Which DJI Drone is better than a phantom 4

Reaction score
Is there a DJI drone that is better than a phantom 4 for general use, such as landscape or vacation video's or pictures?
Iam considering getting something smaller than a phantom 4, which is easier to transport around. Does any other drones give as good of pics as the phantom?

As far as I am concerned the Mavic 2 is all I will ever use anymore . I just am a hobby flier and it carries very well .
Don't have a 4 so not commenting on comparing picture quality but the way I see it it's what you do with it in post that makes it anyway .

Lol, well the $ does make a difference to me. Thanks to both for the info. I will research both of them

@Budsells , Warning, you may not like the Mavic Air for flight range if you're flying a P4 or P4P today using lightbridge/Ocu-Sync. The Mavic 2 works well for range with Ocu-Sync2 getting 3+ miles range. Mavic Air uses wifi and gets less than a mile range. Also, the Mavic 2 will have 22min (20% landing) flight times, the Mavic air is about 15min (20% landing). You get what you pay for.

When choosing the Mavic 2, the question is.... which one? The Mavic2zoom gives the same video/photo quality as the P4, using a similar 1/2" sensor. The Mavic2Pro uses a 1" sensor, producing better video and photos than your P4 (1/2" sensor). For portability the Mavic2 is pretty awesome, way smaller than a Phantom, especially when carrying it on an airplane for travel. With my M2Z I no longer worry about getting overhead storage space because my small M2Z backpack will fit under the seat if needed, and it carries more than what I need on vacation.

I chose the Mavic2 Zoom because the 2X optical zoom is pretty awesome, and the quality with 4K video is very good, WAY BETTER than my previous MavicPro (gen 1), which had a sub-par camera lens, IMO. The Mavic2Pro will have better low light capability, due to the larger 1" sensor, but the optical zoom in the Mavic2Zoom is more useful than low light capability of the M2P, for my needs. Since I don't take very many photos, and rarely fly in low light, which the M2P excels, I chose the M2Z. Also, I have a P4P with 1" sensor that I can use, and it supports 60FPS@4K, which the M2P does not support. This is another reason I wasn't interested in the M2P. If they ever come out with a Mavic3P with 60FPS@4K, I'll buy it. Although the M2Z is less expensive than the M2P, that wasn't a motivator in my case, but it's a nice to have of course. The Zoom was my main interest.

Last edited:
If I return to the original question: non If we are talking about the video quality.
Otherwise you should define your needs more exactly. If you need one that is better for taking it around then the Phantom is not at the top for sure.

If I return to the original question: non If we are talking about the video quality.
Actually there are two that provide better video quality than a P4. The P4P and M2P are both better video quality due to the 1" camera sensor, with the P4P being the best with 4K@60FPS support. Of course there are many additional craft that are better at a higher price range, but they are also larger, which isn't the OPs goal.

I suggested the M2Z because the video and photos are "as good as the P4", with the added benefit of the 2X optical zoom, which is really, I mean REALLY handy to frame a shot from a greater distance.

@Budsells , Warning, you may not like the Mavic Air for flight range if you're flying a P4 or P4P today using lightbridge/Ocu-Sync. The Mavic 2 works well for range with Ocu-Sync2 getting 3+ miles range. Mavic Air uses wifi and gets less than a mile range. Also, the Mavic 2 will have 22min (20% landing) flight times, the Mavic air is about 15min (20% landing). You get what you pay for.

When choosing the Mavic 2, the question is.... which one? The Mavic2zoom gives the same video/photo quality as the P4, using a similar 1/2" sensor. The Mavic2Pro uses a 1" sensor, producing better video and photos than your P4 (1/2" sensor).

I agree the Mavic 2 Pro has the 1" sensor, which is most similar to the Phantom 4 Pro series (which is no longer in production, per DJI's website). The Mavic 2 ZOOM only has a 1/2.3-inch sensor. Not sure what 1/2.3-inch means, exactly:
Pro-vs-Zoom-table-696x773.png

Reactions: makneyse
The Phantom 4 Pro will give you the best photo and video quality. Just look at Mavic 2 pro vs P4P videos on YouTube. You can't beat the 1 inch sensor on the P4P. Although the newer Mavic 2 Pro also has a 1 inch sensor, it does not seem to be as good.

The flight time of the Mavic Air is too short (and the video quality is far behind the P4P)

You can still get good deals on the P4P. I saved $500 on mine!

When choosing the Mavic 2, the question is.... which one? The Mavic2zoom gives the same video/photo quality as the P4, using a similar 1/2" sensor. The Mavic2Pro uses a 1" sensor, producing better video and photos than your P4 (1/2" sensor). For portability the Mavic2 is pretty awesome, way smaller than a Phantom, especially when carrying it on an airplane for travel. With my M2Z I no longer worry about getting overhead storage space because my small M2Z backpack will fit under the seat if needed, and it carries more than what I need on vacation.

I chose the Mavic2 Zoom because the 2X optical zoom is pretty awesome, and the quality with 4K video is very good, WAY BETTER than my previous MavicPro (gen 1), which had a sub-par camera lens, IMO. The Mavic2Pro will have better low light capability, due to the larger 1" sensor, but the optical zoom in the Mavic2Zoom is more useful than low light capability of the M2P, for my needs. Since I don't take very many photos, and rarely fly in low light, which the M2P excels, I chose the M2Z. Also, I have a P4P with 1" sensor that I can use, and it supports 60FPS@4K, which the M2P does not support. This is another reason I wasn't interested in the M2P. If they ever come out with a Mavic3P with 60FPS@4K, I'll buy it. Although the M2Z is less expensive than the M2P, that wasn't a motivator in my case, but it's a nice to have of course. The Zoom was my main interest.
John - How about when comparing all against the Phantom 4 Pro (version 1, not the 2)?

I really liked my Mavic Air for basic image and video capture. For most hobby use is was great. It did have three issues: very loud, short flight time, and short communications link range.

My first drone was a Phantom 4 Pro ... but it's issue was size and lack of portability. My current drone is a Mavic 2 Pro ... quiet, long range communications, and very portable. Also love the DJI Smart Controller.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic