Will there be a PHANTOM V PRO in 2018?

Reaction score
Happy 2018!

The PHANTOM is still popular, but not as popular as it once was, thanks in part to the SPARK & MAVIC PRO.

Will DJI release the PHANTOM V PRO in 2018? The current Phantom 4 Pro was released way back in November 2016 so it is time for a new generation of Phantom. DJI has to make & sell the Phantom V as something very different than the Spark and Mavic Pro which means we could be in for an interesting product.

Here are my predictions for the Phantom V Pro in 2018. The video discusses the SPARK, MAVIC & PHANTOM. You can jump ahead to 9:10 point to see the comments on the PHANTOM V.

I'm sure you have your own predictions for the Phantom V, please post them in this thread and/or on the video discussion.

Some pretty good predictions there. I'm guessing you will be over 50% on them. Whatever DJI has planned for 2018 I'm sure it will be interesting. I can hardly wait.

They are about to launch a racing drone, this and the new RE Goggles, are a part of the new direction I believe.

My wife is gonna be sooooooo mad at me, just sayin'.............................

Could you not suggest it’s a legitimate business expense. Continuous professional development. The faster speeds are helping hone your pilot skills.
I already succumbed and bought an Eachine wizard. Certainly has been sharpening my skills with flying, especially as it seems worse than ATTI mode with not even a barometer.

They need to fix the problem they have now before they put out more problems, I want a buyer until the bugs are out of the current birds.

Reactions: gizmoking
You expect these products to (ever) be bug free?

LOL.

Nothing against DJI per se bit this is not the nature of cutting edge tech, Chinese or otherwise.

They need to fix the problem they have now before they put out more problems, I want a buyer until the bugs are out of the current birds.

You might be waiting a LONGGGG time... eternity I'm afraid. Some of us having multiple versions of the aircraft and none of them have been "perfected" yet. Basically they quit updating the older ones long before they get all the bugs worked out.

Last edited:
So far apart from a slightly tilted horizon at times (seems to be getting better and easily corrected) and one small crack lower left side battery compartment (fixed) my P4 is a charm to fly ( I'm almost at 8M feet with over 400 flights). I did say so far and I can't complain about the bugs. Never the less when dji comes out with a craft that can do considerably more than what I have now I WILL upset my wife with the good news!

The current Phantom 4 Pro was released way back in November 2016 so it is time for a new generation of Phantom.

Yikes! We are only talking about a year here. My (very expensive) cameras usually update every 4 years or so, and to me that seems like a short time. I have a camera I still use professionally that is 14 years old.

Try telling someone you were born (as I was) in 1955. There would be too many "ways" in waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back, to even describe that date! :)

My dream list for DJI is to have Apple acquire them and take over the customer support function. Let DJI keep their focus on the needs of the drone market in terms of useable function from the drones, gymbals, and cameras.

I would also like to see obstacle avoidance upward to round out a full avoidance capability. I often fly under objects. In the northeast, there often is overhead cover by branches of very tall trees. I want to fly under the natural canopies.

My photographic needs don’t need more speed and my acceptance of VLOS doesn’t require more range.

Finally, I’d like water resistance or water proofing so I can feel comfortable flying in light rain or snow.

Last edited:
I would also like to see obstacle avoidance upward to round out a full avoidance capability. I often fly under objects. In the northeast, there often is overhead cover by branches of very tall trees. I want to fly under the natural canopies.

Finally, I’d like water resistance or water proofing so I can feel comfortable flying in light rain or snow.

I would also welcome weather proofing. Ideally, in the form of a skin to apply to an existing model.

BTW, can anyone confirm if the P4 Advanced has downward obstacle avoidance, or just ahead? Thanks.

Down towards the bottom of the page here: Phantom 4 Advanced - An Advanced Drone for Professional Aerial Photography
Forward Vision System & Downward Vision System

Thanks, since posting I also found THIS PAGE

I asked because when shooting some video over a client's farmland last week, we both noticed that the top of an electricity pylon seemed very close to the camera, although I was sure I was well above them. I got no warning from the app, so either the sensor did not function (hence my question) or I was far enough above it. I have had the proximity warning from below when trying to land on rough ground, though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20