Why I am buying a Solo

Reaction score
I have been going back and forth, forum to forum, have read everything I could get my hands on about the P3 and the Solo. Although the jury is still out concerning the Solo (which still counts for a lot) several events that have taken place recently has swayed me to the 3DR camp.

#1. I don't have to recount all of the comments about DJI Customer Support. I wrote to them a month ago, have yet to receive an answer. On the other hand I have written 3 times to 3DR (Solo), twice on Memorial Day with questions and Im not even a customer,,,yet! All three times I received responses within several hours,,,including on Memorial Day! So, score a big + in the Customer Support column for 3DR. In addition they included several links on "under development" items which is impressive. Capability and Features?? For me still a +. Lastly, and probably most important, the GoPro camera. I have 2 H4's but that's not the point. I have a very close friend within GoPro. The new H5 will be out in October with a host of new and incredible features once again raising the bar. Un-mount the H4, mount the new H5 (3DR partnered with GoPro),,,AND,,,a whole new AV bird!! So, seems to me that in 4 months or so the P3 camera will be the old generation camera,,,then what??. Yeah, yeah,,,price difference but as any educated consumer knows that products like these are purchased based on quality, service, and price,,,in that order. Just my comments, not taking shots at P3 or any others.

I have been going back and forth, forum to forum, have read everything I could get my hands on about the P3 and the Solo. Although the jury is still out concerning the Solo (which still counts for a lot) several events that have taken place recently has swayed me to the 3DR camp.

#1. I don't have to recount all of the comments about DJI Customer Support. I wrote to them a month ago, have yet to receive an answer. On the other hand I have written 3 times to 3DR (Solo), twice on Memorial Day with questions and Im not even a customer,,,yet! All three times I received responses within several hours,,,including on Memorial Day! So, score a big + in the Customer Support column for 3DR. In addition they included several links on "under development" items which is impressive. Capability and Features?? For me still a +. Lastly, and probably most important, the GoPro camera. I have 2 H4's but that's not the point. I have a very close friend within GoPro. The new H5 will be out in October with a host of new and incredible features once again raising the bar. Un-mount the H4, mount the new H5 (3DR partnered with GoPro),,,AND,,,a whole new AV bird!! So, seems to me that in 4 months or so the P3 camera will be the old generation camera,,,then what??. Yeah, yeah,,,price difference but as any educated consumer knows that products like these are purchased based on quality, service, and price,,,in that order. Just my comments, not taking shots at P3 or any others.
Thanks for letting us know. o_O

Reactions: cjmwales
3DR have had their share of manufacturing problems and be prepared to spend a lot of time learning about and programming their product. The Solo might be a different kettle of fish, but I've spent some time with APM:Copter, and it is anything but plug and play. I would prefer to fly and shoot rather than read through forum posts in order to get my aircraft to behave.

I havent had any issues getting through to DJI support - but I went through the old fashioned way and just called them up.

3DR have had their share of manufacturing problems and be prepared to spend a lot of time learning about and programming their product. The Solo might be a different kettle of fish, but I've spent some time with APM:Copter, and it is anything but plug and play. I would prefer to fly and shoot rather than read through forum posts in order to get my aircraft to behave.

Exactly!

That's why the P3/Solo debate is senseless.

There's at least two types of operators here... those who agree with your last sentence and those who like the challenge of these open-source platforms.

Reactions: snowghost

You'll be back! :eek:

m36wf.jpg

R

Don't really get it, I have emailed dji 3 times, responded all 3 times within 24 hours or less. I called 3 times, answered phone all 3 times within 20 sec. I must be the luckiest person around, NOT

Guess it all depends on the how busy they are at the time you call and the personality of the person you are talking to. I had the opportunity to call them regarding a motor that I screwed up and got the, its not available yet-- ie "we don't have time" to research it -- "you will have to wait until we have motors available for the P3" and you will have to send it in to maintain the warranty, which did not exist because the motor failure was my fault. Not too much customer satisfaction here.

So, I researched and found out that I could replace the one bad motor with a Phantom 2 vision plus motor, which turns out to be exactly the same motor physically and electrically as the new Phantom 3 motors-- they apparently only changed the part number and advertised an upgraded motor for the Phantom 3.

It works great! -- but certainly no help from DJI in trying to find this information.

Hopefully, service is getting better now that the supply is catching up with the demand. They have a great product in this drone, but it was release before all the bugs were worked out and authorized dealers had any parts in stock.

Guess it all depends on the how busy they are at the time you call and the personality of the person you are talking to. I had the opportunity to call them regarding a motor that I screwed up and got the, its not available yet-- ie "we don't have time" to research it -- "you will have to wait until we have motors available for the P3" and you will have to send it in to maintain the warranty, which did not exist because the motor failure was my fault. Not too much customer satisfaction here.

So, I researched and found out that I could replace the one bad motor with a Phantom 2 vision plus motor, which turns out to be exactly the same motor physically and electrically as the new Phantom 3 motors-- they apparently only changed the part number and advertised an upgraded motor for the Phantom 3.

It works great! -- but certainly no help from DJI in trying to find this information.

Hopefully, service is getting better now that the supply is catching up with the demand. They have a great product in this drone, but it was release before all the bugs were worked out and authorized dealers had any parts in stock.
Thank you for reply, interesting on the motors, did not know that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31