Why so much mixed info on cell tower interference?

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just curious why there's so much mixed information on cell tower interference with it our quads. Are there cell towers that cause interference and some that don't? Is there a way to find out before one flies? Any time someone talks about flying close to one for inspection purposes for example there's always someone saying be careful and others saying they've never had issues. Thoughts?

Hey all,

Just curious why there's so much mixed information on cell tower interference with it our quads. Are there cell towers that cause interference and some that don't? Is there a way to find out before one flies? Any time someone talks about flying close to one for inspection purposes for example there's always someone saying be careful and others saying they've never had issues. Thoughts?
Probably more misinformation than mixed.
I've never heard of any cell tower causing problems for drone flyers.

Good question. I too have had worries flying near cell towers for the obvious reasons. But once inadvertently flew slap over a cell tower about 1 foot above the top during an initial waypoint autonomous mission. Scared the stuff out of me, but otherwise had no adverse events. Corrected that mission design.

Good question. I too have had worries flying near cell towers for the obvious reasons. But once inadvertently flew slap over a cell tower about 1 foot above the top during an initial waypoint autonomous mission. Scared the stuff out of me, but otherwise had no adverse events. Corrected that mission design.
I'm surprised the obstacle avoidance allowed the AC to get that close.

Reactions: jephoto
What about the G5 network? As its transmission energy is much stronger but on higher frequency. Would it have some impact on the drone frequency transmission?

Reactions: ron-ep
I've flown with OA turned off for over 3 years to avoid the false positives that happen with reflections/sun glare/etc. That fly over the cell tower was the closest near miss I've had. I either fly above MOCA, or I fly really close if among obstacles so I can stay out of trouble.

Cell towers are typically low risk due to the frequency emitted (700MHz, 850MHz, 1900MHz, 2100MHz, etc) . In my area, tower based internet is very popular due to the fact that about 1/3 of the population lives on acreages outside of town and the fibre network. These towers emit in the 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz spectrum, just like our drone/controller, so they pose significant risk of interference.

There are several kinds of cell transmitters, most towers also have few different antennas. Also, these towers rarely work at 100% capacity, typical load is more like 10%.

So the answer really is - it's complicated. Like most things. And as long as it's not illegal, it's up to you what you do with your drone.

Telling it's safe is dishonest - it's like if you cross the road without looking. Most of the time you will cross it successfully, but it doesn't mean this is safe.

If you're going to fly near cell antennas and want to increase the chances of not having problems:

1. Don't fly there in times of increased network usage. Ie. on new year, an hour around the zero hour.

2. If you see a white cylindrical device, do not fly in front of it - it's a long-range microwave transmitter which uses narrow beam but with large power. Large enough to actually fry your receiver, if the load is heavy enough.

Clearly my original statement stands true. Lol. Lots of mixed information/opinions. Looks like with anything it's about learning/experimenting/execution. I was hoping to practice flying close to towers to practice flying maneuvers up close for inspections. Looks more research is needed on my end. Thanks everyone.

There are several kinds of cell transmitters, most towers also have few different antennas. Also, these towers rarely work at 100% capacity, typical load is more like 10%.

So the answer really is - it's complicated. Like most things. And as long as it's not illegal, it's up to you what you do with your drone.

2. If you see a white cylindrical device, do not fly in front of it - it's a long-range microwave transmitter which uses narrow beam but with large power. Large enough to actually fry your receiver, if the load is heavy enough.
Can you show a photo of one of these?? thx

Still don’t know which part of that is the “white cylindrical device” you mean.
Do you mean this part?

Attachments

• 4716972E-0138-4806-9D91-3BD98E8F1452.jpeg
    4716972E-0138-4806-9D91-3BD98E8F1452.jpeg
    421 KB · Views: 58
Still don’t know which part of that is the “white cylindrical device” you mean.
Do you mean this part?
Yes ... those are directional microwave antennas, aimed at a similar antenna miles away on another tower.
The vertical antennas are for cell phone service.

So to resume. If you fly near the tower don't fly directly in front of that.

Yes ... those are directional microwave antennas, aimed at a similar antenna miles away on another tower.
The vertical antennas are for cell phone service.
Any idea what kind of distance you’d have to be from one of these without a problem?
50’? 100’? 400…?

Presumably if they’re designed to send a signal several miles away we could be flying through that beam of transmission a mile away and never realize it.
Living in Chicago area there must be hundreds of microwave towers. I am sure I’ve flown through their transmission range near and far hundreds of times.
Although most of them probably don’t have those concentrated long range devices on them.
Now I’m going to keep my eye out for them.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20