Why DJI may be shooting itself in the foot with the P4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already sold my P3 and just ordered the P4. Very excited about the new technologies. I look at the new possibilities, not why you would not upgrade.
How much did you get for it? Your p3

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have to mostly agree with your assessment of the P4. It has compelling features for noobs and people who don't want to put in the time and practice to be good pilots. Active Tracking is gimmicky at best and only has limited use for certain videographers. For those of us who put in many hours of flying the P3 and becoming good at it, I don't see much need for collision avoidance and Tap-To-Fly.

28-min. flight time is really cool but this can already be done on the P3 with the aftermarket dual-battery kits.

Lightbridge at 1080p would have been a KILLER feature and make the P4 the absolute best drone on the market for FPV flying, which is becoming insanely popular every year since many goggles are becoming full HD resolution.

I also think a 10X optical zoom would be very useful for just about everyone. They can put 10X zoom on a $50 digital camera but they can't put it on a $700 Phantom camera? Sheesh! :oops:

What are your thoughts...Would you sell your P3 to get the P4?
Well I recently sold my FC40 with a gimbal for $300 and I currently have no drone, but I am saving up to get a P4 in may, so sure, ill get one!
I only need around 25-30 mins of flight time, and realistically the battery only lasts 25 mins, but I think it is worth it because while I am a recreational flyer, I like to bike on clear roads and use my boat so tracking would be nice because most ipads don't have cellular data so I cant do GPS follow me...
the $999 price tag on the P3 is tempting but I may as well go for the P4 if I have the money (which I probably wont but I may as well hope)
I would rather spend a bit more time and get a better product, even if the difference is minimal, because I'm just that kind of person :rolleyes:

Reactions: CaptainDrone798
Good points/observations... Thanks! I'm sticking with my P3P. I think it is amazing and is perfect for what I do. The P4 just seems like more bells and dog-whistles that I don't really need.

If they are trying to reach the noob-market I would think that this last Christmas would have been telling. Lots of sales, but where are those drones now? Despite the uniqueness of the product, I think very few people, relatively speaking, will use it regularly. I think they should be considering the uses/insights/opinions of those of us who fly a Phantom on a weekly, if not, daily basis.

Under the same breath of asking "why did they bother releasing the Phantom 3 4K" - I'm wondering whether DJI did their P4 release with a few good additions and not a complete overhaul to try to beat competitors to the punch? I.e. Typhoon H.

Don't get me wrong - I like the anti collision and tap track. I've even got my purchase in for 3/15 - but I can't help wondering if I should wait for a "Pro" edition...

Just for background - I have a P3P and enjoy flying it "stick and rudder" - but sometimes I'd like to get ME in the shot with my kids or something like that, without having to worry about it crashing itself into a tree or something during an orbit

Reactions: Squirrel!
This will not save you then. When orbiting, the sensors will be facing you, while the craft is orbiting to one side. If the tree is in the trajectory of the orbit, the sensors will not stop the Phantom from hitting it, simply because they're facing the wrong way.

What are your thoughts? Would you sell your P3 to get the P4?

It's tempting, especially since my P3P is still within it's return period until March 12th and I'd be able to return it to the tune of what I paid for it, around full price at ~$1259. Unfortunately though I have a trip to Arizona planned March 15th and had planned on taking my Phantom with me. I'd be out a drone on that trip if I decided to go with the P4... Thinking I'm going to have to consider my P3P as good enough and granted the camera isn't much different on the P4, so not like I'm missing out on a lot there, but the other features are kind of nice... Stupid vacation. :/

This will not save you then. When orbiting, the sensors will be facing you, while the craft is orbiting to one side. If the tree is in the trajectory of the orbit, the sensors will not stop the Phantom from hitting it, simply because they're facing the wrong way.

Bum deal if true. (Which I'm thinking it is)

My Roomba has something they called "vSLAM® technology to create visual landmarks in its map so it doesn’t lose track of where it is or where its been" - Was hoping that the P4 could "remember" what it maps 50ft in front of it/60deg in front/30deg bellow and be able to do its "smart" orbit. If my vacuum can do that - why can't the P4?! Haha!

To be honest - I am kind of hoping that a new "pro" version (when they get to it) could implement 360deg of vision more so than a 360deg camera. I would be all over that in a heartbeat! (Pay $2k for a smarter version... or train my wife on how to fly the P3P.... :rolleyes:)

It's tempting, especially since my P3P is still within it's return period until March 12th and I'd be able to return it to the tune of what I paid for it, around full price at ~$1259. Unfortunately though I have a trip to Arizona planned March 15th and had planned on taking my Phantom with me. I'd be out a drone on that trip if I decided to go with the P4... Thinking I'm going to have to consider my P3P as good enough and granted the camera isn't much different on the P4, so not like I'm missing out on a lot there, but the other features are kind of nice... Stupid vacation. :/
Why don't you return it and get a refund and borrow a drone. I'm sure you have some sort of RC or drone group?

I'm not liking the whole thing about 400ft max height limit for the p4.

Reactions: rigor

You could do the "14-day Best Buy rental option" LOL --- I've been using that for the past 25 years on all kinds of electronics for my vacation needs.

That way, you could still have a P3P to film your AZ trip but get a full refund on it when you get back --- then use those funds to buy a P4.
;)

You could do the "14-day Best Buy rental option" LOL --- I've been using that for the past 25 years on all kinds of electronics for my vacation needs.

That way, you could still have a P3P to film your AZ trip but get a full refund on it when you get back --- then use those funds to buy a P4.
;)

LOL. That is actually rather tempting.

On this forum we see so many people who say "I don't plan on upgrading" that is the exact reason for the p4. The hobbyist portion of the market is, not saturated, but, we have our phantoms already. It's the features like this that expand their target audience to include "the enthusiast". I believe that that is their end goal, to make flying(buying) a phantom something anyone can do. That's where the money is.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: AKPhantom
Where did you buy it? Many places will give you the difference of the price drop if you are within the return period to prevent you from returning the bird.
Dealers were blind sided by the price drop. The Monday the price dropped they got an email early in the morning.
Should get you another $200 off. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1