Will you be switching from Phantom series to the new Mavic 2 series?

Will you be switching from Phantom series to the new Mavic 2 series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I bout a P4P about a week ago. I have not opened it yet but am a bit concerned that they will be EOL'ing the P4P. I am considering sending it back and getting the P4Pv2.0. However, the price I paid for the P4P was hard to pass up. I'm struggling to shell out an additional $500 for the V2.0. Any major or significant advantages of the V2.0 that would justify the price?

For me the dilemma is whether to buy the P4Pv2 or the Mavic 2 Pro. I am already equipped with the supporting accessories (extra batteries, car charger, hard case etc) for the Phantom (since I had the P4P).

Reactions: Fly Mark Fly
Nope. That thing's ugly as hell.
I think it looks like a shark that came home and discovered his wife had been sleeping with the mail man. Very shocked, slightly sad.

dji-mavic-2-pro-drone-p5225-9737_medium-1.jpg

Any major or significant advantages of the V2.0 that would justify the price?

Nope.

No Mavic 2 for me yet. I have a P4A+, and just now purchased another of the same, used (a month old, 10 flights) for a reasonable price. I prefer the built-in screen of the plus-models, and I will wait with the Mavic 2 until they announce it as a Mavic 2 Pro +.

Keeping the camera aside, are there any other advantages of the P4P over the Mavic 2 Pro? I have read the Phantom is more stable in windy situations but there is no conclusive demonstration of that. Or is there?
Flying recently with a Mavic Buddy. One could see the wind effects on the Mavic, both visually and on the monitor. Not so with the P4V2. Very very pleased I chose the Phantom!

Reactions: RPP
I do both. Always have. But, there is a reason I have two P4p's. One tough sob.

Keeping the camera aside, are there any other advantages of the P4P over the Mavic 2 Pro? I have read the Phantom is more stable in windy situations but there is no conclusive demonstration of that. Or is there?

Yes it is more stable, and survives crash's extremely well. The Mavic is just so portable. I put it on the dash of the truck, where I can get to it in a hurry.

Reactions: Squirrel! and RPP
I could have switched because I just received my insurance claim for a crashed P4P, but nope, I have too much invested in Phantom 4 Pro batteries (9!)

I could have switched because I just received my insurance claim for a crashed P4P, but nope, I have too much invested in Phantom 4 Pro batteries (9!)
Did you have State Farm? I agree on the accessories. Don't like thinking about the amount I have in them.

OK Phantom fliers....Are you going to switch from the good old white bird to the new-fangled Mavic? Please let me know your answers.

not sure i’m leaning towards the inspire 2 from p3p

Reactions: Squirrel!
Not really switching but adding to the fleet. I already have the Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian, but you know how it goes when something new comes along. I enjoy flying them all.

Reactions: KeyToNewHome
I have the P4, but my Mavic 2 Pro arrived Wednesday morning. We had a good strong breeze yesterday, so I figured, what better time to test it. I puttered up and down the street a bit, and it held steady. Decided to travel out a bit further with the gusts still in effect, flags were waving and snapping at the 3’oclock position. The bird held steady all the way out about 1500 feet and back. I only picked the bird with 1 battery, so I didn’t want to waste too much energy fighting to RTH. I really like the quick deployment of the M2P, and the maneuverability is amazing! I love my P4, but now I love my M2P also.View attachment 102998View attachment 102999

Last edited:
OK Phantom fliers....Are you going to switch from the good old white bird to the new-fangled Mavic? Please let me know your answers.

Would love to but just got me a Phantom 4Pro Obsidian a few months ago so not too soon yet.. unless someone wants to donate me one

Get over the Hasselblad badge/marketing excercise and ask who makes the sensor (the really important bit) my guess is it's the same 1" one already in the P4P. then read the spec of the two cameras and realise that far from being an improvement, it actually falls short of the P4Pro in several ways.

If you are happy wit what you have, don't fall for hype

I love my P4P which I bought last summer. I picked it for its then superior camera and stability. And I appreciate the difference in 4K. As a casual user, I only need one camera drone. It’s terrific.

But, if I was buying a new one today, I’d get the Mavic 2 Pro for sure. The portability factor is huge and it’s as advanced as a camera and platform I need. That being said, if I was not in a rush, I’d wait and see what the Phantom 5 looks like. For all we know, it could be much more portable or offer some other great platform differences we’re not aware of yet.

Nice to have great choices.

Not really switching but adding to the fleet. I already have the Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian, but you know how it goes when something new comes along. I enjoy flying them all.
Same here-- I think the differences between the Phantom series and the Mavic series are on purpose and comparing the two is sorta pointless. When I want portability, goggles and quieter flight I grab the Mavic. When I want power, stability and brutal 4k@60fps 100mbps. it's the P4P. Upgrading my mavic to the new version is not switching drones to me.

I completely agree with what Pauxier said. It's something that is not appropriate to compare.
I have a P4P+ and a Mavic Air. It suits me completely for my activities.
The Mavic I have serves me as the backup in some situations (P4 batteries empty etc.). The portability is on the Mavic side, but if I'm going to shoot an extra location, I take the Phantom. I film at 4K 60f/s usually. And moving the P4P is much more smooth and precise than the Mavic due to its controller size. And another important issue - I can better see the Phantom at longer distances as the MavicAir. I rather choose the Mavic Air when I know that there might be some people around (at permitted distance) and you never know what might happen. Mavic Air will likely do less harm if it accidentally falls down. And of course in situations where the Phantom big case is either unpractical or even impossible to carry.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj