Why have a drone that goes 7 k.

Rather than repeat the example of a car with a speedometer that goes to 120-140MPH when the speed limit is something far less, I'll use the more practical solution of flying in an area that has less-than-perfect signal conditions. The scenario that comes first to mind is flying along a waterfront of a major urban area where there is a LOT of interference. Having a stronger signal means that you are less likely to lose signal long enough to trigger a RTH.

I've also lost GPS lock in such conditions and had to fly ATTI for awhile until lock was reestablished.

So I now have a pair of parabolic antenna signal extenders. I don't use them to extend my flying distance, but rather use them in those areas of high signal interference to keep better control of my craft.

Speck
Understood & perfectly legally acceptable use of "range extenders". They should be called "signal improvement devices". The "range extender" name is a marketing tool, used to make sales, to those who are comfortable breaking the law.

When in the U.S. you have to keep it in sight. You let it get out of sight and you are breaking the law. Maybe the amplifiers and special antennas should be illegal? Kinda soft spot, isn't it. Lol I understand it is good to have a strong signal to make sure you have control of you drone. Your thoughts?
Some drones (matrix 200) are made for other jobs like search and rescue, Powerline inspection, etc. These activities demand a reliable long range signal. Just because enthusiasts like us can't fly out of sight, doen't mean that a professional line inspector couldn't.

Does that make FPV goggles illegal. I would think so, at least in the US.

You can fly FPV in full compliance with all FAA hobby/recreation guidelines.

Given this, why would they be illegal?

Regulation says you have to keep the aircraft in site. How can you see it with FPV goggles on?

Spotter(s).

You can fly FPV in full compliance with all FAA hobby/recreation guidelines.

Given this, why would they be illegal?
I beg to differ, sir. The Rule is, "The aircraft is flown within Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) of the person operating the aircraft".
FPV on the "person operating the aircraft" is not legal. Period.

From the FAA.gov website, section: "Fly for fun":
Safety Guidelines
  • Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence
  • Be aware of airspace requirements
It seems you have amended bullet item #2 and I see no language similar to your last sentence above:
'FPV on the "person operating the aircraft" is not legal.'

It seems you have amended bullet item #2 and I see no language similar to your last sentence above:
'FPV on the "person operating the aircraft" is not legal.'
Public Law 112-95, Section 336 is the best source for this information. Here's what it says:

336.jpg

Ahh yes.
Ok. But still FPV goggles can be worn by non-operators during the flight so no reason to believe they are or should be illegal.

Ahh yes.
Ok. But still FPV goggles can be worn by non-operators during the flight so no reason to believe they are or should be illegal.
I do not amend anything. Here again is the rule:
What are the safety guidelines for sUAS recreational users?
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines, as developed by organizations such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).
  • Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
  • Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.

You used quotes.
And that subject quote differs from what you just posted.
Thus the amendment comment.
At best you were/are paraphrasing.

I saw that website and that those are recommended guidelines from the AMA. Faa.gov does not call for an observer. I've looked at several sites for rules and all are a little different. Most are probably personal interpretations. It can be confusing to which to believe. I would fall back on what the FAA says.

You used quotes.
And that subject quote differs from what you just posted.
Thus the amendment comment.
At best you were/are paraphrasing.
OK, we'll do it again. I quoted from the FAA site directly and only copied and pasted the one one line referencing the topic being discussed. The second posting was directly from the Know Before You Fly site, and again, I "paraphrased" to save you the time from having to read all of the rules that were beyond the scope of this conversation. Here for your viewing pleasure is the entire page.
What are the safety guidelines for sUAS recreational users?
  • Follow community-based safety guidelines, as developed by organizations such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA).
  • Fly no higher than 400 feet and remain below any surrounding obstacles when possible.
  • Keep your sUAS in eyesight at all times, and use an observer to assist if needed.
  • Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations, and you must see and avoid other aircraft and obstacles at all times.
  • Do not intentionally fly over unprotected persons or moving vehicles, and remain at least 25 feet away from individuals and vulnerable property.
  • Contact the airport and control tower before flying within five miles of an airport or heliport. (Read about best practices here)
  • Do not fly in adverse weather conditions such as in high winds or reduced visibility.
  • Do not fly under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Ensure the operating environment is safe and that the operator is competent and proficient in the operation of the sUAS.
  • Do not fly near or over sensitive infrastructure or property such as power stations, water treatment facilities, correctional facilities, heavily traveled roadways, government facilities, etc.
  • Check and follow all local laws and ordinances before flying over private property.
  • Do not conduct surveillance or photograph persons in areas where there is an expectation of privacy without the individual’s permission (see AMA’s privacy policy).
Users of commercial and recreational UAS should be aware that in remote, rural and agricultural areas, manned aircraft, including fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters, may be operating very close to ground level. Pilots conducting agricultural, firefighting, law enforcement, emergency medical, wildlife survey operations and a variety of other services all legally and routinely work in low-level airspace. Operators controlling UAS in these areas should maintain situational awareness, give way to, and remain a safe distance from these low-level, manned airplanes and helicopters.

The AMA's rules are interesting. In the same documents (this one for example), they say you must follow the FAA regulations and it's okay to use a spotter when flying with an FPV system. That seems like contradicting information.

I saw that website and that those are recommended guidelines from the AMA. Faa.gov does not call for an observer. I've looked at several sites for rules and all are a little different. Most are probably personal interpretations. It can be confusing to which to believe. I would fall back on what the FAA says.

The AMA's rules are interesting. In the same documents (this one for example), they say you must follow the FAA regulations and it's okay to use a spotter when flying with an FPV system. That seems like contradicting information.
Your link is very interesting, and I believe, brand new. We do have an anomaly here. Of course, the FAA website is still showing even the requirement to register hobby drones, too. So, we can assume that they, (as usual) are behind the times.
Since the FAA requires that a hobbyist follow "Community Based Guidelines", and the AMA is the "go to" community based organization, I would have to say, that I stand corrected and N017RW is correct in stating that a hobbyist may now fly FPV, with a spotter. I am humbled.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing