Why did you choose the Mavic over P4? And Why did do you dont sell the p4 for the mavic ?

Reaction score
Why did you choose the Mavic over P4? And Why do you dont sell the p4 for the mavic ? Answer here !

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Owning a Mavic could very well be a good choice for someone's first drone, but it doesn't add anything beyond the P4's capbilities that I need. And I wouldn't want to be the first in line for a brand new model, brand new form-factor, brand new electronics, brand new camera/gimbal...I'd think that it would be MUCH smarter to let the early adopters shake out all the bugs first.

From following the Mavic forums, it appears that there are issues with shipping, availability, and possible problems with reliability. Jumping into that mess seems to be unwise, especially since I already have a drone that does everything that the Mavic does.

love my P4 platform and all its features, wouldn't consider selling it for a mavic. the Mavic has things that turn me off from the word go, it's just not for me ...it will serve it's purpose for some , just not me

Would you mind stating your list of turn offs? Just curious.
slower top speed than my p4, downgrade my speed I think not , the folding arms I see as becoming an issue over time with the factors of wind stress on them with max speed with any wind and wearing things out, backend sits almost on the ground which I think wouldn't serve one good if had to make an emergency landing if not on flat level ground with regards to camera possibly coming in contact because its closer to the ground, tiny controller that only accepts a smartphone, I know there is the mount to use a ipad but from those pics not a lot of room to get to the control sticks, hands rubbing , not good, have seen the footage from then out there and not impressed at all from the images as don't appear as good as a P4 camera ...interesting as aren't they suppose the shoot the same? I do like the occusync which will let one go further, to me the mavic will have it's own new place in the drone world and the Phantom series will thrive off of it

Why did you choose the Mavic over P4? And Why do you dont sell the p4 for the mavic ? Answer here !

What did you do in your case?

I wanted to buy Mavic just to help others but have no spare money. :)

I will not sell what I m enjoying now.

Reactions: John1960 and gppms
slower top speed than my p4, downgrade my speed I think not , the folding arms I see as becoming an issue over time with the factors of wind stress on them with max speed with any wind and wearing things out, backend sits almost on the ground which I think wouldn't serve one good if had to make an emergency landing if not on flat level ground with regards to camera possibly coming in contact because its closer to the ground, tiny controller that only accepts a smartphone, I know there is the mount to use a ipad but from those pics not a lot of room to get to the control sticks, hands rubbing , not good, have seen the footage from then out there and not impressed at all from the images as don't appear as good as a P4 camera ...interesting as aren't they suppose the shoot the same? I do like the occusync which will let one go further, to me the mavic will have it's own new place in the drone world and the Phantom series will thrive off of it

Thank you all for your amazing responses!:) Probably going for the P4Pro or P4;) The size isn't a very big problem for me :)

Reactions: John1960
Have a P4, keeping it and buying the Mavic. Keeping the P4 as the camera offers a wider view which can be very important. Appears to be a bit more stable and is more proven than the Mavic. Buying the Mavic as it's _far_ more portable then the P4.

Both have their place.

Reactions: Providian623
There is a P4Pro?

Well DJI haven't told us anything, but we know it's coming . Probably around 15th November. Why do we think so ?
Because they have it accepted by the FCC. Just look for the Thread "The P4PRO is comming". It's in the trending section .

Good points, some debatable. I will volunteer some comments about your observations.

1.slower top speed than my p4, downgrade my speed I think not
I'm pretty sure they are the same speed, a little over 40mph. I'm not going to squabble over 1 or 2mph difference, if this exists. However, with P4 you CANNOT use the camera at these high speeds because of the extreme angle of attack the craft needs to achieve top speed. Due to the prop location versus the location of the camera, you always get props in the video, very annoying. Did you know the P4 camera is 9mm closer to the props versus P3? The P4 camera is in a bad position and sees the props sooner than P3, fact. The Mavic camera position is farther forward, not as bad of a problem. It doesn't see the props as soon because it's positioned farther out front than the P4. You can still capture props in the camera view of the Mavic, don't get me wrong, it's just less of a problem than the P4 when going 40+mph. It's likely the lighter Mavic craft without the large landing gear (horizontal wind drag) of the P4 allows the Mavic to do 40+mph with LESS angle of attack, hence less props in the camera view. Just a theory, no hard data yet.

2. the folding arms I see as becoming an issue over time with the factors of wind stress on them with max speed with any wind and wearing things out
You may be right, but only time will tell. It will depend a lot on the quality of the arm pivot design, and admittedly DJI doesn't have a good reputation when it comes to designing with plastic. Hopefully DJI has learned something and increased their plastics design rules for integrity.

3. backend sits almost on the ground which I think wouldn't serve one good if had to make an emergency landing if not on flat level ground with regards to camera possibly coming in contact because its closer to the ground
Yes, the props and camera are definitely closer to the ground, however in 18mos of flying P3s and P4s I've never had to land in the rough yet, so I'm not that concerned about this "what if". Maybe I'm lucky I haven't had an emergency landing to warrant concern. I think I would worry more about the P4 tipping on takeoff and landing, given it's tippy-ness in wind. If you're not careful the craft can easily be blown over upon motor start up with a gust of wind at the same time, gotta be really careful. The Mavic won't exhibit this tippy-ness because it's got a wider landing gear stance, lower to the ground. Yes, it is possible that you might need to land in the rough, but chances are slim unless a mistake is made by the pilot. Added protection from mistakes or h/w failure is always a good thing, so I understand your concern.

4. tiny controller that only accepts a smartphone
The clips actually accept an iPad mini without a case. It appears to be a tight fit, but it works. There's a thread about that in the Mavic forum. I've seen other methods of using an iPad mini, and I'm sure there will be many other solutions to use tablets. I'm not that concerned about it, but I'm with you, I'll never fly with a phone sized screen, it's not large enough. DJI missed the mark on that, in their effort to keep things small. Big mistake IMO too.

5. have seen the footage from then out there and not impressed at all from the images as don't appear as good as a P4 camera
Yes, this is debatable about quality. The FOV is an issue with me, I personally like the 94 degree FOV. The 78 degree FOV is zoomed in a bit, it doesn't provide as much perspective when flying, however the photos or video will be closer in the results. It appears some Mavics optics aren't as good as others, which is debatable. I personally don't like having to worry about focusing the camera as I move through tight quarters. I assume this small lens (physcial size) to make the gimbal/camera super small is what makes this an issue. The smaller things are, the harder it is to maintain consistent assembly quality. This shouldn't be an issue, but apparently DJI can't maintain a consistent quality of the lens assemblies. Some of the Mavic footage I've see is quite good, others are not. I'm assuming this has to do with the cameraman's experience, but it appears the Mavic is capable, but might be slightly more involved to get quality video/photos. This is purely subjective, and debatable.

I haven't got a Mavic yet, so I'm going by what I've read to date. Very curious. I will likely be buying a Mavic in Q1, after the bugs are resolved. I travel a lot, so the small size is a big advantage. I've flown just about everywhere allowed in So. Calif, so most of my focus is now flying areas beyond So. Calif. The Mavic should make that a lot easier. The smaller and lighter backpack is a welcomed feature of this new craft. It's pretty fun mountain biking into the wilderness with a drone, and Mavic will be helpful with those adventures.

Reactions: Bckmstr

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic