Why size doesn't matter

Reaction score
So now that I have your attention...

I've been flying around with my new P4 PRO for just a couple of days and its bigger battery and with all those extra sensors it "feels" like my actual fly time is reduced compared to it's brother the P4 ( which I crashed).

Now I have not done real tech tests but I wonder how I never factored in the extra juice the p4 pro would need thus decreasing my actual minutes available to fly.

I really like the new features but realistically - take gesture mode for example. By the time you set the controller to tripod, place the expensive controller down and finally get a picture just about 2 minutes are gone.

I may return this unless others say yes, get used to it or no, it does not eat up precious fly time.

Thanks!

Are you using the P4 battery or the Pro battery? Only the Pro battery will buy you more time and it is significantly noticeable if you have flown older Phantoms.

Reactions: jsposito
No, I used the pro battery, I have 2 of them. good question though but i wish that was the case

So now that I have your attention...

I've been flying around with my new P4 PRO for just a couple of days and its bigger battery and with all those extra sensors it "feels" like my actual fly time is reduced compared to it's brother the P4 ( which I crashed).

Now I have not done real tech tests but I wonder how I never factored in the extra juice the p4 pro would need thus decreasing my actual minutes available to fly.

I really like the new features but realistically - take gesture mode for example. By the time you set the controller to tripod, place the expensive controller down and finally get a picture just about 2 minutes are gone.

I may return this unless others say yes, get used to it or no, it does not eat up precious fly time.

Thanks!

Are you really saying that you have not actually measured the flight time that you are achieving, and that it just feels like less?

Are you really saying that you have not actually measured the flight time that you are achieving, and that it just feels like less?

: ) well yes, u see i have to vent. But, yes I will soon try to do accurate clock watching. But remember, I do not have my p4 anymore to compare, just lots time checking with my watch - I'm so used to that so I can just get a "huh", this ain't right.

I have a P4P+ and typically I get 22 - 26 minutes landing at 30%. More than enough time to get some good shots.
I have 3 batteries, so if need be, I could fly for an hour, just landing twice to refuel.
I'm not one of those pilots that fly out of LOS either. (Not saying you are.) I have no interest in antenna boosters or distance range increasers.
Look at your flight logs to see flight time.

I have a P4P+ and typically I get 22 - 26 minutes landing at 30%. More than enough time to get some good shots.
I have 3 batteries, so if need be, I could fly for an hour, just landing twice to refuel.
I'm not one of those pilots that fly out of LOS either. (Not saying you are.) I have no interest in antenna boosters or distance range increasers.

Thx, doing that tonight...

Forgot to ask you..what flight mode do you usually use and are you conservative on the throttle? I ask because that is good time.

Range boosters are also used for close in signal increases :)

Any mode. Doesn't seem to effect flight time with mine. I often fly pretty aggressively, Not soft on the stick.
Top notch was 48mph one day. Plenty fast enough for me.

Yes, I understand that they are helpful in areas of high interference. The thing that makes me laugh it the guys that are trying to get 4, 5 or more miles of range. Then a few weeks later they are posting about a flyaway, or gee, it fell outta the sky for no reason.
Here's what I don't get....
Boosting the RC, better antennas, windsurfers, etc. effect the RC only. They do nothing to increase the signal strength of what is transmitted from the bird. A bit one sided, in my opinion.

Well guess what happened I did a flight for distance which included p to sport, back to p etc., fast verticals, hovering the works. 24 minutes landed at 18%,

BUT, before these flights I had taken OFF the the landing gear extensions that used to be on my P4 . On the pro they were loose and would rattle, but not loose enough to fall off.

I would imagine the extensions created drag and vibration?

This is actually an improvement of 3 minutes for me.

oh, 10,100 feet one way.

Reactions: Tigerbait
Here's what I don't get....
Boosting the RC, better antennas, windsurfers, etc. effect the RC only. They do nothing to increase the signal strength of what is transmitted from the bird. A bit one sided, in my opinion.

That's true, but misleading. The transmission from the aircraft is unchanged, but putting directional antennas on the RC does improve both the uplink and the downlink because it increases the antenna gain for received signals.

Reactions: Capo and Pharm
There are so many variables to consider too. Wind, temperature, humidity, etc.
I flew one day the whole time in S mode to see what she'd do and still got 23 minutes. Surprisingly, after hauling a$$ for 23 minutes, motors were barely warm. Guess they are well cooled by the turbulent air. Now, the battery was another matter, it was pretty hot.

There are so many variables to consider too. Wind, temperature, humidity, etc.
I flew one day the whole time in S mode to see what she'd do and still got 23 minutes. Surprisingly, after hauling a$$ for 23 minutes, motors were barely warm. Guess they are well cooled by the turbulent air. Now, the battery was another matter, it was pretty hot.

You know since you mentioned temp...I am more comfortable flying in cooler weather and as a matter of fact today ( just around dusk) was unusually cool. I can't stand the bright sun - great for a tan but what a pia to see the screen. And a clear screen is sooo important. They say the galaxy and ipad air are the brightest but all i could afford was the mini 2.

I am going to switch to airplane mode next and see if that helps with performance.

I really like the new P4P features but realistically - take gesture mode for example. By the time you set the controller to tripod, place the expensive controller down and finally get a picture just about 2 minutes are gone.

Thanks!

Let me help you out. I'll trade you my trusty P4, it's practically new, about 15 flights because DJI sent me a new one (not a refurb) under warranty, nice of them. I'll even throw in $250 and give you my Inspire controller (more range than GL300C) as well as the GL300C controller. You can keep your new 5870mah batteries, and I'll keep mine. :D

Is this acceptable now? p4 pro 25000 total distance ( straight lines to and from, no OA and landed with 42% battery. I just want to to know if I am in the ball park.

Let me help you out. I'll trade you my trusty P4, it's practically new, about 15 flights because DJI sent me a new one (not a refurb) under warranty, nice of them. I'll even throw in $250 and give you my Inspire controller (more range than GL300C) as well as the GL300C controller. You can keep your new 5870mah batteries, and I'll keep mine. :D

LOL ! well that sounds like a generous trade....But I going to think about that as I am running my third new time and distance test.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers