Windy Flying

Reaction score
So we just settled into our typical summer weather. Right now it's mostly sunny, low 90's and winds 15-25mph. It will mostly never go below that on the winds. So I'm out here learning to fly in it, with only the one battery. About 30 minutes to cool it off after running it to 55% for the conditioning. Then about 45 minutes to recharge it using the power inverter in the car. I can get maybe 3 flights in before the heat gets to me. Within a month, it will go to 102 degrees average with really hot days being upwards of 110 degrees.

So who else is doomed to flying in windy conditions? How are you adjusting? Any tips you want to pass on?

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Those are fine to fly in. Definitely effects battery but nothing the bird can't handle.

What gets it is odd direction crazy wind gusts. At least from my experience

If it's really windy the main thing is to fly upwind, come home downwind.

Check your bird's performance going upwind first.
If it's working hard to make 5 mph, you know not to zoom off downwind.

Reactions: snerd
I went flying out on Martha's Vineyard last weekend. Please take my advice and keep a good eye on which way the wind is moving because if your fighting to get back against 24MPH winds your going to eat some battery life getting back if your a decent ways out. Sure, you haul going out with the wind but fighting it back and landing it gently is tricky and I have been flying heli's for 6 Years and it took some concentration.

Reactions: snerd
Around 20mph is fairly normal here for days on end, it does often drop for a while around sunset and sunrise though.
I don't like it and usually try to fly into it rather than have to struggle home into the wind which might get stronger during the flight.
With the Vision plus 20mph was just about too much to be safe, the P3's more powerful motors really help.
On the plus side if you get a good way out upwind you can hurtle back at most of 50mph

If it's really windy the main thing is to fly upwind, come home downwind.

Check your bird's performance going upwind first.
If it's working hard to make 5 mph, you know not to zoom off downwind.
Great tip, thanks!

My grandson (13) has been with me most trips. He's tickled pink that I let him fly it, although fairly close. We definitely noticed big battery power loss going into strong winds!

Last edited:
I flew up to some clouds that were pre-thunderstorm type and it was really windy but the bird stayed in a near perfect hover. Then my controller started losing the RC signal for no apparent reason and I am guessing the cloud had some sort of static build up interfering with me but I have never seen the issue occur at such a low altitude. Zzz Zz FRIED Phantom would be bad mmmmkay.

I guess I inadvertently built my house in one of the windiest places I could have chosen. Quarter of a mile up or down the road and the conditions appear much better, with the breeze much calmer. It is an illusion of course; with the strong wind at higher altitudes still there. You are just not aware of it.

I have a Davis weather station and pay a lot of attention to wind speed. I'm personally not comfortable flying in wind speeds above 15 mph. I know the bird is more than capable of handling such conditions, but I prefer to stay safe and within my comfort zone.

Windless conditions in morning and early evening would be perfect, if it wasn't for the midges. From June to October, when the wind drops away and the humidity rises, the dreaded Scottish midge reveals its presence. And I kid you not when I say they would make a grown man cry; they arise in their MILLIONS, their only intent to sting and suck your blood so they can breed. Kill one and a thousand come to the funeral. Little b%£&**£s, I hate them. So, when flying, it's a case of trying to choose just the right moment here, not too calm or too windy either; not an easy thing to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan