Wind speed

Reaction score
Hi guys quick question,
What's the maximum wind speed that you would fly your p3s at???

Don't fly if speed is over 15 mph or you feel difficult to control.

Hi guys quick question,
What's the maximum wind speed that you would fly your p3s at???
There's no simple answer.
It depends on what you want to do, the direction of the wind, where and how far you want to fly.
The Phantom can easily hold position in winds well over 20 knots.

I'm not sure. Anything over 18 mph for me and no fly. That is a pretty strong wind which means it's stronger at altitude. Just get a app like hover or uav and it will tell you at every altitude of wind speed ok.

I flew yesterday with winds at around 20mph and my phantom 3 standard fly like a champ. I was able to record what I need and she flew twice with not issues. Yes, when she descend it moves a lot but very stable. I am amazed in how they can fly with not real issues at all.

That's my max settings tbh just was wondering if I'd set it too high I have my UAV weather app set at wind speed at 100ft with wind speed of 15mph so wasn't sure if I had my setting right. Cheers

That's my max settings tbh just was wondering if I'd set it too high I have my UAV weather app set at wind speed at 100ft with wind speed of 15mph so wasn't sure if I had my setting right. Cheers
You'd do better to use your own senses rather than trusting some app to tell you what local conditions are where you want to fly.

Reactions: Numone and macoman
I've flown in +30 mph wind, which was hitting the right side of the AC. Whilst it did drift a little off course, but it was nothing major. I turned it into the wind at full throttle and it was creeping along at 5-7mph, paused and it held its own.
Only on one occasion have I had the AC completely static when trying to return home, so that must have been 35mph+ @ 360' and almost dead calm on the ground. I dropped altitude and it began to return and at around 200' it was around 11mph. At 100' it was back to 30mph.
These ACs are amazing.

Reactions: macoman
You'd do better to use your own senses rather than trusting some app to tell you what local conditions are where you want to fly.

I'd agree with this comment 100%. Each person needs to be comfortable with what their own aircraft is doing. I went out the other day, got to my takeoff spot and the wind was crazy - 22mph according to UAV forecast app but it felt worse. I was a little nervous as I haven't flown in much wind but the good thing was it was coming straight at me so coming home was going to be no problem. I just stayed close and it handled it fine. I was also able to hit my top speed of 51.4mph. The person i was with is kind of scared to use ATTI mode. I showed them the difference when the GPS was turned off, they were amazed. It blew away so fast, it looked like I was using the throttle. Turned GPS back on and it just stood still. If you're concerned with wind but want to try it I'd just stay close, know which way its going and make sure it's a large enough area for a possibly shaky landing and takeoff.

Keep in mind, winds aloft will always be higher than surface winds. It's usually a significant increase. Fifteen on the ground can easily turn into twenty-five at 400'

It's a good thing these things are drones.

SB

Keep in mind, winds aloft will always be higher than surface winds. It's usually a significant increase. Fifteen on the ground can easily turn into twenty-five at 400'

It's a good thing these things are drones.

SB
...yep, as was my experience above...

Can't wait to fly her as I haven't flown her since trading my Fc40. I'm dying to take some shots and vids of Cornwall.

Reactions: Numone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94