Where are the solo vs P3 comparison videos?

I really like seeing the competition between Solo and P3, maybe it will push the cost of the Solo down and push the features on the P3 along. I would not mind owning both (after they get the bugs worked out of the Solo)

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I own both. My wife and I took both out today with the intent to compare them. We just got the Solo 2 days ago. We purchased the P3 about a month ago and have a lot of experience with it. I also have an Iris+. So I have a little bit of hands on with these. 1st and foremost the Solo is a nice piece of hardware. Software....not so much. The app is buggy and as much as I hate the P3P compass cal dance it is far better than having to rip off the props and turn the quad on every **** side like you do with the Solo. I am that guy that calibrates everything before each flight. Once you get past all the calibrations you have to find GPS. Like my Iris+ it needs more than 7 sats to get going. That took me about 1-2 minutes to get the required amount...after moving the Solo a couple times until it was happy. By the time I was done doing all of this I was at 88% of battery. My P3P was up and ready including compass cal dance in less than 40 seconds. I know most would say to skip the compass calibration...But each time I start the Solo it asks for it. So I have no choice but to? That alone takes about 2 minutes. Once in the air hovering it feels solid. Looks solid. I put the solo to its fastest settings allowed and got on it. Up, down, forward, backward and side to side. Moved well, but loud ...louder than the P3P. Which makes it appear to be faster. One thing that bothers me is at medium to full speed, if you release the stick to neutral it almost appears as if the Solo wants to flip over from trying to stop. It really makes me uncomfortable seeing it do that.

The Solo is louder and seems to rev high so like I said earlier it appears to be fast. So I lined it up with my P3P and raced in a straight line forward. P3P pulled away after about 200 feet and didn't look back. As all that happened all I could hear was the Solo screaming. Maybe I have a bad one?

I can't really compare the video. That wouldn't be fair without the Solo gimbal. But what I can tell you is that I'm spoiled now having owned the P3 for a month now. I have an Iris+ that uses the GoPro. Man, I don't miss setting that thing up before every flight. Sometimes I would forget to turn it on...other times I would forget to put an SD card in and wouldn't notice till after getting everything mounted and about to take off.

I haven't looked deep into the Solo app settings but it doesn't appear to have a way of changing camera settings. I see that you can start and stop recording but I don't see where you can change WB or ISO or even camera to video. It's all there in my DJI app just a button away.

My bigger concern is the Solo app crashing and the way it looks like it wants to flip over when slowing/stopping it. In a 5 minute span my app crashed 3 times. And I really don't trust/like the wifi connection it requires. I would rather be hard wired like the P3.

Im not trying to bash on the Solo, I bought it and will hang on to it unless it commits suicide or they delay the gimbal again. I won't even get into my whole preorder with 3DR. I will try my best to get some video up when I get a chance. Any question I can help with just fire away.

I own both. My wife and I took both out today with the intent to compare them. We just got the Solo 2 days ago. We purchased the P3 about a month ago and have a lot of experience with it. I also have an Iris+. So I have a little bit of hands on with these. 1st and foremost the Solo is a nice piece of hardware. Software....not so much. The app is buggy and as much as I hate the P3P compass cal dance it is far better than having to rip off the props and turn the quad on every **** side like you do with the Solo. I am that guy that calibrates everything before each flight. Once you get past all the calibrations you have to find GPS. Like my Iris+ it needs more than 7 sats to get going. That took me about 1-2 minutes to get the required amount...after moving the Solo a couple times until it was happy. By the time I was done doing all of this I was at 88% of battery. My P3P was up and ready including compass cal dance in less than 40 seconds. I know most would say to skip the compass calibration...But each time I start the Solo it asks for it. So I have no choice but to? That alone takes about 2 minutes. Once in the air hovering it feels solid. Looks solid. I put the solo to its fastest settings allowed and got on it. Up, down, forward, backward and side to side. Moved well, but loud ...louder than the P3P. Which makes it appear to be faster. One thing that bothers me is at medium to full speed, if you release the stick to neutral it almost appears as if the Solo wants to flip over from trying to stop. It really makes me uncomfortable seeing it do that.

The Solo is louder and seems to rev high so like I said earlier it appears to be fast. So I lined it up with my P3P and raced in a straight line forward. P3P pulled away after about 200 feet and didn't look back. As all that happened all I could hear was the Solo screaming. Maybe I have a bad one?

I can't really compare the video. That wouldn't be fair without the Solo gimbal. But what I can tell you is that I'm spoiled now having owned the P3 for a month now. I have an Iris+ that uses the GoPro. Man, I don't miss setting that thing up before every flight. Sometimes I would forget to turn it on...other times I would forget to put an SD card in and wouldn't notice till after getting everything mounted and about to take off.

I haven't looked deep into the Solo app settings but it doesn't appear to have a way of changing camera settings. I see that you can start and stop recording but I don't see where you can change WB or ISO or even camera to video. It's all there in my DJI app just a button away.

My bigger concern is the Solo app crashing and the way it looks like it wants to flip over when slowing/stopping it. In a 5 minute span my app crashed 3 times. And I really don't trust/like the wifi connection it requires. I would rather be hard wired like the P3.

Im not trying to bash on the Solo, I bought it and will hang on to it unless it commits suicide or they delay the gimbal again. I won't even get into my whole preorder with 3DR. I will try my best to get some video up when I get a chance. Any question I can help with just fire away.
Thoughts on the controllers?

I do like the Solo controller more. It is a nice piece of hardware to look at. I will say this though. The antennas feel cheap. And the sticks feel short and cheap. The display on the remote is nice and gives telemetry but it is a bit redundant being the same info is on the app via tablet\phone. The function buttons on the P3 do feel sturdier.

So I lined it up with my P3P and raced in a straight line forward. P3P pulled away after about 200 feet and didn't look back. As all that happened all I could hear was the Solo screaming
Maybe your Solo is just a poor loser? ;)

Seriously though, nice review.

I found one, the P3 owner is probably making minor adjustments via the app while recording astonishing detail with the 4K camera and rock steady gimbal.
But the Solo is much more advanced as you can see.

It's hard to get a read on how accurate that is because in the description they say that the P3 moved a little during the shot but that was definitely more of a lopsided oval than a circle and did a pretty poor job of keeping the subject centered. I hope, for the sake of 3DR, that the software is a lot more accurate than that.

"But the Solo is much more advanced as you can see."

Much more advanced? How so? I own an Iris+ and have all the features the Solo have in regards to autonomous flight. As cool as those settings/features are...you wont be using them a couple weeks from now. I bought my Iris+ because of those features over getting a DJI at the time. But found myself like others not using them because they took a lot of time to set up and execute. I found that learning to fly better not only made these features useless to me but also made me a better pilot. And in my opinion, I would rather have full control over the quad than let it run itself. But again, that's just me.

Solo is born OLD. Too much old. No reasons to buy solo instead of p3. P3pro through 3rd party app already do what solo promise.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik