Wind speed

Reaction score
What you you consider to be the maximum safe Windspeed a P3

EG -15 mph average gusting 20 mph

The Phantom 3 manual recommends not flying in wind speeds exceeding 10 m/s (22 MPH). While the Phantom could no doubt hover in speeds greater than that, it'll have a tough time getting back to the home point when flying into a head wind. If you want to fly in stronger winds, make sure the Phantom is flying with the wind on the way back to the home point.

One thing to bear in mind is 20 mph wind at the surface may be 35 mph at 100' and at 400' 40+.

It is one thing to fly close to the ground in a sheltered environment. Once you ascend you can be in for a big surplice.

Check winds aloft, not just surface winds.

Here is a link to wind in NE:
AWC - NCEP Winds Aloft Forecasts - NE US

Yes you do have to know how to read them. And 3000' is the lowest altitude reported, but it gives you a good idea of what is going on.

I always like to fly in Atti mode for a bit when getting ready for a shoot, just to see what local winds are doing. Flying in GPS mode all the time does not prepare you for adverse condition operation, or even spotting high wind.

I have flown in 20kt wind with 35kt gusts but it is no fun and you have to stay low and close, in those conditions I never fly down wind, you may never get back. Stay upwind.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94