Why are people buying/selling poor condition batteries??

Reaction score
I keep seeing used, poor condition batteries for sale and by poor condition I don't mean physically. Apparently just internally. What exactly is being done to these "poor condition" batteries when purchased? Is there anything that can be done to bring them back? Or is the housing just being used by resellers? Wondering if there's any value in buying one and making it useful again?

Thanks!

Reactions: Thanohano44
I keep seeing used, poor condition batteries for sale and by poor condition I don't mean physically. Apparently just internally. What exactly is being done to these "poor condition" batteries when purchased? Is there anything that can be done to bring them back? Or is the housing just being used by resellers? Wondering if there's any value in buying one and making it useful again?

Thanks!
Where are you seeing this ?

Well if it was a case of maybe low usage and had been stored for
awhile and maybe just asleep? And wanted to take a chance on
waking it up and was cheap enough I wouldn’t touch one. Other
than a modder wanting the case-electronics I don’t know.

Maybe there's gold in there I not seen ha,,I just presume they after battery covers,or dji might have secret top $$$ scheme on recycled batteries,

I keep seeing used, poor condition batteries for sale and by poor condition I don't mean physically. Apparently just internally.
Firstly, condition of cells within battery is also physical condition. Unless you consider chemistry not being physical, which would be.. unconventional ideology.

What you can do with damaged battery:

1. You can use the battery for something less demanding that high power motors - ie. power bank.

3. You can get discrete components form the PCB, for parts.

4. Often only 1 or 2 cells are damaged. From 2 batteries, you can create one working one, if you're careful enough to not trigger failure mode in battery gauge controller.

5. You can connect the PCB to PC and start brute-forcing the lock key of the battery gauge controller chip. That is the chip which disables the battery if it thinks it's unusable/unsafe. The key is same for every Ph3 battery (and yes, I know some people did that and they do have the key).

6. If you have battery gauge controller chip key, you can replace the cells, reset the control board, and the battery will work as new (this is what we call refurbishing). Cells are priced circa 1/4 of DJI prices.

Firstly, condition of cells within battery is also physical condition. Unless you consider chemistry not being physical, which would be.. unconventional ideology.

What you can do with damaged battery:

1. You can use the battery for something less demanding that high power motors - ie. power bank.

3. You can get discrete components form the PCB, for parts.

4. Often only 1 or 2 cells are damaged. From 2 batteries, you can create one working one, if you're careful enough to not trigger failure mode in battery gauge controller.

5. You can connect the PCB to PC and start brute-forcing the lock key of the battery gauge controller chip. That is the chip which disables the battery if it thinks it's unusable/unsafe. The key is same for every Ph3 battery (and yes, I know some people did that and they do have the key).

6. If you have battery gauge controller chip key, you can replace the cells, reset the control board, and the battery will work as new (this is what we call refurbishing). Cells are priced circa 1/4 of DJI prices.
Sir, God has blessed you with a wonderful mind. I appreciate your contributions to this forum.

Reactions: KachemakDiver
I use damaged batteries for bench testing only. That is batteries with cracks or other defects. They are useful that way only. I also have non -OEM batteries that I use on the bench only.

Reactions: WV. Rootman

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic