Why isn't the FPV app with the goggles popular?

I have two VR goggle sets. I do like the clear screen experience specially when it is unaffected by bright sunlight. However I have stopped using it after 3 times.

It is tedius because here are the steps I do:
1. Put smartphone on RC Controller
2. Check settings
3. Take off
4. Put smartphone onto VR goggle
5. Fly (8 mins)
5.1 sometimes I take off the goggle because i don't feel safe or want to visually check that I am not flying over a hill or building and worry the signal will be blocked.
5.2 Fly back
6. Take off goggle
7. Put onto RC holder
8. Land

4,6 alone probably waste me 1.5mins of flight time. So I am too lazy these days.

I don't feel this is nearly that cumbersome. Sounds like you are adding extra steps. Why would you put goggles on after its in the air?
I just load everything up, put the goggles on and go flying. 3 steps! [emoji4]

I am using the app so not sure how to add links but check my posts on a modified Quanum and highly modified HooToo VR viewer that I added aspherical reading glass lenses to and a spacer to expand the focal length. I view ONE screen using the Go app or Litchi etc. I prefer this because there is no compromise in video quality since you are not splitting 720p in two. I find that Litchi killed the quality in Google mode. I have a giant FOV with my Samsung Note 5 or my old Galaxy S4. To view one screen you will need to lengthen the distance between the lenses and your phone by at least 2-3 inches or you will see double. You also need different lenses as the regular VR ones distort the view. I cannot adjust much on the go since my phone is in the tray but I don't need to. I also can take off and land totally by FPV now since it is so clear. You just need to rotate occasionally to know your surroundings.

P.S. I hate fresnel lenses. They make things blurry and distorted. My Quanum viewer also has reading glasses in it. What I have is basically a Headplay for just a few dollars. We already have the screen, video transmission, etc. We just need a headset to view it.

Did you just make this up. If there is a such NO GIGGLE law, how do you explain many fpv racing events that are going on now, many are held in FAA airfields and public stadiums. I went to many FPV racing events, without goggles, you can't fly the racer at 60 mph thru loops nor turn on a dime.

You are REQUIRED to have visual line of site on the aircraft at all times (FAA). - Not to actually be looking at it - but be able to see it at all times. How do you propose to be ABLE to see it at all times with your eyes covered by goggles? You are also required to avoid all manned aircraft, outside of events most drones fly by themselves, how do you plan on seeing other aircraft with your eyes covered?

Is GIGGLE a typo?

I just purchased FPV camera and also FPV Goggles. I then turned on the controller, then opened my Iphone wifi and connected with the Phantom, then turned on the drone. I Then opened FPV Camera and no matter what I tried, it would not connect. Just said "no signal". I then turned everything off, and started up again as normal with the DJI go app and everything connected fine. So I tried again with the FPV app and it still wouldn't connect. I then saw the app 'gear' and found "aircraft type" and it listed only the Inspire, the P3P and P3A, but not the Standard. Did I just buy these apps for a DJI model that isn't supported?

ps.. I just looked more closely at the app and it doesn't list the Standard.
I missed that when I saw the app in the app store.

Last edited:
You are REQUIRED to have visual line of site on the aircraft at all times (FAA). - Not to actually be looking at it - but be able to see it at all times. How do you propose to be ABLE to see it at all times with your eyes covered by goggles? You are also required to avoid all manned aircraft, outside of events most drones fly by themselves, how do you plan on seeing other aircraft with your eyes covered?

While this may be technically true, it would render all goggle use illegal. Including speed drones and all other applications. Goggles aren't going anywhere.

I just purchased FPV camera and also FPV Goggles. I then turned on the controller, then opened my Iphone wifi and connected with the Phantom, then turned on the drone. I Then opened FPV Camera and no matter what I tried, it would not connect. Just said "no signal". I then turned everything off, and started up again as normal with the DJI go app and everything connected fine. So I tried again with the FPV app and it still wouldn't connect. I then saw the app 'gear' and found "aircraft type" and it listed only the Inspire, the P3P and P3A, but not the Standard. Did I just buy these apps for a DJI model that isn't supported?

I don't believe the FPV Cam app works on standard

Fly 600 feet and say if you see it. Most are not paying attention to that nonsense. I for one am not. Getting ready to go on a 15k mission. So I know I will not be able to keep vlos. And I don't really care at this point. If I wanted to do that I would have gotten a weather balloon. Sorry. Just not personal. But ymmv. Not pushing my opinion on anyone. Just saying. Me personally. I'm flying fpv.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks Toph, I couldn't find where to ask if it's possible to get a refund, so I asked on the help button in the app. I expect to not get a response, or one that says they can't refund - but I asked anyway. :-/

Since I have an iPad mini, not an iPhone, I'm guessing I'm out of luck with this since the iPad won't fit into the goggles?

My preference is to take off and land with LOS. I often fly in more heavily forested areas, and even though I try to find a decent clearing I often have to maneuver around some trees before I get some clear airspace. I'm concerned it would be hard to see all the branches sticking out from just FPV especially if I get a little lateral movement from the wind. I think I'd want to LOS up to the clear airspace and then pull the goggles down for some FPV flying, which would actually be useful because LOS can get obscured by the trees. But this doesn't seem the way these are used, correct?

I think I'd also like access to the DJI Go app while flying FPV, such as making manual camera and video exposure adjustments. Or really so I can quickly pull the goggles back and have access to both LOS and the app easily. Also not something it looks like this is intended for, correct? Once the phone is in the goggles getting it back out for manual use would seem tricky.

Given my use cases above, what would be a better combination? Am I looking at HDMI goggles and the OSD mode of DJI Go? Any recommendations there? I'm willing to invest in a good setup, so not just looking at cost.

Thanks.

Last edited:
For sure fpv does not work with standard. As it does not use wifi to receive video. You have to have it plugged into the controller for it to get a signal.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

say i was just looking at the zeiss vr one for 100 bucks it has a button u can map to ur controller which switches from the fpv view to ur camera on ur phone
so u can see in front of u and u don't have to take them off then just switch back to vr looks to cool
cant find the app for android hmm

Last edited:
I think most ppl posting on this thread are somewhat missing the point of the FPV Camera app.
Flying FPV is what you're doing looking at your phone or tablet in the DJI GO app.
Where the FPV Camera app comes into it's own is in two main areas - two features that the DJI GO app doesnt offer.

One is the Goggles feature
The other is the ground-based mission planner.

I'm not too familiar with the goggles yet, but I have had the All in One FPV Camera subscription for a couple of months now, and I have exclusively been using the (ground based) Mission Planner feature. This is an excellent feature and I fully recommend it.
As I previously mentioned on an earlier thread, I have devised 30 something saved mission flights so far in a whole host of different locations, and I find this feature of the app great.
I would pay the £2.99 monthly fee for this feature alone in fact.
I hardly ever go into GO app anymore, because i'm always looking to fly new missions, or amend and improve missions I have already flown once or twice.
The 'fine-tuning' of mission flights is probably what I enjoy the most actually, slightly altering waypoint positions and altitude settings, adjusting speed settings, perhaps adding further waypoints etc. All with a view to flying the mission again and getting an even better flight video or still shots.

Recently though, I have been considering the incorporation of the Goggles feature offered within the app. What I was really hoping for was to be able to fly my missions with a goggles view.

The app developers have said (in an earlier post) that this is possible by loading up a saved mission, mission starts automatically, then switch over to the FPV Goggles. Apparently, you lose a few control features doing this, but should be able to view the mission flight through the Goggles. This will be cool if it works, and I should be trying this out this coming week, weather permitting.

But in conclusion, in my opinion the FPV Camera app is well worth purchasing for the ground based mission planner alone.
If the Goggles flying were not able to be integrated into mission flights, I personally wouldnt bother too much with the Goggles feature, as just flying freestyle with Goggles doesnt interest me massively like the mission planner flights do - but if the two features can be combined, that should be really cool.

Just my 2 pence worth here on the FPV Camera app [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: PVFlyer

ps.. I just looked more closely at the app and it doesn't list the Standard.
I missed that when I saw the app in the app store.
The upcoming new version 3.0 of FPV Camera (currently under beta testing) will support Phantom 4, Phantom 3 (Pro/Adv/Standard/4K), Inspire 1 (X3/X5/X5R), Matrice 100.

Reactions: PrecisionAeroworks
Just had another successful goggle flight using FPV Cam. So much fun!

The more you use it the less you worry about takeoffs, bringing it home, and the flight in general. Now I just focus on feeing like I'm in the cockpit and enjoying the flight. If the Go app offered goggle flight I would definitely give it a whirl. But I'm finding myself more and more going for the goggles. Tons of fun!

Reactions: Tony Cowan
Tony, I realize now it's my mistake. This thread is in the Pro/Advanced discussion group, and the App also doesn't mention the Standard. A good lesson for me: to look more carefully at the details in these groups, and also when purchasing apps!

Tony, I realize now it's my mistake. This thread is in the Pro/Advanced discussion group, and the App also doesn't mention the Standard. A good lesson for me: to look more carefully at the details in these groups, and also when purchasing apps!

Yes but hold on a short while mate, the app developer has just said an update 3.0 is on the way, that will incorporate your Standard.
FPV Camera is so cool, I would be holding on for that update, rather than cancelling out your subscription [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor