Will you be switching from Phantom series to the new Mavic 2 series?

Will you be switching from Phantom series to the new Mavic 2 series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When I tried to tell what footage on this video
was shot with my Mavic Air or my P4P, I decided that on a 27” display you can’t tell which drone captured which footage. I would challenge you to make an attempt to differentiate the two drones. Than make a more intelligent comment.

While I thoroughly enjoyed your video, and think that all of the footage is fantastic, I had no issue differentiating one from the other as scenes switched. I have experience with both drones and their respective profiles, so maybe that helps me too. Very nice video, beautiful place. Im viewing on iPhone XS for reference.

Why is that funny?
On a tiny phone screen I can hardly make a difference between the cached downsized footage and the original... Very true though, that most people are consuming media on 5-7" screens, for them it's relevant. Haven't tried but I doubt that one could make a big difference on a 7" screen between Spark and P4P (daylight) material.

On a tiny phone screen I can hardly make a difference between the cached downsized footage and the original... Very true though, that most people are consuming media on 5-7" screens, for them it's relevant. Haven't tried but I doubt that one could make a big difference on a 7" screen between Spark and P4P (daylight) material.
Fair enough. My though also was that a phone screen (principally due to the small size and high pixel density) was almost certainly amongst the least useful devices to make a reasonable comparison. I did suspect however @DKG13CC might have appreciated that and that’s why they qualified their response.

was shot with my Mavic Air or my P4P, I decided that on a 27” display you can’t tell which drone captured which footage. I would challenge you to make an attempt to differentiate the two drones. Than make a more intelligent comment.
Beautiful work- the average viewer appreciating this won’t care what drone/camera was used to acquire it. Where you on the sticks or trusting litchi for those last few close fly pasts of the lighthouse? As impressive as it is you can have a bad day with GPS resolution- Murphy was an optimist.

Reactions: DKG13CC
you know, it's really easy to tell which was shot on which - take away the 'perfect lighting' and shoot the same movie again - the 4 Pro will easily outclass the Air (unless you need glasses). View them on a 4K screen you will immediately see the difference (unless you need glasses). Edit them
in any software and you will immediately see the difference (unless you need glasses)

So yeah, I will happily accept your challenge and view them (uncompressed/unedited) on my 40" monitor and I'll tell you the difference with one eye shut (because I accept that I do need to wear glasses and embrace them because they make my vision much better)

If we are discussing 'intelligent comments' maybe you shold take a look at the person saying that a sensor 1/5th the size of another can produce indiscernible results.

I am waiting. Pick 10 clips and tell me which were done with the P4P.

Beautiful work- the average viewer appreciating this won’t care what drone/camera was used to acquire it. Where you on the sticks or trusting litchi for those last few close fly pasts of the lighthouse? As impressive as it is you can have a bad day with GPS resolution- Murphy was an optimist.

I use DJI’s Go 4 app. The actual distance on the close fly-by was 10’. There was little or no wind.

The video you posted will not play full screen on a 27 inch nor a 80 inch, that is where i see the differences mostly.

List 5 clips from each drone. Let’s see how you did!

I am waiting. Pick 10 clips and tell me which were done with the P4P.
hmmm, you seem to have failed at the first hurdle....

Read my post again!

I'm guessing you do need glasses after all, but, i'll make it really easy for you

'I will happily accept your challenge and view them (uncompressed/unedited)'

Have you posted 5 or 10 uncompressed videos? Nope, so there's nothing to compare :D

Read my post again!

I'm guessing you do need glasses after all, but, i'll make it really easy for you

Have you posted 5 or 10 uncompressed videos? Nope, so there's nothing to compare :D

The point is that the video you see when you click on the attached link is the video on VIMEO that most people see. It has many scenes. It is normally displayed on a computer screen. You can use the time mark to define which clips you feel are taken with which drone. Uncompressed/Unedited videos have data on them that list the camera used. My point when making a recommendation for a Mavic Air for most people is that most people DO NOT show unedited video on a large screen. They get an edited version (often "dumbed down" even more on such sites as Facebook vs. Video) set via e-mail, Facebook, or other site like Instagram.

most of your videos may get seen on a Facebook/Vimeo etc - the same doesn't apply to all of us and we (and our clients) can easily identify the difference because we aren't showing our movies at 720p

I get it, you have a Mavic Air, you think it's great but for many of us it's not and the pics/video really aren't up to scratch.

Reactions: DKG13CC
Actually, I had a P4P for a very long time. It got replaced by a Mavic Air due to the issue we are discussing. Now I have a Mavic 2 Pro because I do need better resolution, ability to make video in low light conditions, and more portability. The Mavic 2 Pro meets those requirements. The main issue with the P4P was the size of the back pack with the P4P, 5 batteries, and other accessories like filters. But ... I don't feel most DJI Phantom and Mavic pilots have the more professional needs you speak of. Most who need to go the next step work with more professional drones like the Inspire. In my case, the most professional requirement I have had is making material for online video promotions of vacation camps. Note the wording ... online. That's where I reduce my still images to 72 dpi and my video to lower resolutions. Again, in these cases, the Mavic Air does the job very well.

Reactions: OOO

Read my post again!

As a casual observer here your challenge seemed a little on the silly side the first time you mentioned it- do you supply your clients uncompressed video? If you were shooting for broadcast or true professional film needs you probably would need to (and you would be carrying 100k in gear). Just because the P4P as professional written on the side doesn't mean its suitable for professional applications.

Reactions: Russ43Phantom
As a casual observer here your challenge seemed a little on the silly side the first time you mentioned it- do you supply your clients uncompressed video? If you were shooting for broadcast or true professional film needs you probably would need to (and you would be carrying 100k in gear). Just because the P4P as professional written on the side doesn't mean its suitable for professional applications.

nope but i regularly provide 4K video to clients who display their media on large screens. Just as an aside - when I first commented on the M2P saying 'don't fall for the badge' you added a pretty snarky comment about me being in a club of one - as the club seems to have grown in size with talks of softness, pixel binning, line skipping and other nasties I note that you have removed your original comments :D

nope but i regularly provide 4K video to clients who display their media on large screens. Just as an aside - when I first commented on the M2P saying 'don't fall for the badge' you added a pretty snarky comment about me being in a club of one - as the club seems to have grown in size with talks of softness, pixel binning, line skipping and other nasties I note that you have removed your original comments :D
Your imagining things- I haven’t removed anything.

List 5 clips from each drone. Let’s see how you did!

Still viewing this on a mobile but I thought I should come back to this as it was briefly discussed in another thread. Had to find your video on Vimeo so I could skip through it as viewing embedded means no skipping.

I'm gonna start and say the shot at 3:00 is from the Mavic?

OK, this video seems way too small to offer any accurate guess but after viewing the vimeo file (link in page source) on my laptop .... I'll have a go

Initital approach to lighthouse - P4P

Second approach to lighthouse - Mavic

vertical close up of lighthouse - Mavic

flyby out to the water - Mavic

pull back over the water - Mavic

second pull back over the water - Mavic

close up of light - Mavic

left to right sweep - Mavic

Top down - Mavic

side approach - Mavic

Rocks - Mavic

Close pass of light - Mavic

drop down - Mavic

Orbit right to left -Mavic

next pass - Mavic

approach at footpath level - Mavic

left to right sweep - Mavic

Waves on rocks - Mavic

left to right orbit - P4P

more water on rocks - Mavic

final pull out - P4P

lack of fwd/pause and rewind controls means I may have missed a few :)

Last edited:
My comment (response to you) wasn’tt removed- it’s still there- just in a different thread...
B6030E5F-A95F-4323-992B-3AC92F244712.jpeg

Seemingly more fact than “snarky”...

In following the discussion progressing in various forums (including DJi’s Official response) we are starting to get some clarity.

With respect to the speculation that DJI has to reduce performance of the M2P due to heat issues or there might be some deliberate attempt to cripple the performance so to somehow not outshine the P4PA/P it seems neither theory has any basis in fact.

HQ mode is not employing any pixel binning, like skipping, horizontal/vertical line addition or other interpolation or partial read out scheme prior to sensor readout. HQ mode is employing raw sub sampling prior to the main processing pipeline in the SOC. Logical and reasonable- how else might a 5.XK native sensor readout be downscaled to 4K? DJI admits the raw file from the camera is subjectively less sharp however the detail can be easily recovered with an unsharp mask in post. This seems true given real P4P VS M2P aside by side evaluation of graded footage.

The proof, as always, is in the pudding.

I like my heavy old bird, it seems to handle the wind better than my friends M2P

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20