"Wizard" Equivalent for Phantom 4?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am debating between a Phantom 4 and a Typhoon H. The Typhoon has the lead in the decision process because it is available with a compact, handheld remote control called the Wizard. The primary reason the Wizard is weighing so heavily in the decision is that it works as a homing beacon for the Typhoon to return to. Secondary is that the Wizard can also control the Typhoon. Essentially the Wizard enables Follow Me functionality without the need to have the main controller unit + display device in the posession of the subject. The subject need only carry the Wizard remote -AND- it enables a constantly updated, moving waypoint for Return to Home.

I do not think DJI has this available now, but is there a future plan for something like this?

Chris

Reactions: smackc4
The wizard is a bit of a gimmick at this point but that may change with future firmware updates. The RTH minimum altitude is not user configurable on the H.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The wizard is a bit of a gimmick at this point but that may change with future firmware updates. The RTH minimum altitude is not user configurable on the H.

So the Typhoon RTH will not actually land the bird? Or is the min altitude only before it reaches the landing point?

It's a far cry from a gimmick. It's a slick piece of technology and I love mine.

It will land the bird but it is a very rough landing. The RTH altitude is the altitude of travel towards the home point.

It's a far cry from a gimmick. It's a slick piece of technology and I love mine.
Depending on your usage, perhaps. My H produces practically useless footage when tracking the Wizard.

Also worth mentioning is the truly sad implementation of the cable cam feature. Flying the H and P4 back to back, it may be more clear but not everyone gets that opportunity.

Thanks for that. To be honest I probably would have already bought a Typhoon were it not for two things:

1) The 26 foot fence around the controller waypoint for Dynamic Return to Home

2) My concerns about build quality vs the Phantom (I like the mag chassis)

Since the Typhoon will not return within 26 feet of the location of the controller, it will not be able to land 1) on a boat; 2) on the shore - both of which will land the Typhoon in the water, which is not a good thing.

If DJI offered something like the Wizard (without the 26 foot fence) I probably would have already purchased one. (However I do like the behavior of the Intel-based collision avoidance vs the DJI version because the Intel version will evade around objects rather than only evade over them.)

Chris

Depending on your usage, perhaps. My H produces practically useless footage when tracking the Wizard.

Also worth mentioning is the truly sad implementation of the cable cam feature. Flying the H and P4 back to back, it may be more clear but not everyone gets that opportunity.

I will agree on the cablecam. It needs work compared to my P4, but the Wizard is a winner for me.

Thanks for that. To be honest I probably would have already bought a Typhoon were it not for two things:

2) My concerns about build quality vs the Phantom (primarily the mag chassis)

Since the Typhoon will not return within 26 feet of the location of the controller, it will not be able to land 1) on a boat; 2) on the shore - both of which will land the Typhoon in the water, which is not a good thing.

If DJI offered something like the Wizard (without the 26 foot fence) I probably would have already purchased one. (However I do like the behavior of the Intel-based collision avoidance vs the DJI version because the Intel version will evade around objects rather than only evade over them.)

Chris

I'm not sure where you got your information. I've landed my H at my feet. As for build quality, drop either one of them from +50 feet and watch what happens.

How does the Typhoon H Dynamic Return to Home mode work?
Dynamic Return to Home allows you to move your location while in flight. Should you need to enable the Dynamic Return to Home option, your Typhoon H will return to your current location rather than from where you lifted off. Additionally, you can still pilot Typhoon H while in Dynamic Return to Home while on its vertical descent to pinpoint the final landing location.

2) My concerns about build quality vs the Phantom (I like the mag chassis)

Chris
The 26 foot fence is only in place in the base operating mode. Flip a switch and you can land wherever you want.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
What Geo Fence and flight safety features are built into Typhoon H?
The built-in GPS on the Typhoon H establishes a 26 ft (8m) diameter Smart Circle around the pilot when taking off and landing, and also creates a Geo Fence that keeps the aircraft from traveling farther than 300 ft (91m) from the pilot's position. Typhoon H is programmed to be FAA compliant, meaning that it does not travel higher than 400 ft (122m) and prevents flight in no fly zones.

This is only true in Smart Mode.

Nothing comes to mind that I can do with my P4 that I cannot do with my H. There are, however; a number of things that I can do with my H that I Cannot do with my P4, not the least of which is retract the gear and get stable 360 degree video without destabilizing the craft by rotation.

Both are fine crafts. It all depends on what you want. I love both for different reasons. I love my P3, my 350QX's, et all. All for entirely different reasons.

I will say this at the risk of ruffling your feathers because that certainly isn't my intent. With all due respect, if you're totally depending on RTH landing the aircraft for you, you are in the wrong hobby. The only time I ever even use RTH is when I may have momentarily lost sight of it and need to get it back in my eyeballs. Once I've done that, I'm the PIC again.

I trust my skills flying and landing it a hundred times more than any automated landing algorithm where it only takes one of 10,000 things to go wrong.

Nothing comes to mind that I can do with my P4 that I cannot do with my H. There are, however; a number of things that I can do with my H that I Cannot do with my P4, not the least of which is retract the gear and get stable 360 degree video without destabilizing the craft by rotation.
For 95% of shots, yaw on the P4 can accomplish what a 360 gimbal can do (ignoring a high wind situation). If you are needing the 5% that really benefits from the 360 gimbal, I would disqualify the H based on the camera quality alone. Mine is acceptable from a focus perspective, but many have arrived out of focus from the factory with no easy adjustment for that. You will also want to lock your exposure on the H because it is pretty far from step-less.

Just to clear the air, I own both plus an Inspire Pro. I suppose it's obvious which tool I'm carrying if I need a 360 gimbal :)

For 95% of shots, yaw on the P4 can accomplish what a 360 gimbal can do (ignoring a high wind situation). If you are needing the 5% that really benefits from the 360 gimbal, I would disqualify the H based on the camera quality alone. Mine is acceptable from a focus perspective, but many have arrived out of focus from the factory with no easy adjustment for that. You will also want to lock your exposure on the H because it is pretty far from step-less.

Just to clear the air, I own both plus an Inspire Pro. I suppose it's obvious which tool I'm carrying if I need a 360 gimbal :)

I forgot to put my Inspire 1 v.2 in the list. That's what I flew all afternoon. LOL

Will the H land right on top of the Wizard in Dynamic RTH mode? (No manual input)
No. RTH on my H won't get you anywhere near that sort of accuracy. Mine is typically within 3 meters

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1