Where to Fly

Reaction score
Hi, I live in Lebanon, TN, just east of Nashville, TN. I have a Phantom 4 Pro V.2 which I would like to fly. I'm prohibited from flying where I live due to being within 5 miles of a small (no control tower) municipal airport. I would like to know where other forum members who may live in or near Nashville/Lebanon, TN fly their drones? Thanks.

Beau

Reactions: Squirrel!
Were you advised by the FAA that you couldn't fly there? There are some exceptions for flying that apply to non-tower airports that allow for flying in the 5 mile area. I don't know if this document applies to your particular situation but you might want to read it and investigate further:

Flight Within 5 Miles of Non-Tower Airport

2edgesword, thank you for your reply. The FAA application, B4uFly, states, "Warning - Action Required, Your are within 5 miles of an airport. By Law, you must notify the airport operator and the air traffic control tower (if one is present) of your flight." Since M54, Lebanon Municipal Airport is non-towered, I'm not sure who I would contact to notify the airport operator of my intention to fly. Anyway, thank you for providing the link to the FAA AC No: 90-66B which I will review in-depth. A cursory examination of the document appears to allow me to fly within 5 miles. I understand that the FAA hired a company to review and update the B4uFly application so that it is more accurate.

2edgesword, thank you for your reply. The FAA application, B4uFly, states, "Warning - Action Required, Your are within 5 miles of an airport. By Law, you must notify the airport operator and the air traffic control tower (if one is present) of your flight." Since M54, Lebanon Municipal Airport is non-towered, I'm not sure who I would contact to notify the airport operator of my intention to fly. Anyway, thank you for providing the link to the FAA AC No: 90-66B which I will review in-depth. A cursory examination of the document appears to allow me to fly within 5 miles. I understand that the FAA hired a company to review and update the B4uFly application so that it is more accurate.

Here is the number your looking for
IMG_0463.jpg

The B4UFly app may not be 100% accurate. It shows two heliports in my area that aren't shown on the sectional charter. Having flown in the area since the 1980's I'd never seen or heard of flight operation from either one. One of them is less than a mile from my house so I seriously doubted there had been any flight operations from that heliport in the last 30+ years. The company that owned it moved out of the area five years ago. Beyond that the new FAA LAANC system doesn't indicate the area where these heliports are suppose to be located as restricted airspace. I notified them of what appears to be a discrepancy and they are looking into it.

ok I download this app y'all are talking about and it might be telling me I cant fly in my own yard ? it shows 3 helipads one is a hospital between 4-6 miles away and the other 2 are my neighbors and one lands in his yard and I've never seem a helicopter at the other . Whats this mean , I've wasted my money ??

No, B4UFly is the free FAA app., but there are other apps. that may tell you it’s ok to fly. Hover and Drone Buddy are two that I use. B4UFly is being updated so the new version should be significantly better.

Thanks for the link mdasbach, from what I can see the AC does not say I’m prohibited from flying because I’m within 5 miles of a non-towered airport.

However, what I’m really looking for is places to fly in Middle-Tennessee other than my backyard. I live in a sub-division and my neighbors would not understand flying a drone over their homes. Perhaps forum members living in the area will share their favorite areas to fly in Mid-Tennessee not near an airport.

I am dealing with similar concerns where I live. The warning message that comes up mentioning "loss of control" is a bit ominous.

Anyone that can comment on the "loss of control" message please educate me. I'll try to screen shot it, it happens during warm up typically. ( I'm a pretty new pilot ). I also get the inflight, approaching no fly zone msg. there is an unmanned tower and airstrip about 3 miles away. There are occasional helo landings. They are now installing a diesel power plant to one side of the runway, I have a feeling that would prevent plane landings, maybe not.

It's class G airspace below 700ft AGL for the area 5 miles radius of the airport. So if you are a 107 pilot you only need to stay clear of manned aircraft. Flying as an amateur, you use the 5 mile rule.
Screenshot_20190320-152931.jpeg

I’m a 107 pilot, but I thought the 5 mile rule applied to recreational as well as 107 pilots. Thanks for clarifying this difference.

Hi, I live in Lebanon, TN, just east of Nashville, TN. I have a Phantom 4 Pro V.2 which I would like to fly. I'm prohibited from flying where I live due to being within 5 miles of a small (no control tower) municipal airport. I would like to know where other forum members who may live in or near Nashville/Lebanon, TN fly their drones? Thanks.

Beau
Taken from DJI no fly zone map. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Leb01.JPG
    Leb01.JPG
    575.4 KB · Views: 312

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic