Why is the Mavic range so much less in Europe compared to US?

Why is the Mavic range so much less in Europe than the US? Are they different models?
No .. they are the same model.
You might have that backwards.
The Mavic Pro is US$999 & 1199 euro & 1099 GBP
But US$999 = 920 euro = 793 GBP

At least part of the extra in the European prices is VAT etc but it's common for different countries to have different prices for the same items.
Is an iPhone the same price everywhere?

In europe the transmitter is set to CE mode, versus FCC mode in US.

CE is lower power than FCC. On the P2 range you could toggle the TX to FCC manually, but in the newer TXs it is set by firmware based on GPS coords.

CE is lower power than FCC. On the P2 range you could toggle the TX to FCC manually, but in the newer TXs it is set by firmware based on GPS coords.

Thank you for your response. So if I was to buy from the US would I get the transmitter in FCC mode and would I then be able to get the maximum flight range?

At least part of the extra in the European prices is VAT etc but it's common for different countries to have different prices for the same items.

Thank you for your reply. Apologies i did not explain properly. It was not the difference in price I was referring to but the difference in the flight range. Why is the flight range of the bird in the US so much further than in Europe? If I bought the Mavic in the US rather than in Europe would i get the maximum range?

Thank you for your response. So if I was to buy from the US would I get the transmitter in FCC mode and would I then be able to get the maximum flight range?

Sorry I am being dim, If the range is set by GPS position than it looks like I will not get max range. If I buy in the UK and I fly in the US will that mean I will then get the long range?

Thank you for your reply. Apologies i did not explain properly. It was not the difference in price I was referring to but the difference in the flight range. Why is the flight range of the bird in the US so much further than in Europe? If I bought the Mavic in the US rather than in Europe would i get the maximum range?
There's a lot of confusion about this.
There are different regulations relating to transmitter power in the US and Europe.
The Mavic will use whatever is appropriate wherever you are.
Even in EU the Mavic will still go further than you need.
Check this thread for more: Will Mavic give your shorter range than Phantom?

Reactions: Mako79
I'm not sure about that. Here in the US, people complain about the reduced range of the Phantom 4 compared to the Phantom 3 because of its lower power-output. There are people posting here that find that reduced range to be limiting. There's even a sticky thread about it.

I'm not sure about that. Here in the US, people complain about the reduced range of the Phantom 4 because of its lower power-output. There are people posting here that that reduced rage limiting. There's even a sticky thread about it.
And there are other users getting great range similar to the Lightbridge P3s with their P4s

And there are other users getting great range similar to the Lightbridge P3s with their P4s
I guess my point is that, as a blanket statement, "going farther than you need" is kind of subjective and might not be universally applicable.

I guess my point is that, as a blanket statement, "going farther than you need" is kind of subjective and might not be universally applicable.
I was replying to a DJI newcomer concerned that a new Mavic won't go far because he's in Europe.
We saw this confusion back when the P3s were launched.
The range that DJI shows in their specs have been shown to be realistic with many users experiencing even greater distances in interference-free areas.
The Mavic specs say:
Max Transmission DistanceFCC Compliant: 4.3 mi (7 km);
CE Compliant: 2.5 mi (4 km) (Unobstructed, free of interference)
And those distances are more than most people need to fly.

There's a lot of confusion about this.
There are different regulations relating to transmitter power in the US and Europe.
The Mavic will use whatever is appropriate wherever you are.
Check this thread for more: Will Mavic give your shorter range than Phantom?

hey Meta

FCC – Federal Communications Commission (USA)
CE – Conformité Européenne (Europe)

What's Aus?? I tried googling and there is no solid clarification.
And if your box says MAVIC PRO (AU) - does it mean the range is based on your box or the GPS location??
It doesn't really concern me as i don't do distance. I'm just curious and for future reference.

Good question - it might be these folks?: Home | ACMA
They are definitely involved in a lot of the things that the FCC do.

I think i found the answer. I think its based on your controller.
I got the AU box so I assume Aus is FCC.
20170107_142433.jpg

I think i found the answer. I think its based on your controller.
I got the AU box so I assume Aus is FCC.
Oops ...I thought you meant who is the Aust equivalent of FCC.
I've googled to find out if we get FCC or EC and never got anything conclusive either.
You need to see what's under a European controller to confirm

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj