Why did you chose the P2V over the P2?

Reaction score
I find myself on the fence again, even though I just got my P2V last week. I'm having wifi connections issues and will be doing an exchange. Now I'm considering exchanging for a non-vision P2 with the gimbal and purchasing a GoPro in a few months. I like the clean look and all the data I get on my iPhone with the Vision. Worried that if I decide on the P2 I'll have a bunch of wires everywhere to get the same function. I'm not a photographer and bought the thing for fun. I like the fact the I can use the GoPro fir other things, but like how the Vision is ready as is. I need to try to figure this out before sending my Vision back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not much of a modder/tinkerer so I wanted an all-in-one package - that comes with compromises, of course, but the fact I got FPV, telemetry and fully remote camera operation was a big plus. Not into long-range stuff, so that wasn't an issue for me. Don't own a GoPro, and wouldn't have any other use for one. The P2 wasn't released when I bought the Vision and I was comparing that with having to mod up a V1.

I am now thinking about a gimbal, though - and the Rotorpixel one looks like it might be in my price range. By the time you trick out a P2 to include FPV and telemetry plus buy a GoPro then the price starts to climb. You get a gimbal with the P2 package, but you can't remote control the GoPro throughout the flight in the same way or with the same range as you can the Vision camera...

Maybe wait until you see some footage from the Vision camera attached to the almost-shipped dronexpert.nl gimbal and then compare to some P2+gimbal+GoPro footage?

I'm not a tinkerer either.

The elegance and simplicity of the "all-in-one" solution of the Vision is compelling. The video and stills from the FC200 is plenty good enough for my purposes.

Besides costs and complexity, setup of a P2 with gimble, fpv, and go pro will be heavier and less aerodynamic resulting in poorer flight performance and shorter flight times. How much so maybe others can chime in. I consistantly get 20-25 minutes out of my stock Vision.

So what are your priorities, and what do you want to do with your quad? If you are hard-core photography, it may be worth it for you to set up a P2. If you are more interested in flight, and have modest photographic needs, then get a Vision.

I've been tinkering with RC quads since there've been RC quads. Most of my experience has been with tiny, low cost, nearly controllable cheap items. I've been watching this venue very closely, though. I was right on the verge of buying the AR Drone Parrot. Before I pulled the trigger, I spent weeks looking around at alternatives.

The one alternative that grabbed my full interest was the DJI Phantom. I was spending a lot of time calculating how much it would cost to outfit it with a gimbal, GoPro Hero three black, FPV system, etc... Towards the end of my decision process, DJI announced the "Vision". It seemed perfect for me.

I pulled in my oars and watched and waited...

So... I became a very early adopter and, luckily, haven't felt much of the pain that others have felt. My P2V has been, for the most part, rock steady. Most of the issues I've had with it have been cockpit error related.

-slinger

BigPig said:
I find myself on the fence again, even though I just got my P2V last week. I'm having wifi connections issues and will be doing an exchange. Now I'm considering exchanging for a non-vision P2 with the gimbal and purchasing a GoPro in a few months. I like the clean look and all the data I get on my iPhone with the Vision. Worried that if I decide on the P2 I'll have a bunch of wires everywhere to get the same function. I'm not a photographer and bought the thing for fun. I like the fact the I can use the GoPro fir other things, but like how the Vision is ready as is. I need to try to figure this out before sending my Vision back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I personally chose the P2V over the P2 because of built in FPV, ability to take photos while flying, ability to adjust camera settings while flying, ability to adjust tilt while flying, ability to transfer those images and videos while still flying, and the fact that I don't own a GoPro. Honestly even if I did own a GoPro I still would have bought the P2V.

BigPig said:

I personally chose the P2V over the P2 because of built in FPV, ability to take photos while flying, ability to adjust camera settings while flying, ability to adjust tilt while flying, ability to transfer those images and videos while still flying, and the fact that I don't own a GoPro. Honestly even if I did own a GoPro I still would have bought the P2V.

These were just the kinds of responses that I was looking for! I didn't consider the weight. Also, I guess I don't mind tinkering a little bit but don't really have a lot of time to get into it too deep. I'm not really into photography at all, but thought it would be neat for vacations bad the like.

If I had to do it again I would go with the Non Vision definitely.
The Vision is very cool for what it is but .....
I bought the Vision while searching for the full goggle, gimble and whole nine yards I have been wanting. I was ready to buy all of this for my first Phantom.
Well while searching I came across a video of someone reviewing the Vision and I was like.....hell, that is everything I want, and with the long flight time compared to my first Phantom.
The first day I tried it out I kind of new I made a rash decision. I am a very impulsive buyer.
I was not at all happy with the camera and it is a waste of money to change it over. I still cant use my new Futaba radio either.

If the camera was good and the distance was better I would be tickled pink, keep the vision and spend more on one of these gimbals they are making for the Vision. But as it is, I really do not like this camera and I am not cradling a sub par camera in an expensive Gimbal and still ending up with a sub par video in the end. It is Ok but not good enough.
For a knock around it has its place.

Edit- Sorry, I just saw where you said the other responses were what you were looking for. ****, I always feel left out. No wonder nobody ever plays with me. :cry:

Bought the P2V because of the ability to watch and shoot as you fly - and it is everything I hoped.

I have no previous RC experience, so if I didn't go for the P2V and:
a) Wasn't able to see what I was shooting
b) Was flying poorly for a length of time
I suspect I would not enjoy the experience much at all.

Being a longtime Photoshop user and able to apply the
Adobe lens filter to images makes a big, big difference
to my satisfaction with the photo results.

And with video I'm going to start experimenting with Premiere
and whatever stabilization and other filters can be applied
to footage.

Will most likely look at a gimbal in the next few months too,
since the test footage I've seen shows a marked improvement
on the out-of-the-box results.

Overall though, if you get a good P2V that works as advertised upon delivery,
then I'd say you would be very happy... just like me.

There are many reasons I decided to go with the Vision. Pretty much what everyone has said, all in one package, telemetry, picture taking (full inflight camera control), ...

Another way I looked at it (and in my opinion), there are only three reasons to go with the P2 (non vision)
1) Futaba, Spektrum or other (favorite / familiar) controller. For what it is, the Vision controller is good enough, but if you have years of experience with a controller, you will probably miss it (or feel like you are cheating on it ;-) )
2) If you have your own camera (gopro, Sony, ...), you are use to it and like it. The Vision camera is a decent camera, but You might end up always picking it apart, comparing it to what you are use to and like.
3) Finally, but without a doubt (in my mind) the most important reason: Gimbal! Yes there are some (Dutch, roto, DIY, ...) that are coming available, but none will be as good as comparably priced gimbal for the P2.

Nvr2fst said:
If I had to do it again I would go with the Non Vision definitely.
The Vision is very cool for what it is but .....
I bought the Vision while searching for the full goggle, gimble and whole nine yards I have been wanting. I was ready to buy all of this for my first Phantom.
Well while searching I came across a video of someone reviewing the Vision and I was like.....hell, that is everything I want, and with the long flight time compared to my first Phantom.
The first day I tried it out I kind of new I made a rash decision. I am a very impulsive buyer.
I was not at all happy with the camera and it is a waste of money to change it over. I still cant use my new Futaba radio either.

If the camera was good and the distance was better I would be tickled pink, keep the vision and spend more on one of these gimbals they are making for the Vision. But as it is, I really do not like this camera and I am not cradling a sub par camera in an expensive Gimbal and still ending up with a sub par video in the end. It is Ok but not good enough.
For a knock around it has its place.

Edit- Sorry, I just saw where you said the other responses were what you were looking for. ****, I always feel left out. No wonder nobody ever plays with me. :cry:

You know, I'm starting to get your sense of humor. I seriously cracked up when I read your edit. So, can you elaborate on "if the camera was good and the distance was better"? And thanks for the laugh.

Quote- You know, I'm starting to get your sense of humor. I seriously cracked up when I read your edit. So, can you elaborate on "if the camera was good and the distance was better"? And thanks for the laugh.

Yeah it is raw sometimes. The way I am on here, not holding back, is the way me and my buddies talk to each other all the time, 10 fold. It gets bad but we have fun with it.

As far as the camera goes it works as it is supposed to except for the RAW at this point and I have a light blur on the lower left side. You know the one. I bought directly from Amazon so I guess I don't get help with issues like this. I could have just returned it directly when I got it but no replacement of the camera because Amazon is not an authorized seller I guess. The soft focus is a wide issue with these so exchange would have dealt me with just another one.

The bigger deal with the camera is its resolution and low FPS. This makes the video look really bad when turning the Phantom if you don't go REALLY slow it just destroys the video. The overall quality of the pictures and video is definately lower than my other cameras. I really didn't want to go back instead of forward. I just like really clean video.

As far as distance, simply put, the radio and video feed is not far enough for me. I could get much more with a standalone setup.

I like the Vision. It is a great all in one package to run out the door with but I personally want a bit more.

themosttoys said:
There are many reasons I decided to go with the Vision. Pretty much what everyone has said, all in one package, telemetry, picture taking (full inflight camera control), ...

Another way I looked at it (and in my opinion), there are only three reasons to go with the P2 (non vision)
1) Futaba, Spektrum or other (favorite / familiar) controller. For what it is, the Vision controller is good enough, but if you have years of experience with a controller, you will probably miss it (or feel like you are cheating on it ;-) )
2) If you have your own camera (gopro, Sony, ...), you are use to it and like it. The Vision camera is a decent camera, but You might end up always picking it apart, comparing it to what you are use to and like.
3) Finally, but without a doubt (in my mind) the most important reason: Gimbal! Yes there are some (Dutch, roto, DIY, ...) that are coming available, but none will be as good as comparably priced gimbal for the P2.

Well put. Most people are just used to their GoPro or other camera and they like to pick apart the Vision camera when in reality it's honestly a decent camera. Worst thing about it is no 2 axis gimbal which can be fixed and the fisheye which again can be fixed easily in post.

themosttoys said:

Well put. Most people are just used to their GoPro or other camera and they like to pick apart the Vision camera when in reality it's honestly a decent camera. Worst thing about it is no 2 axis gimbal which can be fixed and the fisheye which again can be fixed easily in post.

@Scottrod: Which model do you have? I bought the Phantom for flying more than photography. The camera just added some extra cool functionality. Having said that, now that I've had a camera I don't want to not have one for long. I went with the P2 NV I I'm not the type that would go the cheaper middle of the road route for the setup, but I don't want complicated. Right now I've got $1300 in the bird. I don't think, reading from other posts, that I could get the same functionality in the PV NV.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel