quite some time, turning, going as close as I could (maybe 5'), basically trying to see a problem - but didn't. I have flown within a few hundred feet of multiple cell towers and also had no problem. Of course these are not good places for range tests but for just flying you should be fine - as long as you don't hit anything!

I haven't had any issues with cell towers, however when flying under big high tension lines (the big long haul kind that have more than 400,000 volts) I have had problems losing GPS signal. Just be ready to fly in ATTI if your GPS signal drops off. I fly all the time about 200' away (horizontally) from high tension lines, but I avoid flying under them now. Flying over the top of them has never presented a problem, but I always stay at least 100' (vertically) away.

The only problem I've ever had with power lines was running in to them and crashing :) Fortunately it was with cheaper quads during my learning to fly days a few years back.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl