Woman knocked unconscious by Drone

Wow! another one flying over huge crowds - failure or just being careless - another way to put bad wrap on quad flyers

So it looks like this story is gonna be an annual thing now.
As I recall a similar story a year ago.
The drone bounced off a building, smacked the woman unconcious and an off duty firefighter rendered first aid.
Same **** thing.

As many beautiful places around Seattle there is to fly it amazes me folks want to fly in town !

Reactions: GoodnNuff
as for me I am having an issue trying to find an open space where I can enjoy good aerial shots with no one complaining of a flying object...here is this guy flying it into a good size of people......but who knows really - was it a fly away drone - who knows...

I don't think we've had a drone crash into parade here until this. A few weeks ago the Solstice Parade was held in the Freemont neighborhood of Seattle. The parade consists of mostly naked people on bicycles, mostly with painted bodies. A drone crash in that parade could be tragic.
heh.

Last edited:
National news now. Drudge is carrying this.

I've been trying to figure out what might be useful to post in this thread for about 4 hours. Can't come up with anything but "****".

I really wish folks wouldn't fly over folks like this drone operator did. I hope the lady is alright and the operator is sitting in a little room asking him/herself how he/she could have avoided injuring someone.

Thanks for sharing GoodnNuff.

In litigious societies like most Western ones have become, the flyer should consider themself lucky to have only lost the quad. I'm not a lawyer, but I imagine the woman would have claims towards all medical expenses, and probably far more. I doubt the pilot will be rushing into the Police station to claim it back any time soon.
What a bloody idiot the flyer was. I wouldn't fly over a crowd if I was the world's best pilot, and to have hit a building shows this one doesn't even count in the bottom ranks of pilots. It would be bad enough to have it fall on someone because of a mechanical failure, but it's just pure negligence to crash onto people because you can't stay away from a building. I know some will always say it was a flyaway but a vastly more likely scenario is inexperience and a simple wrong-stick, moving towards the building instead of away, because of simple inexperience. At very least use prop guards if you're going to fly over people, so if you hit a building, you've got SOME chance of it not being sent plummeting onto the people below.

Reactions: snerd
the drone's owner wearing a baseball cap, sunglasses, cut-off shorts and a noticeable tattoo of a woman somewhere on his body and was probably engaging in drugs and illegal surveillance while standing on the American flag

Fixed it for them.

The story is playing on the local news again as I type this.
But speaking of stupidity, I related this story on another thread but will repeat it here:

A few weeks ago I was rushing to Best Buy to purchase the last 3DR Solo they had, and encountered a Phantom Vision? about 20 feet above me flying up the freeway! For anyone in the Puget Sound region, I was headed west on Highway 18 between Covington and Auburn. Traffic was fairly heavy, it was around 7 pm on a Sunday evening, I looked up and headed directly up the freeway, flying against us, was a Phantom! Looked beyond and there was a kid standing on an overpass flying the **** thing. He was actually higher than the altitude of his drone!
Had I not been in such a hurry to get my own new drone, I'd have found him and had a calm safety talk with him.

Now as for the Solo....first one had a defective controller, and I'm about to go out and make a maiden flight with Solo #2

After which, you'd most likely be sued by his parents. Bad idea lol!!
No, I truly mean a calm, sane talk with him, using common sense and logic. I'd explain the damage he could do, and the liability he could face flying 20 feet over freeway traffic. I'd explain how it could easily get him sued if he caused an accident. And when I said "kid" I meant an 18-22 year old, still a kid to me.

Just got home from the maiden flight of Solo #2 and it was flawless! Everything I hoped this quad would be...so far. And despite not having a gimble or a release date for one.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31