Will a gimbal compatible with a F450 F550 X525 work?

Reaction score
I may have made a mistake. I ordered this gimbal from Amazon: Gopro Hero3 Brushless Camera Mount Gimbal Assembled RTF with Motor & Controller for DJI F450 F550 X525 for my Phantom. I'm a bit pissed because it is coming from China and won't get here until Dec 5.

Will it even work with my Phantom? I bought it for $138 and now the price on the same unit is $238.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZ2G8LY/ref=ox_ya_os_product

if you view that ebay page, you'll see the last picture is of one hanging off a Phantom.
so guess you'll be ok.
but that gimbal definitely looks like it hangs lower than most other gimbals, so careful not to scrape the bottom.

miskatonic thanks for the replies. So the mount and power will work, its just that the gimbal's size creates a need for longer landing gear.

I also have a vibration damping mount, so that may extend the size of the gimal even more.

There is an advantage to a lower hanging gimbal and that is that you will get away with higher pitch angles without seeing arms and props with a level camera position. There is also the advantage of possibly allowing higher tilt angles on the gimbal as the ones hanging lower will catch the mount as I just noticed mine does when pitched hard to the right. If it was only a few centimeters lower it would allow it to rotate almost 90 degrees quite easily.

The disadvantage is that you need to get taller landing gear, my gimbal came in 2 options with the shorter one for the phantom but I think the taller may be better if you can somehow extend the gear to clear the ground.

Right. With the standard setup and pointing the camera straight down or at more of a down angle I've already realized I need to extend it to eliminate seeing the landing skids in the images.

So Gentlemen I have a question regarding this gimbal as I wait for my extended landing gear setup to arrive.

I will attach the gimbal pitch control to the Naza unit. I don't see another cable. I'm assuming the unit needs power as well, or will it get its power from the pitch control cable?

Also the pitch control cable doesn't look to be long enough. Not sure, but I may need to extend it.

got a link for the snap on feet?
wondering how much added weight they add?

as for powering them gimbal, there should be a separate power cable for 3s/12v power.
the NAZA doesn't put out 12v power even if it were connected I don't believe.

power and pitch control can share the same negative ground cable tho. (usually)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl