Wind concerns flying at high altitude

Reaction score
I finished my inaugural phantom 3 flights this weekend. I left in beginner mode so it capped out at 100ft high. Even that "low" it was still starting to look like a spec and don't know I would have wanted to push it any higher to be sure I had a LOS.

Even if it's relatively calm on the ground I was worried wind conditions might change as you get significantly higher. Has anyone ever had any problems with the phantom getting caught in winds at altitude? Does it compensate against wind ok with in reason?

Anyone ever completely loose control b/c of wind?

They actually fly pretty good with wind. Biggest issues is distance flying. If you fly out with the wind and turn around and come back into the wind you are only going to fly roughly 10 mph into a 20mph wind and chew up same battery as if you were going full speed.

I often get the thing to altitude and flip it to ATTI mode and let it drift. Will tell you what the winds are like up top.

I had quite the learning experience once. I took off in 20mph winds and began to fly along a pond. I was heading downwind. I ascended to about 100M. When I was about 800M away, decided to come back. But, at full reverse throttle and, once turned around, at full forward throttle, I watch my telemetry show the distance away continuing to increase! 825. 850. 900. So I flew to the side, off the pond and began to descend. By the time I got down to 40M up, I was 1000M away. But now the Distance reading began to fall and I flew back home safely. Lessons learned. When the wind is high on the the ground, it's higher at altitude. Fly into the wind first, and return with the wind.

Reactions: bbfpv

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues