Windows 10 not playing MP4 video files anymore

Reaction score
I used to be able to play my raw drone files on my desktop running Windows 10 but it no longer does. Just to be clear I'm talking about the H.265 version of MP4. Yes, it never played smoothly using "Media Player" or the "Movies & TV" app but it did play. Actually, it would play in a stuttering manor at about 40% of recorded speed.

So, I suspect that one of the Windows updates borked this ability or perhaps M$ simply deleted the ability to play it and if so they probably did so because it didn't play well. I can still load the file into Premiere Pro and play them but not using either of the aforementioned M$ apps.

I can play MP4 video files recorded using H.264 but not ones recorded with H.265 although until recently it would play the H.265 version -- just in a stuttering manor at about 40% speed.

Anyone know what's up for sure?

Brian

I don't like the 'forced' updates on Windows 10, which often seem to happen just when I'm about to do some important work with my pc, so I have disabled updates...

However, I chose to do a windows 10 update recently when it suited me and then found that several of my tried-and-tested preferred programs had stopped working. So I rolled it back to how it was before the update (you have 10 days to do this) and then re-disabled Windows Updates.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj