Witnessed Near Miss

Reaction score
Was flying my Mavic over the swamp in my backyard. Was up a couple hundred feet when I heard a jet approaching. When it's really overcast, planes fly pretty low over my neighborhood - still way higher than I fly, but I always drop down and away from planes so they don't freak out (I have strobes so it's very visible).

Anyway, out of nowhere this little prop plane comes buzzing in and starts climbing aimed RIGHT at the jet. The prop plane finally turned away but it looked like it wanted to play "chicken".

Now the actual distance the small plane got to the large plane was probably a lot more than it looked, but still - what a stupid move, esp. in this security environment.

Was flying my Mavic over the swamp in my backyard. Was up a couple hundred feet when I heard a jet approaching. When it's really overcast, planes fly pretty low over my neighborhood - still way higher than I fly, but I always drop down and away from planes so they don't freak out (I have strobes so it's very visible).

Anyway, out of nowhere this little prop plane comes buzzing in and starts climbing aimed RIGHT at the jet. The prop plane finally turned away but it looked like it wanted to play "chicken".

Now the actual distance the small plane got to the large plane was probably a lot more than it looked, but still - what a stupid move, esp. in this security environment.

Does this airport have a control tower? It's possible both aircraft were under ATC and this looked a lot worse then it actually was

Last edited:

We who pilot 'human' carrying aircraft do not 'play chicken'. The aircraft were probably 1000's of feet apart and you cannot tell distance of aircraft from looking from the ground, mark 1 eyeball can't do that......

Does this airport have a control tower? It's possible both aircraft were under ATC and this looded a lot worse then it actually was

The jet was coming from Orlando International or Orlando Executive airport. the small plane probably came from the Executive airport or one of the smaller landing strips around here (there are several).

We who pilot 'human' carrying aircraft do not 'play chicken'. The aircraft were probably 1000's of feet apart and you cannot tell distance of aircraft from looking from the ground, mark 1 eyeball can't do that......

I'm just telling you what I saw. And seeing a plane can cover 1/2 a mile in under 20 seconds, a couple thousand feet doesn't seem like a comfortable distance.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel