Who is up Flying in the Cold Today?

Reaction score
Hey, Just thought I'd check in to see who is up flying their Phantoms in cold weather conditions today........
Currently, there is a deep freeze across a large portion of Canada right now and I'm sure sections of the United States and elsewhere.

So, just checking in to see where the Phantoms are flying in the cold today...........and what the temperature there is.

Thanks! :)

Reactions: defvs
Flying under 0°C (degrees > Fahrenheit) is not a very good idea with Lithium Ion batteries, just to say. First you'll get huge voltage drops and the battery will drain faster. Be careful your drone doesn't fall from the sky ;)

I did fly my Phantom 4 Adv for the first time tonight in my garden, approx 5°C (if you call this cold, hehe), because I had to test a repair I did.

Greetings from southern France fella !

Reactions: rfaaj
I just flew 3 different flights (but with a Mavic) All were flown in around 28F temps. We've flown Search & Rescue down to 0F but we do take care to keep batteries warm and happy.

I keep the packs warm (soft sided cooler with hand warmer) and when they go in the bird I start it as soon as I can and allow it to hover for about 30sec before really pushing the battery hard.

I've been flying around -4 C with no problems this year. It's not as cold as last year. Last year my fingers couldn't last as long as the battery. It was around - 12 c.

Reactions: defvs
A few days ago I was in Swall Meadow near Bishop, CA, but a bit higher. Morning was 23ºF and I went up high to catch the sunrise.

swallmorning1.jpg

I was out flying yesterday, it was 0 degrees. Farkin cold!

Batteries In P4 held up quite well - what DID suck is the iPad I was using (started at 97% battery) died after 19 minutes, no warning, just suddenly black screen.

Fortunately, drone just sat there and waited for me to switch to my iPhone and pick up where I left off. I LOVE that - Seamless. Only thing missing was the flight record for the portion on the iPhone.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hey, Just thought I'd check in to see who is up flying their Phantoms in cold weather conditions today........
Currently, there is a deep freeze across a large portion of Canada right now and I'm sure sections of the United States and elsewhere.

So, just checking in to see where the Phantoms are flying in the cold today...........and what the temperature there is.

Thanks! :)
Delray Beach Florida winter today was 70. No wind great flying. First time my Phantom 4 Pro + out since I recoverd it from a tree but then recovery landed in a creek for about 15 mins. Still flies, sensors seem to be ok but camera & gimble smoked. Anyone know cost of repair

Was out doing a Follow mission with my P3S (AutoPilot) while walking around on the ice among the ice fisherman and ice huts. It was about -1C with a brisk wind. Have been out almost daily this last week or so. Coldest has been -19C.

Chris

I had to do a waypoint mission at the construction site of our new hospital. I and another Public Safety Officer on the UAV team drove out, got the videos our hospital marketing staff wants and got out of there as quickly as we could. It's days like today which make me glad I mainly stay in Dispatch.
At least it wasn't breezy like it was when I was out Sunday getting video. The wind was cutting through me and my fingers were getting numb. And then I was being reminded to fly over certain areas where I was already flying by a guy sitting in my nice warm dispatch center while I was standing in the parking lot outside of the Emergency Room wondering why I forgot my gloves. Yeah, today was bad but Sunday downright sucked.

It’s 30 degrees Centigrade today here in the mountains of South Africa. We’ve had perfect flying conditions over the past three days. Just about to fly again in an hour’s time before sunset. (We have snow here in winter.)

Reactions: DigitalSkyPilot
It’s 30 degrees Centigrade today here in the mountains of South Africa. We’ve had perfect flying conditions over the past three days. Just about to fly again in an hour’s time before sunset. (We have snow here in winter.)
Not for long if it’s 30C!

Reactions: DigitalSkyPilot
Flying under 0°C (degrees > Fahrenheit) is not a very good idea with Lithium Ion batteries, just to say. First you'll get huge voltage drops and the battery will drain faster. Be careful your drone doesn't fall from the sky ;)

I did fly my Phantom 4 Adv for the first time tonight in my garden, approx 5°C (if you call this cold, hehe), because I had to test a repair I did.

Greetings from southern France fella !

Actually because the Phantom uses a closed 'box' for its battery - the battery suitably warmed before flight will retain its heat when flown. Unlike many other RC models that the batterys are cooled by airflow over them.

I often fly in temps -5C ... -10C ... and my flight times on my P3P are not much different to summer time. I only like to fly to a max of 18mins anyway .. and winter flights in those temps - I regularly fly 14 - 15mins and land with reasonable battery capacity left.

Today I flew to video the snow patterns on the river ice after the strong winds etc. Temp was -2C on the ground and I can bet that the AC was experiencing colder than that.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not flying in the cold means missing out on some of the best shots !

Nigel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic