Why DJI may be shooting itself in the foot with the P4

Status
Not open for further replies.
It takes about 40 mins for a p3 battery to be fully charged. According to the review by a DJI staff, the larger p4 battery takes about 70mins to charge.
40 mins that's impressive. I only get 60 mins..... I mean 70 mins for an extra 5 mins, give or take, isnt bad. 5 mins is a lot in drone time, tech wise, without compromising on drag or the cool factor of your device. I think it might be a nitpick on the battery for Phantom 4....considering what's it's powering also.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Seeing as the P4 weighs 100 grams more, has more powerful motors, new sensors and cameras and a processor that draws extra power... All things considering, adding 5 minutes of flight time is even more impressive because it actually draws more power it seems.

From what I seen yesterday. The collisions avoidance will not detect power lines, tree branches with no leaves or wire fencing. That it needs a bright day to detect objects. I think DJI is given us great tech that out right now, but I think in a few years it will be a lot better. The collisions avoidance would of help the guy on the P3 A and P3P area. That hit the water tower getting a last shot of a sunset and it did a RTH and his RTH attitude was set to low. It will be nice to see how it all works after more people get them and test it.

With the official launch of the Phantom 4 drone on 1st March 2016, we finally have a drone with collision avoidance, subject tracking, dual-IMU and compass, and even a sports mode. Surely this would make many P3 owners sell their birds and snap up a P4.

View attachment 45648
However, I think that most P3 owners would actually just stay with their current drones.

The problem with the Phantom line is that when the P3 came out, it was miles ahead of the P2, its integrated lightbridge technology was amazing and its 4k camera gave wonderful clarity in video. Many owners wished that the next Phantom iteration would include retractable landing gears or 360 camera. That though, would mean that the phantom would slowly creep into the realm of the Inspire 1.

View attachment 45650

DJI cannot create a phantom product that will eventually become like what the Inspire 1 is, because that would obviously kill the sales of the Inspire. Unless DJI creates a revolutionary Inspire 2, or find some other ways to improve the Phantom line without affecting sales of the Inspire, we could see DJI becoming like Apple, releasing products year after year with minimal changes from the previous product.

Here is what I think of the P4's system and what you can do with a P3.

1. Collision avoidance: Do your homework and find out the height of your surroundings first, set an appropriate RTH height before flying and make sure you maintain proper LOS with your bird.
  2. Dual IMU and Compass: Having two IMUs and Compasses is good, but that does not mean that you P3 would suddenly fail because of it. The system in P3 works fine and that's that.
  3. Sports Mode: This is one physical advantage that the P3 doesnt have, but how many of us really need the sports mode? Surely not enough to want us all to sell our P3 and pick up a P4.
  4. Subject tracking: Sure this is amazing software technology, but how many of us will constantly use it? Most of us are recreational flyers and do not make movies for a living. So we won't be hard up for that software.
  5. Motors that sit higher: Hmmm ok. So just plan your shots first and adjust your gimbal on your p3 before you film anything then.
  6. 4K camera with new glass: The P3's camera is already amazing. With proper technique and flying and grading of video, I don't see how the new camera will be that revolutionary compared to the P3's.
  7. Larger battery: Sure, the P4 battery is huge and provides 28 mins of flight time. It comes at a cost however, it takes almost 70 mins to charge one battery. Unless there is a new way of fast charging the batteries whilst maintain long flight times, i doubt any of us would be happy to wait for an hour for a battery to charge.
View attachment 45649

What are your thoughts? Would you sell your P3 to get the P4?
Not for me. I can get the shots I need with my P3P. When they upgrade the camera to include a really good sensor, I'll upgrade.
But I always fly LOS and plan my shots carefully.

With the official launch of the Phantom 4 drone on 1st March 2016, we finally have a drone with collision avoidance, subject tracking, dual-IMU and compass, and even a sports mode. Surely this would make many P3 owners sell their birds and snap up a P4.

View attachment 45648
However, I think that most P3 owners would actually just stay with their current drones.

The problem with the Phantom line is that when the P3 came out, it was miles ahead of the P2, its integrated lightbridge technology was amazing and its 4k camera gave wonderful clarity in video. Many owners wished that the next Phantom iteration would include retractable landing gears or 360 camera. That though, would mean that the phantom would slowly creep into the realm of the Inspire 1.

View attachment 45650

DJI cannot create a phantom product that will eventually become like what the Inspire 1 is, because that would obviously kill the sales of the Inspire. Unless DJI creates a revolutionary Inspire 2, or find some other ways to improve the Phantom line without affecting sales of the Inspire, we could see DJI becoming like Apple, releasing products year after year with minimal changes from the previous product.

Here is what I think of the P4's system and what you can do with a P3.

1. Collision avoidance: Do your homework and find out the height of your surroundings first, set an appropriate RTH height before flying and make sure you maintain proper LOS with your bird.
  2. Dual IMU and Compass: Having two IMUs and Compasses is good, but that does not mean that you P3 would suddenly fail because of it. The system in P3 works fine and that's that.
  3. Sports Mode: This is one physical advantage that the P3 doesnt have, but how many of us really need the sports mode? Surely not enough to want us all to sell our P3 and pick up a P4.
  4. Subject tracking: Sure this is amazing software technology, but how many of us will constantly use it? Most of us are recreational flyers and do not make movies for a living. So we won't be hard up for that software.
  5. Motors that sit higher: Hmmm ok. So just plan your shots first and adjust your gimbal on your p3 before you film anything then.
  6. 4K camera with new glass: The P3's camera is already amazing. With proper technique and flying and grading of video, I don't see how the new camera will be that revolutionary compared to the P3's.
  7. Larger battery: Sure, the P4 battery is huge and provides 28 mins of flight time. It comes at a cost however, it takes almost 70 mins to charge one battery. Unless there is a new way of fast charging the batteries whilst maintain long flight times, i doubt any of us would be happy to wait for an hour for a battery to charge.
View attachment 45649

What are your thoughts? Would you sell your P3 to get the P4?

I think you are glossing over the biggest advancement of the P4- collision avoidance. This is a game changer.
Sorry, easy to say plan everything ahead of time, ect. Sh** happens. And the advanced RTH will avoid obstacles. With the extended range of these birds, easy to miscalculate even with LOS. I feel it's worth the price of admission. And yes selling my P3- in classifieds now.

Personally, I think DJI did a slam dunk with the P4. It is ahead of any current or near future competitors in terms of features and cost. If I don't have the P3A, I would pre-order the P4 today (and face the wife consequences later). In fact, starting yesterday, I am putting away a few dollars a day to get the P4... in 10 months.

Personally I think the P4 is nice but not enough to sale my P3P. What I am excited about is seeing what they do with the next Inspire.

The thread starts with the assumption that DJI wants to get all P3 pilots to upgrade to a P4. That's not the case. If DJI sells a million P3's in 2016 and 150K P4's, I think they will be very happy. When you start out with an improper assumption, the conclusion is also going to be wrong.
The P4 is an evolution for the person with a fatter or looser wallet. There are a LOT of such people around and sales at the Apple Store are one big example. I brought a friend of mine (fairly poor) into that store to buy a notebook for $1200. If I weren't with her she would have went up to $1800 with applecare, a larger notebook, paid classes and more.
People just love forking out money - that's why you see so many 50K+ cars on the road. I was in the airport yesterday and one of the car displays in the lobby had a red caddy - it looked cheap. I thought it was an example rental car. The sticker said 57K. Someone must be buying these things but if you gave me the choice between that and a VW Passat at the same price I'd take the VW.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
For me, the change I would need to upgrade to a new one would be either zoom or waterproof.

I think if the 4 fixes the issues that cause the most common types of crashes that it's going to be a game changer. The problem is the price of the 4. I'm sure most of its sales will be new pilots and not those upgrading.

Hi guys!!! To be honest I think its just a matter of money. Currently I got a P3A but if I had the money definitely I would buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20