Who flies out-of-the-box stock, & why?

Reaction score
It can be fun to mod, but also intimidating & warranty voiding, but gain distance... lots of pros and cons.

Who flies bone stock, and WHY? Do you intend to continue to leave it stock?

Stickers and windsurfers aside (because they aren't permanent), just curious what you fly and why you don't mod.

Me:
P3S. I'm intrigued by DBS but plan to leave it stock for the duration of my store's all-perils warranty.
I have goodies like a windsurfer, OEM batteries, I put an Inspire tablet holder on it but did NOT drill the hole, I have prop guards coming but have decided not to use them because I don't want to touch the motor mount screws. I changed the camera/gimbal guard and attached a Getterback but so far that's it and probably will be until I go through a summer. All of that is removable and reversible.
For me there is probably a fear factor of messing up a pricey purchase while it's still as new as it is, and I purchased the warranty so I don't want to undermine it.

Reactions: Andy Ritchie
I haven't modified my P4 which I bought in November. The only mods I've thought about are range extenders (other than the copper things) and maybe battery mods. I'd have to do a lot of research before I did. I don't really need more range but having a stronger signal would be nice if it's not it's crazy directional and just helps with trees and such that block me.

The only mods I've thought about are range extenders

I'd have to do a lot of research before I did. I don't really need more range but having a stronger signal would be nice if it's not it's crazy directional and just helps with trees and such that block me.

Yes, that.

I plan on doing a lot of over-the-water flying his summer, and I'd like to be sure the signal is as strong as possible, but that said I also know the stock signal is strongest without obstructions and I don't even know yet if I'll have a problem.

Because my needs are specific, I am wondering if the ArgTEK is better since it can be less directional that DBS, so again, it stays stock until I am sure.

So... stock it will stay for now.

P3 Standard. Stock. My main goal is to get some great pictures of Mt. Rainier and a couple of other mountains, here in the NW. That, and I just enjoy zipping around my local flying field. I have no need to fly a mile away from my start point to get my pics. If I want a different view, I drive down the road. I have no need to fly above tree height. I often use trees to "mask" the foreground to block out houses or other stuff I don't want in my pics. For me, stock works just fine.

P3 Standard. Stock. My main goal is to get some great pictures of Mt. Rainier and a couple of other mountains, here in the NW. That, and I just enjoy zipping around my local flying field. I have no need to fly a mile away from my start point to get my pics. If I want a different view, I drive down the road. I have no need to fly above tree height. I often use trees to "mask" the foreground to block out houses or other stuff I don't want in my pics. For me, stock works just fine.

I like hearing that. I think they are great machines and are very capable, and while mods can enhance them I still think they can do a pretty good job on their own!

Reactions: Andy Ritchie
I've become comfortable flying now, lost signal a few times and trust RTH, trust myself not to panic understand how to re-orientate myself using the screen and that type of thing. Now I'm working on improving/learning camera skills. I honestly doubt I'll change anything anytime soon and just see what kind of cool shots I can get in the Rockies during the summer. Maybe in the fall I'll mod this P4 or maybe buy a P[next version], who knows. I'm enjoying this hobby a lot right now, learning is fun for me.

Is it stock if the lens filter on the camera has DJI on the lip?
I added the prop guards for visibility since we are LOS by law. breakaway so they would pop off and disperse energy with them instead of transferring to drone arm.
Plus some theorize over torq of engine bolts might be cause of arm cracking, so removing and replacing cant hurt,
another plus the prop guard screws are hex.
I do know I hit ground sideways at 25mph, and no damage to craft. props had lots of scratching, but that could have been tree limbs during landing and takeoff not ground.
In the US you have to ruin stock with a drone id number. So it would be Outlaw stock.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
I will likely stay stock because I have no purpose to exceed defaults. After two and a half months I'm still flying in beginner's mode and looking for good weather to step up and go to the next level in a large pasture where I have received permission to fly. I think I've reached a proficiency level to "fly" my P4 with knowledgeable safely; we'll see.
I'm in no rush and I don't equate my thinking and slow pace (it goes with my user name) to those folks who jump right out of the box to modify a neat little machine and then crash it and complain about their monetary loss.

Stock is great with this tech, but modding beckons. I don't need distance, but I require solid video feed at low passes. Good antennas and amps with wicked RX db does the job.

Last edited:
It can be fun to mod, but also intimidating & warranty voiding, but gain distance... lots of pros and cons.

Who flies bone stock, and WHY? Do you intend to continue to leave it stock?

Stickers and windsurfers aside (because they aren't permanent), just curious what you fly and why you don't mod.

Me:
P3S. I'm intrigued by DBS but plan to leave it stock for the duration of my store's all-perils warranty.
I have goodies like a windsurfer, OEM batteries, I put an Inspire tablet holder on it but did NOT drill the hole, I have prop guards coming but have decided not to use them because I don't want to touch the motor mount screws. I changed the camera/gimbal guard and attached a Getterback but so far that's it and probably will be until I go through a summer. All of that is removable and reversible.
For me there is probably a fear factor of messing up a pricey purchase while it's still as new as it is, and I purchased the warranty so I don't want to undermine it.
I have had a 3Advanced for over a year now and it is bone stock, right down to firmware, software and the old DJI Go app I originally installed.

Maybe I just got lucky, but I have had no real reason to change anything. I can easily fly over a mile over residential/industrial park areas, I have never had a flyaway and I also use Ultimate flight. And being a real photographer, i realize that my drone basically still, for all the hype, has a toy camera on it, it's strong point being that unlike the other cameras I use, it flies.

I have a lot of other hobbies which absorb a lot of time too, so the drone has been a trouble free little addition. So in my world, "Don't fix it until it is broke."

Your Mileage May Vary.

(A toy that flies,with a camera that gives you a extreme view with total control.)...

And being a real photographer, i realize that my drone basically still, for all the hype, has a toy camera on it, it's strong point being that unlike the other cameras I use, it flies.
I'm not a real photographer but have been into digital since day one. This camera reminds me of the early digital days but with a few more megapixels. The new perspective is what's really cool. I've been getting some nice sunset shots from my deck that I'd miss with my DSLR unless I drove 1/2 a mile to a ridge. It's so easy to grab the P4, send it up to 200 feet and hover for 20 mins snapping pictures.

I've become comfortable flying now, lost signal a few times and trust RTH, trust myself not to panic understand how to re-orientate myself using the screen and that type of thing. Now I'm working on improving/learning camera skills. I honestly doubt I'll change anything anytime soon and just see what kind of cool shots I can get in the Rockies during the summer. Maybe in the fall I'll mod this P4 or maybe buy a P[next version], who knows. I'm enjoying this hobby a lot right now, learning is fun for me.

That's pretty much me right now in a nutshell. I specifically got it in the winter so that by the time summer rolls around, I'll be more experienced with flying and can focus more on filming. It's not a lot of fun right now anyway... cold, and black & white, so I can work on flying skills without really caring what I'm shooting.

Otherwise, until I go through the summer, I won't even know what all the stocks systems are capable of so that's keeping me from rally wanting/needing to mod anything.

Is it stock if the lens filter on the camera has DJI on the lip?
I added the prop guards for visibility since we are LOS by law. breakaway so they would pop off and disperse energy with them instead of transferring to drone arm.
Plus some theorize over torq of engine bolts might be cause of arm cracking, so removing and replacing cant hurt,
another plus the prop guard screws are hex.
I do know I hit ground sideways at 25mph, and no damage to craft. props had lots of scratching, but that could have been tree limbs during landing and takeoff not ground.
In the US you have to ruin stock with a drone id number. So it would be Outlaw stock.

Prop guards are reasonable... especially when it comes to protecting the arms from cracking. By "mod", I'm thinking anything that can't be undone to return it to untraceable bone stock... no cut wires, replaced connections, holes drilled, solders etc... anything that you can put on that isn't made by DJI (even if your guards aren't, DJI still makes them so that's fair. So yes, I'd still consider that pretty much stock. That's a fair review!

That's pretty much me right now in a nutshell. I specifically got it in the winter so that by the time summer rolls around, I'll be more experienced with flying and can focus more on filming. It's not a lot of fun right now anyway... cold, and black & white, so I can work on flying skills without really caring what I'm shooting.

Otherwise, until I go through the summer, I won't even know what all the stocks systems are capable of so that's keeping me from rally wanting/needing to mod anything.
Exactly the same. I'm lucky I can fly from my house over about 30-50 acres of fields. I took it to a park the other day and everything was just as drab and boring (winter) so I just won't bother going anywhere until spring. I could go up to the mountains now but I'm not really into the cold, no hurry lots to learn.

I'm having fun getting sunsets and tiny planet 360s, I posted a couple in the video forum.

I will likely stay stock because I have no purpose to exceed defaults. After two and a half months I'm still flying in beginner's mode and looking for good weather to step up and go to the next level in a large pasture where I have received permission to fly. I think I've reached a proficiency level to "fly" my P4 with knowledgeable safely; we'll see.
I'm in no rush and I don't equate my thinking and slow pace (it goes with my user name) to those folks who jump right out of the box to modify a neat little machine and then crash it and complain about their monetary loss.

So true... after reading about all the cool stuff available I'll admit I got caught up in the "wow, I can make it go THAT far?!" But then started wondering if and why I would need to... and I'm backing away from that now.

My original thought was to leave it stock for a least a year, and then re-evaluate... then I read about cools mods... but like you said, worry about "complaining about the loss" if I do something that makes it a loss. So now I'm going back to my original thought.

Stock is great with this tech, but modding beckons. I don't need distance, but I require solid video feed at low passes. Good antennas and amps with wicked RX db does the job.

That's why I know after a year, I'll probably be chomping at the bit. But I'd like to try to see what a year of stock can do for me... if I can hold myself back!

I have a lot of other hobbies which absorb a lot of time too, so the drone has been a trouble free little addition. So in my world, "Don't fix it until it is broke."

Your Mileage May Vary.

I too have had a lot of good luck with everything. I got hit with the "interference warnings" but then the went away. I'd kicked myself for upgrading the firmware from stock, thinking that's what was causing them, but felt updating was what was intended and also felt the constant prompts would drive me insane so I folded... but now that that there was another update and the warnings have gone away again I'm ok with that.

As far as the "ain't broke don't fix it", DITTO.

Reactions: Jimz
Exactly the same. I'm lucky I can fly from my house over about 30-50 acres of fields. I took it to a park the other day and everything was just as drab and boring (winter) so I just won't bother going anywhere until spring. I could go up to the mountains now but I'm not really into the cold, no hurry lots to learn.

I'm having fun getting sunsets and tiny planet 360s, I posted a couple in the video forum.

I've always had a passion for amateur photography and had SLR's and DSLR's since teenage years. It's a fun hobby, and you really get accolades for that "great shot" average people never see or get themselves. I love the rush of that.

This is not only a way to bring photography to yet another level that the average person just won't do, but have a little fun doing it!

I'm moderately technically minded so this is a natural fit for me as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31