"Wizard" Equivalent for Phantom 4?

No. RTH on my H won't get you anywhere near that sort of accuracy. Mine is typically within 3 meters

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

And the point being it's time to take manual control at that point anyway, especially given the argument he made above about being out on a boat or something like that.

Both are fine crafts. It all depends on what you want. I love both for different reasons. I love my P3, my 350QX's, et all. All for entirely different reasons.

I will say this at the risk of ruffling your feathers because that certainly isn't my intent. With all due respect, if you're totally depending on RTH landing the aircraft for you, you are in the wrong hobby. The only time I ever even use RTH is when I may have momentarily lost sight of it and need to get it back in my eyeballs. Once I've done that, I'm the PIC again.

I trust my skills flying and landing it a hundred times more than any automated landing algorithm where it only takes one of 10,000 things to go wrong.

You're not ruffling my feathers at all. I appreciate the candor. Here's the scenario:

I will be using the drone to film footage of wakeboarding (among other things), as such, I'd like to be able to have only the Wizard (or equivalent) out in the boat (in its waterproof bag). Rather than trying to manually fly the drone back into the boat after a set, I was attracted to the ability to set the Wizard on the sun deck and trigger Dynamic RTH, bringing the drone back to the sun deck, no controller input required.

Pipe dream?

Chris

The other reason I'm really attracted to the Wizard concept is to trigger Follow Me for a motocross rider. Attach the Wizard to the rider or bike, trigger Follow Me and go rip. That would not be practical with the Phantom as it requires the main controller + interface to be carried by the subject.

Man - I really wish the Phantom had a compact remote/beacon.

The other reason I'm really attracted to the Wizard concept is to trigger Follow Me for a motocross rider. Attach the Wizard to the rider or bike, trigger Follow Me and go rip. That would not be practical with the Phantom as it requires the main controller + interface to be carried by the subject.
I have no experience with it, but you may look into the Litchi Magic Leash.

Forget RTH onto a boat. You'll want full manual control and hand catch it. You'll be flipping the wizard around like a mad man trying to bring that thing in otherwise

Does the Inspire offer a compact remote/homing beacon? Does it have collision avoidance?
No and no. Don't buy an Inspire until the next revision is out. Seems it is imminent but unannounced

I used to ski competitively (at the pro level) back in my younger days. I've had everything I've got in my Nautique with us. You don't need a waterproof bag. You just need to use good common sense when filming.

You're going to regret buying the Phantom for what you want. Out of the two (leaving the Inspire totally out of this discussion), I prefer the H 10 to 1 when filming on the boat. Wanna know why? You have to fly the H backwards. I don't have to do that with the H. It's one of the big reasons I bought it (I bought it before buying the Inspire and after the P4).

Don't get me wrong and before everybody here jumps in my crap about it. You can film waterskiing with the P4. It's just EASIER with the H to fly forward and turn the GIMBAL 180 degrees. Believe me. It is. I've done both. Countless times.

What you've brought up forces me to reiterate the other point I made above again. If you can't fly it manually with 100% confidence on the ground, don't take it out in that boat without understanding that in all likelihood, you WILL lose it. don't say you weren't warned. I'm just being honest here. I've probably flown more hours watersports than anybody here. You BETTER be able to fly manually in that boat, including takeoffs and landings, or somebody's gonna get hurt.

Last edited:
No and no. Don't buy an Inspire until the next revision is out. Seems it is imminent but unannounced

Probably in September, but we're talking about a $3.5k+ craft. Not in the same discussion as the P4 and the TH, as you know.

If you're a watersports aficionado, I live about 20 miles from the home office of Overton's and ski with Christi Overton and her family all the time. I knew the Overtons when they started their business in the back of the family supermarket. :)

If you're a watersports aficionado, I live about 20 miles from the home office of Overton's and ski with Christi Overton and her family all the time. I knew the Overtons when they started their business in the back of the family supermarket. :)

Wow. You're probably about my "vintage". I was heavily involved in the wakeboarding industry from about '97 'til 2003. Live in Austin now, and debated Orlando vs Austin because of the wakeboard scene.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
I have no experience with it, but you may look into the Litchi Magic Leash.

Seeing as Magic Leash is an Android app, can it be loaded on to the Typhoon controller? I suppose even if it could, it's not written to integrate with the Typhoon software and really with the Wizard, why bother, except for the configurable leash?

You're going to regret buying the Phantom for what you want. Out of the two (leaving the Inspire totally out of this discussion), I prefer the H 10 to 1 when filming on the boat.

Does the inclusion of Visual Tracking on behalf of the Phantom 4 change your opinion?

I used to ski competitively (at the pro level) back in my younger days. I've had everything I've got in my Nautique with us. You don't need a waterproof bag. You just need to use good common sense when filming.

You're going to regret buying the Phantom for what you want. Out of the two (leaving the Inspire totally out of this discussion), I prefer the H 10 to 1 when filming on the boat. Wanna know why? You have to fly the H backwards. I don't have to do that with the H. It's one of the big reasons I bought it (I bought it before buying the Inspire and after the P4).

Don't get me wrong and before everybody here jumps in my crap about it. You can film waterskiing with the P4. It's just EASIER with the H to fly forward and turn the GIMBAL 180 degrees. Believe me. It is. I've done both. Countless times.

What you've brought up forces me to reiterate the other point I made above again. If you can't fly it manually with 100% confidence on the ground, don't take it out in that boat without understanding that in all likelihood, you WILL lose it. don't say you weren't warned. I'm just being honest here. I've probably flown more hours watersports than anybody here. You BETTER be able to fly manually in that boat, including takeoffs and landings, or somebody's gonna get hurt.
Stand back I'm about to jump in this guy's crap:

I totally agree in this particular case a 360 gimbal is a huge asset. You can forget the cable cam of the H past 12mph which is a real downer but hopefully is addressed in a firmware update.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Does the inclusion of Visual Tracking on behalf of the Phantom 4 change your opinion?

I don't like the tracking period so I'm the wrong one to ask. In the interest of full disclosure, I've been flying RC planes and helis for over 25 years. I prefer to fly myself, so I'm the wrong one to ask. I've never used those implementations enough to comment one way or another.

Probably a little before you. I was literally driving the boat when Parker put trick skis on Kristi for the first time when she was about 5 years old. I'm in my mid 50's.

Last edited:
Object tracking doesn't work worth anything once a wake is in the mix

Never even tried it that I can remember but I 100% believe that based on ground experiences without even trying it in the boat, but I may tomorrow just for fun. I'd bet a stupid amount of money you're right though.

Do you happen to know Cary Malamajka?

I do not. My start in 1997 was mostly around the Tige brand, so I knew the pro group and management team back then. I ran the pro shop/tow boat business for a fairly large boat dealer. Right before I left we dropped Tige and picked up MasterCraft, but I was drifting away from the industry by then. Remained involved via WakeChicks here out of Austin, then got burned out and walked away from it for a while. Just recently got back into riding. Through a long-term relationship we have the X-Star that our Hyperlite rep used in 2001. Still in great shape and one of my favorite wakes ever.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl