Windsurfer

Reaction score
Hi all,

Was just wondering do windsurfers actually boost signal at all?, or if if does is it that little it isn't wort it?, I've read both good and bad on amazon so was hoping that someone on here has actually tried one.

Many thanks

Lee

I don't even put mine on anymore. It did nothing to the distance for me when I tried it back to back a couple times. I am in the process of installing the alpha panels. Some great results have been mentioned here with those.

I have two different versions of the Windsurfer style. I have plans to get out of town and do some real side by side tests with all variables controlled as much as possible. My off hand experience here in town indicated they are of little value and they cause the antenna to be much more directional. Like the original antennas are floodlights and the windsurfers are spotlights.

Some flights the windsurfers here at home have yielded a bit farther, maybe 10 to 20 percent, but then on a subsequent flight in a different direction, the range was not as far as without them.

Reactions: phantomAlex
I have one and it works . I can get about another 500 feet in a urban area. Only downside is you have to keep facing the drone.

I have one and I use it because it looks really cool!

It all seriousness, I bought it, it was a couple of bucks, can't possibly hurt so will use it until I mod some other way.

It's nearly impossible to duplicate testing, when you have to take into consideration location, time of day, atmospheric pressure, distance, and any number of other conditions. But like I said, it can't hurt.

villain19WDCpozdhVS8 1118116 said:
Hi all,

Was just wondering do windsurfers actually boost signal at all?, or if if does is it that little it isn't wort it?, I've read both good and bad on amazon so was hoping that someone on here has actually tried one.

Many thanks

Lee
This is my fly with the Windsurfer. I use Magic Power but that helps only WiFi.

Last edited:
Again mixed opinions, but then I suppose it would be as different conditions different results, id like to put some new antenna on it to boost the signal but I'm technically sh!#!!.

Cheers for the replies

I technically sh!#!! too. Therefore I have a windsurfer.;-)

Last edited:
I have a homemade one that I got off of Toms tech website. I've managed over 10,000 feet with it on my P3s. The furthest I've ever been without it is 4,000 feet.

In town mine helps a bit. I still get interference warnings because of all the Wi-Fi, but I went from being able to go around 900 feet to about 1,300 feet. But out in the country it's a different story. I went from about 4,300 feet stock to about 8,400 feet with a windsurfer and the MagicPower mod.

You can buy these for about $15 off Amazon and get them right away, but because I got my Phantom in the dead of winter and wasn't able to fly much, I ordered mine off eBay for $3. It took five weeks to get here from China, but I was in no hurry.

I've never used a windsurfer with a P3S but I do have a generic windsurfer bought from Amazon that I use with my P3P.
One example I can recall where I did a 6000+ft flight with the windsurfer on and then repeated the same flight without using it.
The flight with the windsurfer was faultless with 100% controller and live view HD signal uninterrupted.
The second flight straight after and without the windsurfer had 2 instances where HD signal was briefly interrupted and dropped the signal down from 5 bars to 3 bars.
I have not tested the max distance I can achieve with my P3P as of yet but I'm convinced that using the windsurfer when directed correctly can help to achieve a better quality signal between remote and drone.

I've made the one from RodPad's post and have gone over 2 miles. Check out some of my other posts or my YouTube channel, NcQuadPilot, for some videos. All I've been using is the homemade windsurfer and it has more than doubled my range

Reactions: RodPad
Hi all,

Many thanks

Lee
Yes. Put one together last night. Took about 10 minutes - doubled my LOS range.

IMO, the only function the parabolic reflector does is to block other unwanted interferences around the RC's antenna. Yes, it does boost the signal, but all it does is to reflect noise towards the AC, so, it's only boosting noisy signal.
This is becuase there is a gap of 1-2 cm between the reflector and the anetenna, which is enough to throw the reflected signal out-of-phase from the direct signal transmited between the Tx and Rx. (Out-of-phase signal = noise).
I think it really depends on where you are using it, it's probably more effective in an urban setting than in the middle of wilderness.

Last edited:
IMO, the only function the parabolic reflector does is to block other unwanted interferences around the RC's antenna. Yes, it does boost the signal, but all it does is to reflect noise towards the AC, so, it's only boosting noisy signal.
This is becuase there is a gap of 1-2 cm between the reflector and the anetenna, which is enough to throw the reflected signal out-of-phase from the direct signal transmited between the Tx and Rx. (Out-of-phase signal = noise).
I think it really depends on where you are using it, it's probably more effective in an urban setting than in the middle of wilderness.
Not in an urban area. 1cm at 2.4GHz not too much an issue as RF wavelength is 12.5 cm.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl