Importing issues h.264 MP4 into Premiere CC

Reaction score
This is racking my brain...When I import my h.264, MP4 video files from my P4P into premiere some of the videos will import while the others that don't, I get an error where it says:

File Import error
The file has no audio or video streams

Now I've heard of issues with h.265 codec in premiere but this is crazy... All of the video files play fine on my machine and others. I'm on a Dell XPS 15 9550 running the most recent premiere CC. Has ANYONE else experienced this? And, if so, what did you do to fix it? Crazy to think that this is an issue... PLEASE HELP!

I have never had an issue with H.264 files in Premiere. Not sure what it could be. H.265 can cause issues but I've gotten around all of those. Do the clips play in something else like VLC?

I have never had an issue with H.264 files in Premiere. Not sure what it could be. H.265 can cause issues but I've gotten around all of those. Do the clips play in something else like VLC?

Yes, I've played them in VLC. Strangely when using the stock windows video viewer it plays back flawlessly. However, when playing with VLC it's a little jittery. Someone has suggested importing with media browser instead of simply importing via the nav bar. What do you think?

I have managed to work around file import errors by opening in a program or app that WILL open it then exporting it back out. Just yesterday I couldn’t open a .jpg in Photoshop. PS complained the image was a “banknote” and counterfeiting was illegal! It opened in Lightroom. Exported it as a .jpg with no meta tags. PS opened it fine after that.

Acquire Handbrake and convert/save it back out. Import that into Premiere and let me know how you get on.

Generally speaking, Adobe Premiere accepts video files in MPEG-2, DV-AVI, QuickTime MOV, etc format. So, in order to load and edit H.264 files in Premiere Pro, the first thing you need to do is to transcode H.264 to Premiere supported video formats.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31