Who(m?) to Contact

M

Melvoid

I recently bought a Mavic Air 2. In some areas, I have to request permission to fly. Usually, it sends out a request and I receive a text back with a passcode.

I don't have great service near home, and there are a few spots where I have no phone service, so I can't receive the codes. Is there someone or place I can contact in advance to get an OK?

I called the local, uncontrolled airport and they had no idea.

Thanks

I recently bought a Mavic Air 2. In some areas, I have to request permission to fly. Usually, it sends out a request and I receive a text back with a passcode.

I don't have great service near home, and there are a few spots where I have no phone service, so I can't receive the codes. Is there someone or place I can contact in advance to get an OK?

I called the local, uncontrolled airport and they had no idea.

Thanks
Are you referring to unlocking areas in the DJI FlySafe. If that is the case you can unlock ahead of time accessing FlySafe from your PC. Fly Safe - DJI

If you are flying in Controlled airspace make sure you get clearance through the LAANC system. I use Air Control from Aloft to submit my LAANC requests.

Reactions: Capt KO
Are you referring to unlocking areas in the DJI FlySafe. If that is the case you can unlock ahead of time accessing FlySafe from your PC. Fly Safe - DJI

If you are flying in Controlled airspace make sure you get clearance through the LAANC system. I use Air Control from Aloft to submit my LAANC requests.
That sounds like what I meant to say, yes. In this particular area, there's a small uncontrolled airport, but I was about 5 miles away. The one "official" I was able to speak to said he had no idea why I couldn't fly there, particularly since my intended maximum was about 50 feet... but also admitted he had no idea who to contact. I'll try FlySafe. Thanks.

That sounds like what I meant to say, yes. In this particular area, there's a small uncontrolled airport, but I was about 5 miles away. The one "official" I was able to speak to said he had no idea why I couldn't fly there, particularly since my intended maximum was about 50 feet... but also admitted he had no idea who to contact. I'll try FlySafe. Thanks.
If you use the B4UFLY app or its big brother Air Control it will let you know if you need clearance through the LAANC system. The small uncontrolled airport is likely in Class G airspace and you do not need clearance to fly (the 5 mile radius rule is long gone), but you still need to keep situational awareness to avoid manned aircraft of any type.

Exactly. Not sure on the class, but there's no tower, no control. As for situational awareness, the spot is 5 miles from said airport and I need to fly maybe 60 feet up, max. Among other things, the GoFly app actually alerts me when manned aircraft are approaching the area I'm in.

Anyway, they're preparing to replace an old trestle bridge, and I'd like to get some shots of it before it comes down.

I will look into the apps you mentioned. Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20