Will the Phantom 3 be as useless as the Phantom 2 Vision+?

For clarification: Are you suggesting doing away with manual mode, or are you saying the P3 has no manual mode? Personally, I would not want to own a drone that has no manual mode.

On the FAQ page when addressing the "P, A,F" on the Tx states:
(http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/faq)

This switch, called the Flight Mode Switch, allows you to toggle different flight modes:
P-mode, or Positioning mode, indicates that both GPS and the Vision Positioning System are active and your Phantom 3 will attempt to stabilize using both.
In A-mode, or Attitude mode, the aircraft does not use GPS or the Vision Positioning System. Only the barometer is used for stabilization. The aircraft can still return to the Home Point as long as a sufficient GPS signal is available.
F-mode, or Function mode, activates Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC) functionality. Refer to the IOC section in the Appendix of the User Manual.
By default, only P mode may be used. Refer to your user manual for instructions on unlocking the other modes.

This seems to imply no Manual mode and I too took it to mean there is none.
Seems one must wait to be sure.

For clarification: Are you suggesting doing away with manual mode, or are you saying the P3 has no manual mode? Personally, I would not want to own a drone that has no manual mode.

That's a good question, DattaGroover, does the P3 have a Manual mode...I believe the ability to fly in manual is an important skill to have. I practice manual flying with my gimbal-less +V2 and also find it to be a pretty sturdy drone!

On the FAQ page when addressing the "P, A,F" on the Tx states:
(http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/faq)

This switch, called the Flight Mode Switch, allows you to toggle different flight modes:
P-mode, or Positioning mode, indicates that both GPS and the Vision Positioning System are active and your Phantom 3 will attempt to stabilize using both.
In A-mode, or Attitude mode, the aircraft does not use GPS or the Vision Positioning System. Only the barometer is used for stabilization. The aircraft can still return to the Home Point as long as a sufficient GPS signal is available.
F-mode, or Function mode, activates Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC) functionality. Refer to the IOC section in the Appendix of the User Manual.
By default, only P mode may be used. Refer to your user manual for instructions on unlocking the other modes.

This seems to imply no Manual mode and I too took it to mean there is none.
Seems one must wait to be sure.
So does that imply that the Atti mode in the P2 also includes RTH? If so, that would explain a lot of fly-aways. I believe (just my guess) is that many fly-ways happen because the GPS in the P2s (or the NAza) gets confused and thinks that home is far away and in the wrong direction.

For me, perfect would be full auto, full manual, and manual with RTH

That's a good question, DattaGroover, does the P3 have a Manual mode...I believe the ability to fly in manual is an important skill to have. I practice manual flying with my gimbal-less +V2 and also find it to be a pretty sturdy drone!
I agree. It's also a skill that is not practiced enough in my opinion.

So does that imply that the Atti mode in the P2 also includes RTH? If so, that would explain a lot of fly-aways. I believe (just my guess) is that many fly-ways happen because the GPS in the P2s (or the NAza) gets confused and thinks that home is far away and in the wrong direction.

For me, perfect would be full auto, full manual, and manual with RTH

In Atti. mode, (or GPS with <6 sats.) Fail-safe does not return to home. It descends at it's current location subject to wind and other drifting.

(Page 23 of the Phantom2 User Manual v1.1)

In Atti. mode, (or GPS with <6 sats.) Fail-safe does not return to home. It descends at it's current location subject to wind and other drifting.

(Page 23 of the Phantom2 User Manual v1.1)
AS I thought. But from what I'm hearing, it looks like the Atti on the P3 DOES return to home on signal loss or low bat.

I think that this unreleased product is getting too much hype and I'm personally waiting to see how it performs when it hits the public. Just looking from the design, it reminds me of how flimsy the Vision+ Gimbal and camera were. Plus the likelihood that the smallest turbulence or bump will destroy it or make in inoperable (not to mention DJI's bad reputation for warranting broken gimbals and cameras).
Troll..

Reactions: Ian H
I am flying a Phantom 3 - 4K and there is nothing wrong with it. I am not a critic nor a DJI fanboy - I am realistic of what to expect. I don't expect heaven or earth from a consumer grade drone manufacturer. I am happy with the Lightbridge quality video downlink, that is Rock steady, the 4K camera and the compact portability of carrying it in a small back pack. A Range of 1.6 miles is a bonus too. Of course if I drop the bird I won't expect to carry the gimbal or anything else in one piece. ;)

I am flying a Phantom 3 - 4K and there is nothing wrong with it. I am not a critic nor a DJI fanboy - I am realistic of what to expect. I don't expect heaven or earth from a consumer grade drone manufacturer. I am happy with the Lightbridge quality video downlink, that is Rock steady, the 4K camera and the compact portability of carrying it in a small back pack. A Range of 1.6 miles is a bonus too. Of course if I drop the bird I won't expect to carry the gimbal or anything else in one piece. ;)
Have you flown it any far distances yet? If so, how is the video at the furthest distance you have flown?

Have you flown it any far distances yet? If so, how is the video at the furthest distance you have flown?

flew it 8800 feet - didn't lose signal so could have gone further.
Didn't want to chance it with battery life - had 26% on return so could have gone more. Nervous to take it to near empty tank!

The trolls and DJI bashers are really getting old on this site. More crying whining babies here than at the local daycare center.

Reactions: Ian H
Didn't want to chance it with battery life - had 26% on return so could have gone more. Nervous to take it to near empty tank!

That is a ggggreat distance and great news for all that have ordered one, do you know if yours is set to the CE or FCC setting. I can only guess at this point that the only way to know this might be that when you power on the controller it will beep once for the CE setting, and beep twice for the FCC setting. Be even better news for most if you got that distance in the CE setting.

But DJI only rates it to 6300 feet. You really went 1/4 mile _past_ that with no issues?

Seriously. Why are you even on this forum. You clearly hate DJI, and think the Phantom is useless. Shouldn't you just fly away to another forum for Yuneec or some other really great drone.
Missery loves company I guess. Maybe you're looking for others that also hate DJI, but just can't leave unless he finds more haters first. ?

+1 for this...well said...

There is plenty of proof on this site... Many people had gimbal & camera issues down the road and enough problems to make me not want to buy one or have to deal with DJI if I did.

Yes we have read about hundreds of crashes and issues.

You do realize that these actually go up in the sky and move about very rapidly at up to 35 mph.

Hundreds and hundreds of thousands have been sold and flown for years now.

hell yes you will see horror stories, hec yes they are going to crash.

I fly 2 P2's , one a plus and have crashed it multiple times(my bad) , I will be flying it shortly again today after work, they are tougher than you think.

what is really amazing is how great these really do work!

But DJI only rates it to 6300 feet. You really went 1/4 mile _past_ that with no issues?

DJI might rate that but that is not the maximum range.

Reactions: landmannnn
My take on these "reports" of problems is that anyone can say anything here. We haven't seen gimbals falling apart in mid air, but you are free to say that. I think that the "fly aways" are similar in that maybe 10% of them were true fly aways but many were just disorientation, etc. I know that mine seemed to be going crazy once until I finally realized that it was oriented 90 degrees from the direction I thought so all control inputs were making things worse.

I enjoy this forum, I have learned a lot here but I tend to disregard posts that seem to be extremely negative. This is a high tech product that FLIES. Do you really think that they could put a very much heavier gimbal on?

Car manufacturers are still recalling cars after they have been making cars for 80 years.

Boeing has made several versions of each of their planes. Did that mean that the first versions were bad and useless?

Remember, remote controlled quad copters didn't even exist not long ago. I love mine.

And how did you get your hands on that? I thought they were still weeks out?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.