Who flys in the winter?

OK so while you guys were putting up with ridiculus freezing temps, we've had to put up with 40+C here. I don't think 40C will hurt the drone, not sure, anyone know whether it might get too hot for it?

So there was a light dusking of snow on my car....normally I would get the snowblower and clear it or make one of my kids do it...but I decided to see if the Mavic Pro can handle it.

Little flight in the snow ....

Nigel

Reactions: usbp481
I have been flying mine everyday. Weather here in Oklahoma with wind hill has been -3 degrees to low teens. Have had no issues. Had one battery warning because I didn't warm my battery. Soon as I got the warning message I brought the drone home and switched for a warm battery! Just don't fly it when it is actually snowing because of the circuit boards and other electronics.

9a23bfd55487cbbaeac85916cfd4d44c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Just don't fly it when it is actually snowing because of the circuit boards and other electronics.

Light flurries are no problem ... but proper snowing and heavy is not good idea.

Nigel

My back yard, -12c slight winds. P4 with no issues at that temp and flight times remain the same.
DJI_0023.JPG
DJI_0025.JPG

Our neighborhood in eastern South Dakota. It was 2 degrees F with a 12 mph NW wind. I'm an experienced photographer but brand new to drone flying and drone photography. I have a lot to learn about both. This is a 1600 ISO photo 1/8 second shutter and even though my app was telling me it was too windy to fly, I am amazed at the sharpness of the photo. Look closely and you'll see me sitting by one of the garage lights. All my wife could say when she saw the photo was that " my neighbor is doing a better job of keeping his driveway cleared than I am." Well I've got more important things to do. . . like flying my drone. [emoji846]

8c67617d73f39fea7ff44373f2c2943a.jpg

Our neighborhood in eastern South Dakota. It was 2 degrees F with a 12 mph NW wind. I'm an experienced photographer but brand new to drone flying and drone photography. I have a lot to learn about both. This is a 1600 ISO photo 1/8 second shutter and even though my app was telling me it was too windy to fly, I am amazed at the sharpness of the photo. Look closely and you'll see me sitting by one of the garage lights. All my wife could say when she saw the photo was that " my neighbor is doing a better job of keeping his driveway cleared than I am." Well I've got more important things to do. . . like flying my drone. [emoji846]

8c67617d73f39fea7ff44373f2c2943a.jpg

You should've known that was coming[emoji23] I'm married and usually know when to shut up and wait till she finds out, like when I bought my P3: I bought it on line and told her on the delivery day to look out for my package since it was a drone I've been showing her for the last three months Lol[emoji44]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: sshephard
I was lucky enough to get a P3S for Christmas and within a few days we had a great snowfall and around 20F temps.

Oops! Didn't know you should warm the batteries when flying in cold weather.
At what ambient temp should I consider warming. Have, been flying in around 3-5 degrees C. Not had any problems.

I'm Canadian and have no choice to fly in the cold if I want to fly at all. My advice to the guy's flying in the minuses F is not to hover around for too long as all the cold air rushing around your bird may drop the battery temperature too low. I fly my P4 for several minutes in s mode going at least 30mph, this higher amp draw will warm up the battery, I have almost the same flight times as I do in summer because the battery capacity is not depleted by the cold. At -20C (-4F) outdoors and running harder my battery will run at around 40C (104F). A couple of things can happen if your battery gets too cold, reduced flight time (that's the good one) or your battery may just shut down in mid air and you will be making snow angels with your craft (not so good).

Last edited:
Reactions: loonie01

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164