Why have a drone that goes 7 k.

You used quotes.
And that subject quote differs from what you just posted.
Thus the amendment comment.
At best you were/are paraphrasing.
Sir, in light of the post below showing the new AMA guidelines, I have to say that you are correct, and it appears that hobbyist flying with FPV, and a spotter is now legal. I stand corrected and apologize to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
the FAA website is still showing even the requirement to register hobby drones, too. So, we can assume that they, (as usual) are behind the times.
I'm not sure. I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone follow the AMA's guidelines/rules/suggestions over a US law.

I'm not sure. I definitely wouldn't recommend anyone follow the AMA's guidelines/rules/suggestions over a US law.
I have to agree. The FAA is the governing body and prudence would dictate following their written words to the "T".

In the US it IS illegal to modify your FCC Part-15 type accepted equipment including passive devices like antennas.

The amplifiers are not Part-15 accepted and do require a license. There will likely be 'fine print' saying so for US sales but it is NOT up to the vendor/retailer to vet customers on FCC compliance.
Not sure about that. Depends on whether the type acceptance is based on the radiated power or the 'effective radiated power'. Adding reflectors doesn't change the antenna or the RP, just the erp in the direction aimed. And, of course, type acceptance has no bearing on adding reflectors on the receiving antenna

Not sure about that. Depends on whether the type acceptance is based on the radiated power or the 'effective radiated power'. Adding reflectors doesn't change the antenna or the RP, just the erp in the direction aimed. And, of course, type acceptance has no bearing on adding reflectors on the receiving antenna
I have to agree with you. Adding parabolic receiving antennas has not altered the FCC approved radio frequency or approved transmitting power. I believe that altering the output would run afoul of the FCC, though. The FCC rules are another whole can of worms that will probably come into play, as time goes on.

Did not address reflectors. Not sure they constitute a mod.
Radiators... yes

You're a good man and fine contributor here CTS.

Reactions: Crack The Sky
When in the U.S. you have to keep it in sight. You let it get out of sight and you are breaking the law. Maybe the amplifiers and special antennas should be illegal? Kinda soft spot, isn't it. Lol I understand it is good to have a strong signal to make sure you have control of you drone. Your thoughts?
Why...
for fun.

You're a good man and fine contributor here CTS.
Thank you. I'm just a no nonsense, follow the rules kinda guy. I guess a goal of mine is to make people aware that there are rules, and they need to learn them & do their best to follow them.

Reactions: SteveZeb
I won't get into the BVLOS flying issue associated with this.

P3S, wifi range, hopefully without interference would take me further away than I could comfortably see it in order to determine orientation (which is why it's ok to look at your screen hehe).

If able to, I'd rather have Lightbridge, not because it CAN go farther, but because within its flight envelope, it is less prone to interference, especially further out.

To me it's more of having a solid radio lock then range. Of course, range never hurt as long as it was LOS :)

Would I love to fly using Litchi and watching it go on its own? Sure? 4 mile range? Sure! But that's not the environment we're in right now. I won't deny that, and part of that is why I decided to begin with the P3S and it using wifi ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing