Which Magic Power App to use???

需要安全验证 I believe you!! I don't know how to explain that? But I have created^^^ a Pole in my group... To Ask... You provided the proof!! That I always have to see to call it?? Right! But I still argue.. Come and look what people say?? I have wonder what "wide area coverage" means that is what Papa Tita explained to me.. I use amps.. And Still I found the video feed better with it..??? So.... It is magic to me?? LOL
Do my links work here?需要安全验证

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Do this happen to you at 1000
Yes. Magicpower absolutely helps for those in Europe. No argument there.
Does this happen to you at 1000m ?? (watch it at 1000m +)

Do this happen to you at 1000

Does this happen to you at 1000m ?? (watch it at 1000m +)

That comparison was not done in the USA... so I still don't see the proof. I'm guessing it was in Asia. Yes, Yes it will work there. My argument is not whether or not MagicPower works or not. My argument is that it is simply not needed in the USA, because in the USA power is at 27dbm.

I have only just found this forum recently and have read about a few ways that have been used to increase the power levels.

I did a simple script and placed it on the RC & AC. It monitors the result of iwinfo once per second and if the power level has changed it will set it back to what I want. I have not had a problem.

You could basically do this in one line..
Code:
if [[ $(iwinfo | grep -m1 Tx-Power: | awk '{print $2}') != 27 ]]; then iw reg set US; iw dev wlan0 set txpower limit 27; fi

Put it in a while loop with a sleep 1 and you have a way to keep your tx level at 27db..
If you do not how to ftp, telnet, use vi and write shell scripts you risk preventing your drone from working.

I had a look at Magic Power and it would be the safest way to do the mod. And even though I do not use it I would definitely recommend it if you want more range. I guess if the US is already set at 27db it will not make a change to the power output. BUT.

The "magic" from what I see is not so much the power output level 27db (already set I in the US), but rather Magic power has a bit of coding to adjust the ACK packet timeout when you get out to longer distances. Effectively keeping the video smoother by having less lost packets and re-sends of the video feed data.

Not sure if Papa has done any testing but there was a patch to iw to allow setting the distance to auto (dynack) and it dynamically changed the ACK timeout. That may work better for long distance. I have not done any tests as I do not fly long distance.

I just did a 50sec video of Wifi Analyser app showing the phantom signal strength if anyone is interested. It shows at 17db, 24db and 27db then back to 17 as I manually change it. It jumps about 10dBm on the scale as each change is made.

The "magic" from what I see is not so much the power output level 27db (already set I in the US), but rather Magic power has a bit of coding to adjust the ACK packet timeout when you get out to longer distances. Effectively keeping the video smoother by having less lost packets and re-sends of the video feed data.

See? Now THAT is the kind of info I'm looking for!!!

I have the day off and I'm bored, so.......

Each one got 2 full runs. As far as I could go. Remember, I am in the city and every single one of those houses you see on the map has WifI. Each photo is the best of the 2 runs. Yes, they are almost an hour apart, but that's the best I could do.

Here you go:

With MagicPower at 27dbm

View attachment 76801

Then reverted to stock:

View attachment 76802

Yes.... The one went 250 feet further, but we could blame that on poor controller aim. Or just not being on the EXACT same course. If it was 1000 feet, then yeah... I could believe it.

I have done what you guys have asked. Now someone on the other side of the fence should do the same. :)

Dang... That is a LOT of WiFi-s to fly over!!!
I'm lucky that my spot to fly over water has a beach to stand on = all WiFi are behind me and abreast of me...
I'm probably going to do two back to back flights there (can't make it to 4,000Ft there) with/without MPower since it's so easy/fast to re-flash, and I don't have enough battery for two 7,000+Ft Flights out west (if there's any wind)...
Hoping I can do the tomorrow and will report back...

I have only just found this forum recently and have read about a few ways that have been used to increase the power levels.

I did a simple script and placed it on the RC & AC. It monitors the result of iwinfo once per second and if the power level has changed it will set it back to what I want. I have not had a problem.

You could basically do this in one line..
Code:
if [[ $(iwinfo | grep -m1 Tx-Power: | awk '{print $2}') != 27 ]]; then iw reg set US; iw dev wlan0 set txpower limit 27; fi

Put it in a while loop with a sleep 1 and you have a way to keep your tx level at 27db..
If you do not how to ftp, telnet, use vi and write shell scripts you risk preventing your drone from working.

I had a look at Magic Power and it would be the safest way to do the mod. And even though I do not use it I would definitely recommend it if you want more range. I guess if the US is already set at 27db it will not make a change to the power output. BUT.

Not sure if Papa has done any testing but there was a patch to iw to allow setting the distance to auto (dynack) and it dynamically changed the ACK timeout. That may work better for long distance. I have not done any tests as I do not fly long distance.

I just did a 50sec video of Wifi Analyser app showing the phantom signal strength if anyone is interested. It shows at 17db, 24db and 27db then back to 17 as I manually change it. It jumps about 10dBm on the scale as each change is made.
You are explaining my script better than me. Thanks.

Reactions: KennethMcNutt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic