Which of these Phantoms would you get for a beginner?

Reaction score
Hey all. New guy first post. I know nothing so talk slow,,,lol.

I guess the first thing to ask is a Phantom even recommended for a beginner. I've never flown a drone before. But I did start to learn to fly rc planes about 30 years ago. But I gave them up due to the cost of crashing,,,,lol. Actually I thought it was cool to fly them way out and bring them back. But I found out that I had a floater in my eye and was following it instead of the plane. I lost 2 like that and gave it up.

I want a drone strictly for arial photography. I do have a gopro hero 4 silver, and a note 3 cell phone that I can put to use.

So in my area I have several to choose from at the moment.

1. Phantom 1. Comes with a couple of extra batteries for $150. But I hate the short run time on the P1.

2. Phantom 2. Plain Jane, 1 battery, no gimble. No extra nothing. $200. I think I can add a tx for my cell for fpv. Right?

3. Phantom 3 standard. 1 battery, case, no extras. But he says one of the motors doesn't work. $200-$220. I did a quick search and it seems it could just be a $20 motor or a new board. He has it cracked open. So if he's that smart I'm guessing it needs more than a motor. But not sure. Would you guys be afraid of this one.

Does the P3 camera shoot as good of video as my gopro. I know I can add my gopro to the other models but I'm real nervous about loosing a $400 camera in a fly away. I wouldn't have a problem though going with an older model and upgrade as I go. That might be better for me anyway since I'm an old fart on a fixed income,,,lol.

So you guys got any opinions. Thanks

P3 standard should be the best option. I wouldn't mess with one with a bad motor.

Forgot to ask.

Just because a drone has gps does that mean they will "follow me".

Or is that something totally different.

Forgot to ask.

Just because a drone has gps does that mean they will "follow me".

Or is that something totally different.
No, not in that sense. But they do have that capacity with the correct app.

If those are the 3 choices get the standard but not that one.
If you're a beginner don't get one that needs work
P1 was ok for it's time with the fc40 camera but you won't like it with short run time and a go pro
Don't think about the P2
The standard is great for beginners and shoots great video

This guy has a nice P3S for $275 shipped and doesn't need any work
P3S in box for sale

I guess the first thing to ask is a Phantom even recommended for a beginner. I've never flown a drone before. But I did start to learn to fly rc planes about 30 years ago. But I gave them up due to the cost of crashing,,,,lol. Actually I thought it was cool to fly them way out and bring them back. But I found out that I had a floater in my eye and was following it instead of the plane. I lost 2 like that and gave it up.

I want a drone strictly for arial photography. I do have a gopro hero 4 silver, and a note 3 cell phone that I can put to use.

1. Phantom 1. Comes with a couple of extra batteries for $150. But I hate the short run time on the P1.

2. Phantom 2. Plain Jane, 1 battery, no gimble. No extra nothing. $200. I think I can add a tx for my cell for fpv. Right?

3. Phantom 3 standard. 1 battery, case, no extras. But he says one of the motors doesn't work. $200-$220. I did a quick search and it seems it could just be a $20 motor or a new board. He has it cracked open. So if he's that smart I'm guessing it needs more than a motor. But not sure. Would you guys be afraid of this one.

Does the P3 camera shoot as good of video as my gopro. I know I can add my gopro to the other models but I'm real nervous about loosing a $400 camera in a fly away. I wouldn't have a problem though going with an older model and upgrade as I go. That might be better for me anyway since I'm an old fart on a fixed income,,,lol.

The answer to your second question is no because the P2 uses a 2.4GHz frequency, the TX uses 5.8GHz for video and your cell phone cannot receive a 5.8 GHz video signal at that frequency. Cell phones and GoPro cameras wifi use 2.4Ghz as well and would interfere with the controllers signal to the P2.

If those are the 3 choices get the standard but not that one.
If you're a beginner don't get one that needs work
P1 was ok for it's time with the fc40 camera but you won't like it with short run time and a go pro
Don't think about the P2
The standard is great for beginners and shoots great video

This guy has a nice P3S for $275 shipped and doesn't need any work
P3S in box for sale

Can you explain what's wrong with a p2.

$275 is more than I can spend right now.

Can you explain what's wrong with a p2.

$275 is more than I can spend right now.
The camera isn't as good and I've heard of issues with the electronics and batteries.
Why would you spend $220 and another $20 on a motor IF that's the problem and yet you won't spend $275 on a perfect bird?
You're opening up a whole can o worms with that broken P3S
Do you know how to solder?
If it's not the motor and you need a board it's $$$

The camera isn't as good and I've heard of issues with the electronics and batteries.
Why would you spend $220 and another $20 on a motor IF that's the problem and yet you won't spend $275 on a perfect bird?
Do you know how to solder?
If it's not the motor and you need a board it's $$$

That's why I asked if you guys would be afraid of that one,,,,lol. But I do know how to solder.

And I don't have $275. I'm an old fart on disability,,,lol.

Would the P3 have as good of video quality as my hero 4 silver?

Problem with go pro is wifi range and unstabilized gimbal and no up and down movement
sell that overpriced go pro and get a decent drone

Would the P3 have as good of video quality as my hero 4 silver?
Better.
If you are looking for a cheap drone, you'd do well to avoid the very old-tec ones you've looked at and get something using Lightbridge rather than wifi.
That means the P3 Advanced or pro.
A lightbridge controlled drone is going to be 10 times better than a wifi drone.
If your budget can't stretch to Lightbridge, at the least, get a P3 Standard.
It still uses wifi but is better in every way from the older P2 series.
If you have a P3 series drone, the camera is a flat field wideangle (no more fisheye).
You can control all camera functions in the air (not possible with the gopro).

Problem with go pro is wifi range and unstabilized gimbal and no up and down movement
sell that overpriced go pro and get a decent drone

I can't sell the gopro. I use it for too many things. I like to make "how to" repair videos and I use a chest rig with the gopro. Or I mount it to my Goldwing for some action vids,,,lol.

I'll be keepin the gopro,,,,lol.

Better.
If you are looking for a cheap drone, you'd do well to avoid the very old-tec ones you've looked at and get something using Lightbridge rather than wifi.
That means the P3 Advanced or pro.
A lightbridge controlled drone is going to be 10 times better than a wifi drone.
If your budget can't stretch to Lightbridge, at the least, get a P3 Standard.
It still uses wifi but is better in every way from the older P2 series.
If you have a P3 series drone, the camera is a flat field wideangle (no more fisheye).
You can control all camera functions in the air (not possible with the gopro).

Well I got one. But none of those listed above,,,,lol.

I did get a used P3. I hope I didn't get a junker though. One of the gimble motors came apart in a crash. Are those just pressed together? And the ribbon is torn. I'm hoping this is an easy fix. I'll start a new thread about it though.

I paid $150 for a P3 standard with an extra battery and extra radio. But it does have the motor issue. Did I do ok, or get screwed,,,lol.

Hey all. New guy first post. I know nothing so talk slow,,,lol. ........=
I am also new to this - just got my first Phantom last month - all went well until I got a little confidence..started showing off, mis-judged speed and distance, crashed into a tree - the fall ruined it beyond economical repair. Learn from my experience and dont get over-confident !
I want a drone strictly for arial photography....
Does the P3 camera shoot as good of video as my gopro
I have both a P3 and a GoPro. Both have excellent resolution and color-saturation. I have made enlagements of small areas; lno significant loss in sharpness-detail. Is there even "better" photography possible with the more expensive ones ? I dont know- in my case no need for "better". Given how good the P3 is, not sure I would recognize "better" !
I'm real nervous about loosing a $400 camera in a fly away.
I dont blame you - which is why I suggest being very conservative when you operate a drone!
I wouldn't have a problem though going with an older model and upgrade as I go. That might be better for me anyway since I'm an old fart on a fixed income,,,
me too...destroying my $400. Phantom 3 Standard was a major loss. ( but i liked it so much I ordered and recently received an exact replacement.. ouch !)

If the primary goal is aerial photography, then you want a Phantom 4. If price is a sticking point, consider a factory refurbished unit from DJI. Just about as good as new and a fair amount cheaper. NewEgg is an authorized re-seller for DJI and they set both new and refurb. You can get a refurb P4 for $799, a P3P for $699, or a P3S for $349.

If the primary goal is aerial photography, then you want a Phantom 4. If price is a sticking point, consider a factory refurbished unit from DJI. Just about as good as new and a fair amount cheaper. NewEgg is an authorized re-seller for DJI and they set both new and refurb. You can get a refurb P4 for $799, a P3P for $699, or a P3S for $349.

Thanks for the tip. But I'm not that serious about it. VERY amateur,,,lol. I may not even stick with it so I don't want to tie up that kind of money in it right now.

Besides. I got a P3 mentioned in my post #15 just above. Thanks though.

Lol!
sell the go pro and the Goldwing and get the Inpsire 2 combo.
it's only $6198 and FREE shipping and NO tax.
o_O

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj